Select Page

More than twelve months have passed since Víctor Barahona, a community journalist in what is now the district of Apopa, was released after almost eleven months of imprisonment. His case is the first documented case of a Salvadoran journalist being captured and detained since the Legislative Assembly approved the state of exception for the first time.

“I had been told by several people: ‘tone it down, the conditions aren’t right.’ I didn’t think they would go to such extremes,” Barahona said in an exclusive interview with VOCES Diario digital.

Barahona was detained on June 7, 2022, during the first extensions of the state of exception, in Apopa. He was taken to a police station with handcuffs on his hands, was photographed, and accused of being an alleged “gang collaborator.” This was the beginning of an ordeal that lasted nearly a year.

Barahona remained imprisoned at the “La Esperanza” penitentiary center and later, at the Izalco prison.

“When I arrived, especially at the Izalco prison, the tape you carry is erased, and you start living another life. In that place, I was psychologically and physically tortured. It is not easy to see many things that happened or are still happening there, where you had no access to medicine, where you think you are going to die, that you won’t leave alive, where they treat you worse than an animal,” he expressed.

As Barahona told VOCES, many times it was imperceptible the days and hours he spent inside without communication to the outside, not even with his family. The only contact outside those walls came from food packages, albeit incomplete, sent by his loved ones.

Amid that dark scenario, Barahona always held firmly to one thought he could maintain most of the time: “I am going to get out of this place.” This thought frequently crossed his mind, followed by questioning whether his friends, neighbors, acquaintances, society would reject him after being deprived of his freedom, even without having committed a crime.

His days in detention, more than a year later, live in his mind like the day he felt he was dying or the day he received the news that he would finally leave that place, that cell 48.

“Víctor Barahona will not forget the day he was about to die. It was fever and fever. My cellmates said I was delirious. I won’t forget a young man when I told him, ‘I’ve told you where my family lives, just go and tell my children, my grandchildren, that I love them and ask them for forgiveness because I owe nothing (…) for having come to jail.’

The young man told me: ‘No, old man, I’m not going to your family to tell them that I saw you die. On the contrary, we are going to go together and tell them that we got out of this hell.’

“I will not forget those words because they gave me strength and that strength has me here,” Barahona said.

Even to this day, scars from that place remain on his body: visible on his arms are scars caused by illnesses from overcrowding or poor hygiene in similar places on human skin.

“I also remember the day when the guard went up, with his radio here (on his shoulder), and when it sounded, he said: take Víctor Barahona out of cell 48. That was my name and everyone in the same cell started saying ‘you’re leaving,’ ‘you’re free today.’ I didn’t believe it because many times at that hour, the Prosecutor’s Office arrived and read them other charges, and we saw them being recaptured,” he recounted.

It was not until May 19 that the news was confirmed and Barahona would finally see the light from outside the prison walls. That day a guard called the journalist by his name, instructed him to leave the cell, and, along with other prisoners, took photos of him and put him in a vehicle to be taken to a booth outside the prison. Once outside, freedom awaited him.

Of the eleven prisoners released that day in June, only four families came, all from Sonsonate. “I’m going to take the gentleman from Apopa,” Barahona heard. It was a woman who would sign for him and take him to where his relatives lived. He never found out who that woman was.

“The first thing I wanted was to see my family, but I was angry with them because they hadn’t come to pick me up. We arrived in Apopa, and the lady said, ‘I’ll take you all the way to your house.’ No, leave me at a nearby gas station,” Barahona told her.

“It was around 9:30 pm. My son and his wife had finished work. I sat there, grabbed him from behind, greeted him, and I just saw my son turn around: ‘Dad, what’s this? Look how you’ve come,’ he told me and started crying,” he recalled. His children and other relatives had not been notified of his release. Later, together with his son, they visited his other daughter, who suffered from depression due to the uncertainty and anxiety caused by her father’s capture.

Now that Barahona has regained his day-to-day life, alongside his family and even his work as a Salvadoran journalist, he maintains that his arrest “was only to silence me.” In light of this context, he even noted that he has been forced to “lower his profile” compared to his earlier days in more critical social injustice programs.

As the first journalist to be imprisoned under the state of exception, Barahona believes that his case, as well as the entire scenario in El Salvador, is an example of how complex journalism has become. “Harassment of the press has been increasing. More difficult years are ahead. The government must be open to constructive criticism. The press is not the enemy of the state, and a country without journalists will silence voices, and voices must not be silenced, they must continue to be heard and must continue to demand justice,” he expressed.

Because of his ordeal and experience, Barahona called on all Salvadoran journalists to unite to defend press freedom and freedom of expression and to continue denouncing human rights abuses and violations.

“I don’t want another journalist to end up in jail,” he reiterated.


“No creí que llegaran a tales extremos”: memorias de la celda 48 de Víctor Barahona, el primer periodista encarcelado en el régimen de excepción

Más de doce meses han transcurrido desde que Víctor Barahona, un periodista comunitario en el ahora distrito de Apopa, fue liberado después de casi once meses privado de libertad. Su caso es el primero documentado sobre un periodista salvadoreño capturado y detenido desde que la Asamblea Legislativa aprobó el régimen de excepción por primera vez.

“Ya me lo habían dicho varios: ‘baja el tono, no están las condiciones dadas’. No creí que llegaran a tales extremos”, sostuvo Barahona en una entrevista exclusiva con VOCES Diario digital.

Barahona fue detenido el 7 de junio de 2022, durante las primeras prórrogas del régimen de excepción, en Apopa. Lo llevaron a una delegación con esposas en sus manos, le tomaron fotografías y lo acusaron de ser un presunto “colaborador de pandillas”. Ese fue el inicio de una odisea de casi un año.

Barahona permaneció privado de libertad en el centro penitenciario “La Esperanza” y luego, en el centro penal de Izalco.

“Cuando yo llego, especialmente al penal de Izalco, se borra el caset que llevas y empiezas a vivir otra vida. En ese lugar es donde fui torturado psicológica y físicamente. No es fácil ver muchas cosas que sucedieron ahí o siguen pasando, en donde no tenías acceso a la medicina, en donde piensas que ahí vas a morir, que no saldrás vivo, donde te tratan peor que un animal”, expresó.

Según relató a VOCES, para Barahona eran muchas veces imperceptibles los días y las horas que pasó dentro y sin comunicación al exterior, ni siquiera con su familia. El único contacto fuera de aquellos muros fueron los paquetes alimenticios, que, aunque incompletos llegaban hasta él, sus seres queridos mandaban.

En medio de ese oscuro escenario, Barahona siempre tuvo en firme un pensamiento al que pudo mantener casi todo el tiempo: “yo voy a salir de este lugar”. Este pensamiento recorría frecuentemente su mente, seguido de cuestionar si sus amigos, vecinos, conocidos, la sociedad, lo rechazarían tras ser un privado de libertad, aún sin haber cometido un delito.

Sus días detenido, más de un año después, viven en su mente como el día en que sintió morir o el día que recibió la noticia que finalmente saldría de aquel lugar, de aquella celda 48.

“Víctor Barahona no va a olvidar el día que estuvo a punto de morir. Era fiebre y fiebre. Mis compañeros decían que yo deliraba. No voy a olvidar a un joven cuando yo le dije, ‘yo te he dicho dónde vive mi familia, solo ve y diles a mis hijos, a mis nietos, que los amo y que me perdonen porque yo debo nada (…), por haber venido a la cárcel’.

El joven me dijo: “No, viejo, yo no voy a ir donde tu familia a decirles que te vi morir. Al contrario, vamos a ir juntos a decirles que salimos de este infierno”.

“Esas palabras no las voy a olvidar porque me dieron fuerza y esa fuerza me tiene aquí”, dijo Barahona.

Incluso, a la fecha, cicatrices de ese lugar permanecen en su cuerpo: son visibles en sus brazos cicatrices hechas por las enfermedades que el nivel de hacinamiento o antihigiene de lugares similares provocan en la piel humana.

“También me acuerdo del día cuando subió el custodio, con su radio aquí (en su hombro) y cuando esta sonó dijo: saquen de la celda 48 a Víctor Barahona. Ese era mi nombre y empiezan todos (lo de la misma celda) ‘ya te vas’, ‘hoy vas libre’. No creía porque muchos a esas horas, la Fiscalía llegaba y les leían otros delitos y otros los mirábamos venir recapturados”, relató.

Fue, finalmente hasta el 19 de mayo, que aquella noticia se concretaría y Barahona vería finalmente la luz desde el exterior de muros penitenciarios. Ese día un custodio llamó al periodista por su nombre, le indicó salir de la celda, y, junto a otros privados de libertad más, le tomaron fotografías y lo subieron a un vehículo para transportarle a una caseta al exterior del centro penal. Estando afuera, la libertad le esperaba.

De los once privados liberados ese día de junio, únicamente llegaron cuatro familias, todas de Sonsonate. “Yo me voy a llevar al señor de Apopa”, escuchó Barahona. Se trató de una señora que firmaría por él y lo acercaría donde sus familiares vivían. Nunca supo quién fue esa mujer.

“Lo primero que quería era ver a mi familia, pero iba enojado con ellos porque no habían ido a traerme. Llegamos a Apopa y me dice -la señora-, ‘lo voy a dejar hasta su casa’. No, déjeme en una gasolinera cerca”, le dijo Barahona.

“Eran como las 9:30 de la noche. Habían terminado mi hijo con la esposa de trabajar. Ahí sentado lo agarro de espalda, lo saludo, y solo veo que mi hijo se voltea: ‘papá, ¿y eso?, mira cómo venís’, me dijo y se pone a llorar”, recordó. Sus hijos y demás familiares no habían sido notificados sobre su liberación. Posteriormente, junto a su hijo, fueron a visitar a su otra hija, quien padecía de la depresión por la incertidumbre y zozobra de la captura de su padre.

Ahora que Barahona ha recobrado su día a día, junto a su familia, incluso su labor como periodista salvadoreño, este sostuvo que su detención “solo era para silenciarme”. Frente a este contexto, incluso, señaló que se ha visto obligado a “bajar el perfil” a diferencia de sus antiguos días en programas más críticos de injusticias sociales.

Como el primer periodista que ha sido encarcelado en el marco del régimen de excepción, Barahona consideró que su caso, así como todo el escenario completo de El Salvador, es una muestra de lo complejo que se ha vuelto hacer periodismo. “Se ha venido incrementando el acoso a la prensa. Vienen años más difíciles. El gobierno tiene que ser accesible a la crítica constructiva. La prensa no es enemiga del Estado y, un país, si no tiene periodistas, se callan las voces y las voces no tienen que callar, las voces tienen que seguir sonando y tienen que seguir pidiendo justicia”, expresó.

Debido a su odisea, su experiencia, Barahona llamó a todas las personas periodistas salvadoreñas a unirse para defender las libertades de prensa y expresión, y para continuar denunciando las vulneraciones y violaciones a derechos humanos.

“No quiero que otro periodista vaya a terminar preso”, reiteró.