Public transit operators who submitted a proposal to the Ministry of Public Works (MOP) requesting “a cap on the price of diesel” reported that they have received no response since delivering the document on April 17.
“So far we haven’t had any response. The problem is that all of a sudden there are going to be buses running out of fuel, and that’s why we need an immediate response from the government — to know whether they want to keep the sector alive or kill it. They need to tell us if they’re not going to offer any kind of solution, because so far we haven’t gotten one,” said one of the operators consulted, who is a member of the National Transportation Roundtable (MNT).
The source stressed that if fuel prices keep rising and they get no response from the government, it will be “like delivering a fatal blow to the sector.”
Although the MNT did not provide further details about the proposal at the time, it clarified that any option is “viable,” as they remain in “precarious conditions” due to high operating costs. The operators have also suggested a fare increase.
However, the government has made clear on many occasions that a fare increase is not up for discussion. On April 21, Deputy Minister of Transportation Nelson Reyes said that “before talking about raising fares, before talking about more subsidy payments, the thing to do is make [transit] efficient, run it the way a private company actually would, to become efficient in operations.”
Transportistas sin respuesta del Gobierno sobre precio tope de diésel
Por Claudia Espinoza
Empresarios del transporte público de pasajeros que presentaron una propuesta al Ministerio de Obras Públicas (MOP) para solicitar “un tope al precio del diésel” informaron que no han recibido respuesta luego de entregar el documento el pasado 17 de abril.
“Hasta el momento no hemos tenido ninguna respuesta. El problema es que de repente van a haber unidades que van a quedarse sin combustible y por eso necesitamos una respuesta inmediata del Gobierno, saber si ellos quieren darle vida al sector o si lo quieren matar. Que nos digan si ya no nos van a dar solución de ningún tipo, porque hasta ahorita no la hemos tenido”, dijo uno de los empresarios consultados y que forma parte de la Mesa Nacional del Transporte (MNT).
La fuente enfatizó que de seguir el alza de los precios del combustible y no obtener una respuesta del Gobierno es “como poner un tiro de gracia al sector”.
Aunque la MNT no brindó en esa ocasión más detalles sobre la propuesta, aclaró que cualquier opción es “viable”, ya continúan en “condiciones precarias” debido a los altos costos de operación. Los transportistas también han sugerido un aumento en la tarifa.
Sin embargo, el Gobierno ha dejado claro en muchas ocasiones que aumentar la tarifa no está en discusión. El 21 de abril, el viceministro de Transporte, Nelson Reyes dijo que “antes de hablar de subir una tarifa, antes de hablar de más pago de subsidio, es hacer eficiente (el transporte), hacerlo como una empresa privada realmente lo haría, hacerse eficiente en la operación”.
