Select Page

Carlos Mauricio Murcia Torres, 39, is about to complete 27 months in prison under the state of exception, accused of illegal association, after being arrested in a raid carried out by the National Civil Police (PNC) on April 25, 2022, in the district of San Luis Talpa, department of La Paz.

By the time he was arbitrarily arrested, according to his mother (who requested anonymity), Carlos was already suffering from seizures (resulting from his alcoholism) and urethral stricture (difficulty urinating), but in jail, he has developed other diseases, such as tuberculosis, anemia, high blood pressure, nephropathy (kidney diseases), scabies, etc.

Carlos’ mother found out that her son was seriously ill by mere chance, although she was already aware that prison would worsen his already critical health situation.

On April 10, someone who knows Carlos saw him admitted, bedridden on a stretcher at the Jorge Mazzini Hospital in Sonsonate; they managed to take a picture and send it to the detainee’s mother. The premonition that her son’s health would deteriorate was confirmed with that photo.

“My son is a corpse. I really don’t know if my son is still alive. If he’s alive, all I ask is that he receive the necessary medical attention; he’s very sick,” the woman told El Diario de Hoy.

Last Sunday, she went to drop off a package at the Izalco prison in Sonsonate; the person who received it assured her that Carlos was in the Special Health Care Center (CEAS) that operates in the prison compound. But Carlos’ mother has her doubts, due to so many cases of people who have died and their families have not been notified, she says.

The arrest and the lies

Carlos was arrested by San Luis Talpa police officers who arrived in the canton of Comalapa to carry out a raid. He was on his way to work when some officers took him down from a pick-up truck, told him he was under arrest and put him in the police vehicle, taking him to San Luis Talpa. When the family arrived at the substation, a police officer told them that they were going to release Carlos, that they already knew he was “a drunk but not a gang member; we’ll let him go, ma’am.”

Then they took his phone away to check it and determine if he had files related to gangs. After examining the device, they handed it over to a relative. They found nothing gang-related on the cell phone.

“Here, take it, the phone is clean. Wait, we’re going to release him,” a police officer told Carlos’ sister.

Later, another police officer came out to tell the family not to worry, that they were going to release him, “we already know this guy.”

But then another officer came out and told them to “buy him food and clothes because otherwise, he’d be naked in jail.” When the family asked why they were going to detain him if they already knew him, they said he would be released in 15 days.

Among the police officers who arrested Carlos, the family points to one who knew him very well but pretended not to know him when they claimed they were committing an injustice because they knew he was an alcoholic, not a gang member.

From hospital to hospital

Those 15 days have turned into more than 800 for Carlos. Meanwhile, his family has been trying to manage all the necessary documentation to prove that he genuinely suffers from various illnesses.

Medical records from the Zacatecoluca National Hospital and the Rosales National Hospital attest that Carlos suffers from seizure episodes and must take a series of medications to counteract them. The family fears that the lack of such medications may be worsening Carlos’ health condition.

A few months before being arrested, he underwent surgery. Documents from Rosales Hospital show that on December 21, 2021, he had surgery to close an ulcer that was affecting him as a result of a transurethral catheter (procedure to treat urinary symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate) that had been placed previously.

In August 2022, Carlos’ family sought help from the Human Rights Ombudsman’s Office, where they presented his health problems and provided medical documents supporting their claims; however, they have yet to receive the assistance they hoped for.

“The fear of the complainant is that her son has alcoholism problems, which have caused him health problems such as epilepsy, low potassium, magnesium, and sodium levels, in addition to seizures,” states a document in which the aid requested from Human Rights on behalf of Carlos is recorded.

Carlos’ mother asks judicial authorities to review her son’s case, as she believes that her son has been wrongfully imprisoned for a crime he did not commit. She claims that her son has never had ties to gangs and that the police deceived both him and her by telling them that they were aware that he was “a drunk, but not a gang member” and that he would soon be released.

Not the only case

In early June, several images of Marvin Alexis Diaz Lozano, a 23-year-old man imprisoned under the state of exception, went viral on social media. The young man appeared chained to a hospital stretcher with a visibly deteriorated health condition.

Eight days after the Movement of Victims of the Regime (MOVIR) published the photos showing Marvin in a deplorable state, the shackles and custody he had been subjected to since February 24 of this year were removed at Rosales Hospital.

Days later, on June 20, Marvin was discharged from Rosales Hospital, but with an uncertain future since, according to medical documents, the young man has lymphatic and lung cancer, tuberculosis, and other diseases he acquired while in prison for more than 20 months.

Marvin, who was in good health before October 5, 2022 (the day he was arrested), like any twenty-something, is now battling a terminal illness from his impoverished background.

More than 300 dead

In late May this year, the human rights organization Humanitarian Legal Aid (Socorro Jurídico Humanitario) reported that by May 27, they had registered 301 deaths of people imprisoned under the state of exception while in the custody of the state in various prisons.

The state of exception has been in effect since March 27, 2022, when Nayib Bukele’s government declared it to curb a surge in homicides committed by gang members between March 25 and 27, even though up until then, the government’s rhetoric praised the Territorial Control Plan, which had allegedly achieved a significant decrease in homicides.

However, US justice system documents claim that Bukele maintained a pact with the three main gangs to keep homicide rates low. Part of this deal included the non-extradition of high-level Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) leaders sought by the US Department of Justice.


Madre de detenido: “Mi hijo es un cadáver; no sé si sigue vivo”

Carlos Mauricio Murcia Torres, de 39 años, está próximo a cumplir 27 meses de estar preso bajo el régimen de excepción, acusado del delito de agrupaciones ilícitas, tras ser capturado en una redada que la Policía Nacional Civil (PNC) hizo el 25 de abril de 2022, en el distrito de San Luis Talpa, departamento de La Paz.

Para cuando lo arrestaron de manera arbitraria, según su madre ( quien pidió reserva de su identidad), Carlos ya padecía de convulsiones (derivadas de su alcoholismo) y estrechez uretral (dificultad para orinar), pero en la cárcel ha desarrollado otras enfermedades, como tuberculosis, anemia, hipertensión arterial, nefropatía (enfermedades de los riñones), escabiosis, etcétera.

La madre de Carlos se enteró de que su hijo estaba grave por mera casualidad, aunque ella ya estaba consciente que la prisión le agravaría su situación de salud crítica de por sí.

El 10 de abril, una persona que conoce a Carlos  vio que estaba ingresado, postrado en una camilla del hospital de Sonsonate, Jorge Mazzini; logró hacerle una foto y enviarla a la madre del detenido. El presentimiento de que la salud de su hijo se agravaría le fue confirmado con esa foto.

“Mi hijo es un cadáver. Realmente no sé si mi hijo sigue vivo. Si está vivo, yo lo único que pido es que le den la atención médica necesaria; él es muy enfermo”, afirmó la mujer en una conversación con El Diario de Hoy.

El domingo pasado fue a dejarle el paquete al penal de Izalco, en Sonsonate; quien lo recibió le afirmó que estaba en el Centro Especial de Atención en Salud (Ceas) que funciona en el recinto penitenciario. Pero la madre de Carlos tiene sus dudas, por tantos casos de gente que ha muerto y no le han avisado a los familiares, expresa.

La captura y las mentiras

Carlos fue capturado por policías de San Luis Talpa que llegaron al cantón Comalapa a hacer una redada. Él se dirigía a trabajar cuando unos policías lo bajaron de un pick up. le dijeron que estaba detenido y lo subieron al vehículo policial, llevándoselo a San Luis Talpa. Cuando los familiares llegaron a la subdelegación, un policía les dijo que ya se los iban a dar, que ya  conocían que “era bolo pero no pandillero; ya se lo vamos a dar, señora”.

Luego le quitaron el teléfono para revisarlo y determinar si andaba archivos alusivos a pandillas. Tras revisar el aparato se lo entregaron a un familiar. No hallaron nada alusivo a pandillas en el celular.

“Tome, aquí está el teléfono, está limpio. Espérese que ya se lo vamos a dar”, le dijo un policía a una hermana de Carlos. 

Después salió otro policía a decirle a la familia que no se preocupara, que ya se lo iban a entregar “a este bicho ya lo conocemos”.  

Pero luego salió otro agente a decirle que “le compraran comida y ropa porque si no iba a andar desnudo en la cárcel”. Cuando la familia preguntó por qué lo iban a detener si ya lo conocían, dijo que en 15 días saldría.

Entre los policías que detuvieron a Carlos, los familiares señalan a uno que lo conocía muy bien, pero llegado el momento se hizo el desentendido cuando le reclamaron que estaban cometiendo una injusticia porque sabían que era alcohólico mas no miembro de pandillas.

De hospital en hospital

Aquellos 15 días se han vuelto más de 800 para Carlos. Por su parte, su familia se ha esforzado en gestionar toda la documentación necesaria para demostrar que, verdaderamente, sufre de varias enfermedades.

Constancias médicas del hospital nacional de Zacatecoluca y del hospital nacional Rosales dan fe de que Carlos sufre de episodios de convulsiones y que para contrarrestarlos debe tomar una serie de medicamentos. La familia teme que la falta de tales medicinas pueda estar agravando la situación de salud de  Carlos.

Pocos meses antes de ser arrestado, fue sometido a una cirugía. Documentos del Hospital Rosales dan cuenta que el 21 de diciembre de 2021 le practicaron una cirugía para cerrarle una úlcera que lo afectaba como consecuencia de una sonda transuretral  (procedimiento para tratar los síntomas urinarios que provoca el agrandamiento de la próstata) que le habían colocado tiempo atrás.

En agosto de 2022, la familia de Carlos buscó ayuda en la Procuraduría de Derechos Humanos, donde expuso los problemas de salud de él y entregó documentos médicos que respaldaban sus afirmaciones; sin embargo, hasta el momento no ha recibido la ayuda que esperaba.

“El temor de la denunciante es que su hijo tiene problemas de alcoholismo, lo que le ha generado problemas de salud como epilepsia, se le baja el potasio, el magnesio y el sodio, además convulsiona”, reza en parte un documento en que consta la ayuda que se solicitó ante Derechos Humanos en favor de Carlos.

La madre de Carlos solicita a las autoridades judiciales revisar su caso, pues considera que con su hijo se ha cometido una injusticia al mantenerlo preso por un delito que no ha cometido. Ella asegura que su hijo nunca ha tenido vínculos con pandillas y que los policías lo engañaron, tanto como a ella, al decirles que estaban conscientes de que “era bolito, pero no pandillero” y que pronto saldría libre.

No es el único caso

A principios de junio, varias imágenes de Marvin Alexis Díaz Lozano, un joven de 23 años, preso bajo el régimen de excepción, se volvieron virales en redes sociales. El joven aparecía encadenado a la camilla de un hospital y con un estado de salud visiblemente deteriorado.

Ocho días después de que el Movimiento de Víctimas del Régimen (Movir) expusiera las fotografías que mostraban a Marvin en un estado deplorable, le retiraron los grilletes y la custodia a la que estaba sometido desde el 24 de febrero de este año, cuando fue internado en el Hospital Rosales.

Días después, el 20 de junio, Marvin fue dado de alta del hospital Rosales, pero con un futuro incierto pues, de acuerdo con documentos médicos, el joven tiene cáncer linfático y de pulmones, tiene tuberculosis y otras enfermedades que adquirió mientras estuvo en prisión durante más de 20 meses.

Marvin, quien antes del 5 de octubre del 2022 (día que fue arrestado) gozaba de buena salud,  como cualquier joven veinteañero, hoy se encuentra luchando desde su pobreza contra una enfermedad terminal.

Más de 300 muertos

A finales de mayo de este año, la organización de derechos humanos Socorro Jurídico Humanitario (SJH) informó que hasta el 27 de ese mes, habían registrado que 301 personas encarceladas bajo el régimen de excepción habían muerto mientras estaban bajo la custodia del Estado en diversas cárceles.

El régimen de excepción está vigente desde el 27 de marzo de 2022, cuando el gobierno de Nayib Bukele lo decretó para frenar una escalada de homicidios cometidos por miembros de pandillas, entre el 25 y 27 de marzo, a pesar de que hasta entonces, el discurso gubernamental era alabar el Plan Control Territorial con que, supuestamente, habían logrado una considerable disminución de homicidios.

Sin embargo, en documentos del sistema de justicia estadounidense, se afirma que Bukele mantenía un pacto con las tres principales pandillas para mantener bajos los índices de homicidios. Parte de ese trato era la no extradición de cabecillas de primer nivel de la Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) solicitados por el Departamento de Justicia de los Estados Unidos.