Ecuador/US: New indications of possible US involvement in attack on the Fiorella reaffirm the need for an urgent investigation — Ecuador/EEUU: Nuevos indicios sobre posible participación estadounidense en ataque contra el Fiorella reafirman necesidad de investigación urgente

Aug 22, 2026

Ecuador/US: New indications of possible US involvement in attack on the Fiorella reaffirm the need for an urgent investigation
"The role of the United States in this attack is increasingly difficult to deny. US authorities must impartially investigate the incident and, if sufficient and admissible evidence exists, establish criminal responsibility in the case. It must not be forgotten that eight families have been waiting for nearly seven months to find out what happened to their loved ones." — “El papel de Estados Unidos en este ataque es cada día más difícil de negar. Las autoridades estadounidenses deben investigar imparcialmente el suceso y, de existir pruebas suficientes y admisibles, establecer las responsabilidades penales del caso. No debe olvidarse que ocho familias llevan casi siete meses esperando saber qué ocurrió con sus seres queridos”.

In light of new revelations about the alleged involvement of the United States in attacks on Ecuadorian vessels, including the vessel Fiorella, eight of whose crew members are still missing, Ana Piquer, Amnesty International’s Americas Director, said:

“The role of the United States in this attack is increasingly difficult to deny. US authorities must impartially investigate the incident and, if sufficient and admissible evidence exists, establish criminal responsibility in the case. It must not be forgotten that eight families have been waiting for nearly seven months to find out what happened to their loved ones.”

“The role of the United States in this attack is increasingly difficult to deny. US authorities must impartially investigate the incident and, if sufficient and admissible evidence exists, establish criminal responsibility in the case.” Ana Piquer, Amnesty International’s Americas Director

On August 12, The New York Times published an investigation revealing that a maritime patrol aircraft, with English-speaking pilots and based at a military installation in El Salvador, flew and followed the vessel Fiorella for four days, including January 20, the day it disappeared. According to the newspaper, this aircraft is not part of the US government fleet but rather was registered to a private company in the state of Virginia, suggesting possible collaboration between private entities and US authorities in the attack.

The following day, on August 13, The Washington Post published a report alleging that the attack on the Fiorella had been perpetrated as part of a covert program by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), with the alleged direct approval of the president of the United States.

In July, Amnesty International reconstructed the Fiorella‘s trajectory using VMS (Vessel Monitoring System) data, corroborating that the vessel departed from the port of Jaramijó on January 13 and transmitted its last signal on January 20, in international waters between the Ecuadorian coast and the Galápagos Islands. Since then, eight of its ten crew members remain missing.

“The US Congress must continue to pursue legislative investigations into this incident, and take into account the possible involvement of government agencies in collaboration with private entities, given the new evidence available. It must also continue to demand accountability and transparency regarding all attacks on vessels in the Pacific and the Caribbean over the past year, which have been carried out as part of President Trump’s anti-drug policy. The human rights violations committed as part of these attacks, including more than 200 possible extrajudicial executions, cannot go unpunished,” said Piquer.

“The US Congress must continue to pursue legislative investigations into this incident, and take into account the possible involvement of government agencies in collaboration with private entities, given the new evidence available.” Ana Piquer, Amnesty International’s Americas Director

Amnesty International: https://www.amnesty.org/es/latest/news/2026/08/ecuador-eeuu-nuevos-indicios-sobre-posible-participacion-estadounidense-en-ataque-contra-el-fiorella-reafirman-necesidad-de-investigacion-urgente/

Ecuador/EEUU: Nuevos indicios sobre posible participación estadounidense en ataque contra el Fiorella reafirman necesidad de investigación urgente

Ante nuevas revelaciones sobre la presunta participación de Estados Unidos en los ataques contra de embarcaciones ecuatorianas, incluyendo la embarcación Fiorella, de la cual aún se desconoce el paradero de ocho de sus tripulantes, Ana Piquer, directora para las Américas de Amnistía Internacional, declaró:

“El papel de Estados Unidos en este ataque es cada día más difícil de negar. Las autoridades estadounidenses deben investigar imparcialmente el suceso y, de existir pruebas suficientes y admisibles, establecer las responsabilidades penales del caso. No debe olvidarse que ocho familias llevan casi siete meses esperando saber qué ocurrió con sus seres queridos”.

El papel de Estados Unidos en este ataque es cada día más difícil de negar. Las autoridades estadounidenses deben investigar imparcialmente el suceso y, de existir pruebas suficientes y admisibles, establecer las responsabilidades penales del caso”. Ana Piquer, directora para las Américas de Amnistía Internacional

El pasado 12 de agosto, el diario The New York Times publicó una investigación que develó que un avión de patrullaje marítimo, con pilotos angloparlantes y con base en una instalación militar en El Salvador, voló y siguió a la embarcación Fiorella por cuatro días, incluyendo el 20 de enero, día que desapareció. De acuerdo con el diario, dicho avión no forma parte de la flota estatal de Estados Unidos, sino que se encontraba registrado con una empresa privada en el estado de Virginia, sugiriendo una posible colaboración entre entidades privadas y las autoridades estadounidenses en el ataque.

Un día después, el 13 de agosto, el diario The Washington Post publicó un reportaje alegando que el ataque contra el Fiorella habría sido perpetrado como parte de un programa encubierto de la Agencia Central de Inteligencia (CIA, por sus siglas en inglés), con supuesta aprobación directa del presidente de los Estados Unidos.

En julio, Amnistía Internacional reconstruyó la trayectoria del Fiorella utilizado datos de VMS (Vessel Monitoring System), con los cuales corroboró que la embarcación zarpó del puerto de Jaramijó el 13 de enero y emitió su última señal el 20 de enero, en aguas internacionales entre la costa ecuatoriana y las Islas Galápagos. Desde entonces, ocho de sus diez tripulantes permanecen desaparecidos.

“El Congreso de Estados Unidos debe continuar impulsando investigaciones legislativas sobre este incidente, y tomar en cuenta la posible participación de agencias estatales en colaboración con entidades privadas, dada la nueva evidencia disponible. Asimismo, debe continuar exigiendo rendición de cuentas y transparencia frente a todos los ataques a embarcaciones en el Pacífico y el Caribe en el último año, que se han llevado a cabo como parte de la política antidrogas del presidente Trump. Las violaciones de derechos humanos cometidas como parte de estos ataques, incluyendo más de 200 posibles ejecuciones extrajudiciales, no pueden quedar en la impunidad”, declaró Piquer.

“El Congreso de Estados Unidos debe continuar impulsando investigaciones legislativas sobre este incidente, y tomar en cuenta la posible participación de agencias estatales en colaboración con entidades privadas, dada la nueva evidencia disponible”. Ana Piquer, directora para las Américas de Amnistía Internacional

Amnesty International: https://www.amnesty.org/es/latest/news/2026/08/ecuador-eeuu-nuevos-indicios-sobre-posible-participacion-estadounidense-en-ataque-contra-el-fiorella-reafirman-necesidad-de-investigacion-urgente/