Select Page

On the evening of Friday, June 14th, the First Court Against Organized Crime sent 11 former combatants and war veterans to provisional prison, accusing them of acts of terrorism and rebellion against the State for allegedly planning an attack during the inauguration of President Nayib Bukele on June 1st.

The provisional detention will be for the next six months, and although the defense attorneys argued for the health of the defendants, the judge said she “will see later if the situation remains bad for them and will hold another hearing.” Santos Melara’s attorney, Roxana Cardona, reported this information.

“Many medical issues have been demonstrated. However, the judge believes that age does not determine non-culpability, and there are no good humanitarian measures in which to establish any exception for him (Santos Melara) to be released. What she did say is to conduct medical evaluations, and if they fail, she will order another hearing later,” Cardona said.

So far, she said, it is unknown to which prison the defendants will be taken, and the National Civil Police will decide that.

Meanwhile, Rudy Joya, an attorney for the Human Rights and Community Defense Unit (UNIDEHC), an organization defending Santos Melara and Luis Menjívar, said the judge has ruled that the case is confidential, so they cannot discuss it in depth.

He said the Attorney General’s Office presented “indicative” evidence but felt that “it does not prove the existence of a crime, and similarly, during the hearing’s proceedings, a series of rooted values were presented, which unfortunately were not given proper consideration by the Court.”

Regarding José Atilio Montalvo’s situation, Joya said that due to his serious health condition, he will remain detained at the Medical Surgical Hospital.

Montalvo’s family has denounced on social media and news outlets the serious health condition of the 72-year-old former FMLN leader, expressing fears for his life if he remains under confinement at El Penalito since his capture.

According to the National Civil Police’s first publication on the initial arrests on May 30th, the detainees were: José Santos Melara Yánez, Wilfredo Parada, Eliseo Alvarado, José Ismael Santos; Roberto Antonio Esquivel, Orlando Cartagena, Douglas Recinos, and Pedro Alfonso Mira. Atilio Montalvo’s and Luis Menjívar’s arrests were added the next day.

However, at the hearing, 11 defendants were mentioned, but only six from the previous list: Paredes, Melara Yánez, Alvarado, Montalvo, Roberto, Esquivel, Menjívar, and José Ismael. The new ones are: Alonso Mira Dimas, José Eliseo Segura Ramírez, Raúl Ernesto Gavidia Fajardo, and Carlos Mejía.

Orlando Cartagena, Douglas Recinos, and Pedro Alfonso Mira were not included on this new list. It is unknown what happened with these changes.

Regarding Santos Melara, his attorney, Roxana Cardona, and various organizations have reported his serious health situation, as he has more ulcers on his foot due to the diabetes he suffers from.

Last week, several organizations filed requests with the Human Rights Ombudsman (PDDH) for intervention and verification of the health status of the former combatants and war veterans.

Rudy Joya, defense attorney for Santos Melara and Luis Menjívar, said during the hearing:

On May 30th, the National Civil Police posted on their account that the captured individuals were planning “explosive attacks in various parts of the country for June 1st.” Later, they published that the explosives found in Guazapa were to be used to “detonate gas stations, supermarkets, and public institutions.”

Requesting collaboration from PDDH

Several organizations submitted a letter hours before the hearing to the Human Rights Ombudsman (PDDH) requesting a representative from the institution be present at the hearing, but no one came; the defense attorneys lamented the situation.

Days earlier, they had asked the PDDH to verify the health status of the nine arrested individuals, primarily Atilio Montalvo, who suffers from diabetes, heart disease, and kidney failure, and Santos Melara, who also has diabetes and ulcers on his feet because of it. So far, however, they have not received a response, they said.

LPG: https://www.laprensagrafica.com/elsalvador/Envian-a-prision-provisional-a-excombatientes-y-veteranos-de-guerra-por-supuestos-actos-de-terrorismo-20240614-0051.html

Envían a prisión provisional a excombatientes y veteranos de guerra por supuestos actos de terrorismo

La noche de este viernes 14 de junio el Tribunal Primero contra el Crimen Organizado envió a prisión provisional a los 11 excombatientes y veteranos de guerra, acusados de los delitos de actos de terrorismo y rebelión al Estado, por supuestamente planear un atentado durante la toma de posisión del presidente Nayib Bukele, el pasado 1 de junio.

La detención provisional será para los próximos seis meses y aunque los abogados defensores alegaron la salud de los imputados, la jueza dijo que “luego verá si la situación sigue mal para ellos y hará otra audiencia”. Así lo informó la abogada de Santos Melara, Roxana Cardona.

“Se demostraron bastantes cuestiones médicas. Sin embargo, la jueza es del criterio que la edad no determina la no culpabilidad, no hay medidas humanitarias buenas en las que se puede establecer algún tipo de salvedad para que él (Santos Melara) pueda salir. Lo que sí dijo es hacer unas evaluaciones médicas, y en caso ellos salen mal, ella va a mandar a hacer una audiencia más adelante”, aseveró Cardona.

Hasta el momento, dijo que se desconoce a qué penal serán llevados los procesados, y que eso lo decidirá la Policía Nacional Civil.

Por su parte, Rudy Joya abogado de la Unidad de Defensa de Derechos Humanos y Comunitarios (UNIDEHC), organización que defiende a Santos Melara y Luis Menjívar, dijo que no se puede profundizar porque la jueza decretó la reserva del caso.

Dijo que la Fiscalía presentó pruebas “indiciarias” pero le pareció que “no son elementos para nada indiciarios como para indicar que sí ha existido un delito, y de igual manera, dentro del desarrollo de la audiencia e presentó una serie de arraigos, que lamentablemente no se les dio el valor correspondiente a muchos de ellos, por parte del Tribunal”, aseveró.

Sobre la situación de José Atilio Montalvo, Joya dijo que por su grave condición de salud permanecerá detenido en el hospital Médico Quirúrgico.

La familia de Montalvo ha denunciado en redes sociales y medios de comunicación la grave situación de salud que padece el exdirigente del Fmln de 72 años, y han manifestado que temen por su vida si sigue en las condiciones de encierro en El Penalito desde que fue capturado.

Según la primera publicación de la Policía Nacional Civil en día de las primeras capturas el 30 de mayo, los capturados eran: José Santos Melara Yánez, Wilfredo Parada, Eliseo Alvarado, José Ismael Santos; Roberto Antonio Esquivel, Orlando Cartagena, Douglas Recinos y Pedro Alfonso Mira. A estas capturas se sumaron al siguiente día las de Atilio Montalvo y Luis Menjívar.

Sin embargo, en la audiencia de este día, se mencionaron a 11 personas procesadas, de estas, solo seis de la list anterior, que son: Paredes, Melara Yánez, Alvarado, Montalvo, Roberto, Esquivel, Menjívar, yJosé Ismael. Los nuevos son: Alonso Mira Dimas, José Eliseo Segura Ramírez, Raúl Ernesto Gavidia Fajardo y Carlos Mejía.

En esta nueva lista ya no salen Orlando Cartagena, Douglas Recinos y Pedro Alfonso Mira. Se desconoce qué pasó con estos cambios.

De Santos Melara, también su abogada, Roxana Cardona y diferentes organizaciones han dicho que tiene una situación grave de salud, ya que tiene más úlceras en su pie por la diabetes que padece.

La semana pasada, varias organizaciones se presentaron ante la Procuraduría para la Defensa de los Derechos Humanos (PDDH) para pedirle intervención y que verifique la situación de salud de los excombatientes y veteranos de guerra.

Rudy Joya, abogado defensor de Santos Melara y Luis Menjívar, manifestó que durante la audiencia

La Policía Nacional Civil publicó el 30 de mayo en su cuenta de X, que las personas capturadas estaban planificando “atentados con explosivos en varios puntos del país para el próximo 01 de junio”. Luego publicaron que los explosivos encontrados en Guazapa los utilizarían para “detonar gasolineras, supermercados e instituciones públicas”.

Pidieron colaboracióna PDDH 

Varias organizaciones presentaron una carta horas antes de la audiencia, ante la Procuraduría para la Defensa de los Derechos Humanos (PDDH) para que que un representante de la institución estuviera en la audiencia, pero no llegó nadie, los abogados defensores lamentaron la situación.

Días antes habían pedido a la PDDH que verificara la situación de salud de las nueve personas capturadas, principalmente Atilio Montalvo que padece de diabetes, del corazón y tiene insuficiencia renal y de Santos Melara, quien también tiene diabetes y por ello, tiene úlceras en sus pies, pero hasta el momento no han recibido respuesta, aseguraron.

LPG: https://www.laprensagrafica.com/elsalvador/Envian-a-prision-provisional-a-excombatientes-y-veteranos-de-guerra-por-supuestos-actos-de-terrorismo-20240614-0051.html