Select Page

In his first speech as a consolidated dictator—since he remained in power after controlling the Legislative Assembly and beheading the Supreme Court of Justice to achieve presidential re-election even though it was unconstitutional—Nayib Bukele portrayed himself as the only “doctor” who can “cure” all the ills afflicting El Salvador. He assured that he had already dealt with the “cancer of gangs” and that he would now “heal” the economy. In exchange, he only expects the Salvadoran people to trust his word, not to complain about the “bitter medicine” he will continue to prescribe, not to demand transparency, not to question his decisions, and to defend them “unwaveringly” against those who are “enemies of the people.”

The crowd listening to him at the back of Gerardo Barrios Park, euphoric and heated under the burning sun of San Salvador, raised their hands as a sign of having sworn loyalty and as a demonstration of submitting docilely to his will. 

In 35 minutes, Bukele reiterated his message to the nation with two simple and clear ideas, presenting them in such a way that anyone, even the most clueless, could understand them. First, he used an analogy in which he proclaimed himself as the “Miracle Doctor” capable of healing his patient: El Salvador.

“Now that we have fixed the most urgent issue, which was security, we are going to focus fully on the important problems, starting with the economy. And perhaps in this new treatment to heal the economy, perhaps we will also have to take bitter medicine,” he sentenced and added the second idea: To achieve this, three things are needed: “The guidance of God, the tireless work of the government and that the people once again defend to the last each of the decisions that are made, without hesitation; because the opposition is numerically insignificant, but rabid.”

He insisted on defending it and did not explain his plan or proposal to “heal” the Salvadoran economy, which is the most urgent concern to resolve for the population, according to various recent surveys.

In his message, he recalled the former presidents who preceded him and assured that none could solve the “cancer of gangs” and claimed that he had to do it personally, as if he were a doctor applying bitter but effective medicine.

“Salvadoran society is still like a sick person, it has had multiple diseases since it was born. Problems in the economy, health, education, infrastructure, employment, housing, and a long list. But more than 30 years ago a more serious and more urgent disease appeared: the cancer of gangs, which became the most urgent problem to solve at that time. And we all remember that. No government could fight it. What’s more, the medicine the governments gave only worsened the disease. It made it more serious and more painful,” he added.

What the dictator did not say is how he achieved this historic reduction in murders, although various investigations have shown that he negotiated with the different factions of the gangs in exchange for lowering the rates of violence. Even officials of his government helped the main leaders of the Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) who were imprisoned, had pending sentences, and were being requested for extradition by the United States to be tried for crimes committed in North America, to escape the country. Some of the officials who granted favours and even helped them flee are the director of the Social Fabric, Carlos Marroquín, and the director-general of Penal Centers, Osiris Luna. The de facto president also did not mention that his negotiations with the gangs were truncated and then he had to declare war on them through a state of exception, which has been in effect for two years now, to dismantle them. Under the excuse and impunity of the regime, the Police and the Armed Forces have committed a series of serious human rights violations, have arbitrarily arrested innocent people, and have persecuted the voices calling for justice and transparency from Bukele.

“Finally, tired but still with a little hope, this person went with an eighth doctor, and the latter told him that there was a cure, he told him from the first day that he might have to take bitter medicine, but that he would cure him of that cancer. The doctor gave him the treatment and the patient followed the instructions to the letter until the cancer disappeared. The cancer had practically completely disappeared, the patient was cured,” Bukele continued in his speech.

As in the past on February 4th, when he illegally won the presidential elections, Bukele delivered his speech from the balcony of the Red Hall of the National Palace. But this time, to the left of the windows, he was escorted by Vice President Félix Ulloa, while to the right appeared the King of Spain, Felipe VI. In the rest of the windows were the presidents and heads of state who arrived at the unconstitutional investiture, from Morocco, Belize, Equatorial Guinea, Ecuador, Argentina, Kosovo, Paraguay, Honduras, and Costa Rica.

He ended his speech by requesting a loyalty oath from his followers, who had arrived at the Gerardo Barrios square since 5:00 a.m. on buses provided by the ruling Nuevas Ideas party. All those thousands of followers were placed, standing, at the back of the square. While at the front and facing the palace facade, in elegant transparent chairs, were placed some officials such as the magistrates of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal and the attorney for the Defense of Human Rights, as well as allies and former officials of Bukele such as the former Secretary of Youth and radio announcer Salvador Alas “La Choly”.

Inside the palace—which was remodeled for the investiture without following a process to guarantee the conservation of cultural heritage—elegant and transparent chairs were placed for the diplomats attending the event, special guests such as the Attorney General and the President of the Supreme Court of Justice, the directors of his Nuevas Ideas party, his friends, and the presidential family. To reach these chairs, the diplomats walked on a red carpet until they found their seat in front of the stage where the President of the Legislative Assembly took the oath of Bukele to officially declare him as the “constitutional president of El Salvador” for the period 2024-2029.

However, the term “constitutional” is false. Bukele has violated at least six articles of the Constitution of the Republic that explicitly prohibit continuous presidential re-election and has clung to power by disobeying the Magna Carta, controlling public institutions, and persecuting his opponents and critics. In this sense, contrary to what Castro affirmed in the swearing-in, Bukele is actually an unconstitutional president, someone who usurps the presidency and a dictator who instrumentalizes the Armed Forces in the style of the dictators of the last century, such as Maximiliano Hernández Martínez who also controlled institutions, manipulated the Constitution to stay in power for 13 years, and maintained a state of exception under the pretext of providing security to the population and liberating it from communism, but in reality served to persecute his critics.

A theatrical performance with planes and soldiers

Before being sworn in, Bukele made himself wait 15 minutes after all the diplomats, special guests, and his vice president Félix Ulloa had settled inside the palace. Meanwhile, the official voice of the government interrupted the silence to release bombastic phrases to exalt the image of the president. Some of these were: “The elected president has become the most popular and influential in Latin America” and “Five years ago, Nayib Bukele began to be known, as the Millennial president and the coolest president, thanks to his ideas that broke the traditional scheme.”

When he finally arrived, in his presidential caravan, he got out of a black van dressed in a jubba, which according to El Diario de Hoy, is a long outer garment that resembles an open coat, has long sleeves, and was used in ancient Muslim countries, especially by public officials and professionals. The garment also recalls the military attire that was used in the 18th century and that was seen worn by Frenchman Napoleon Bonaparte and Salvadoran general Gerardo Barrios.

As he got out of the vehicle, the president walked with his wife Gabriela on the red carpet towards the main entrance of the palace, as the orchestra played in the background what seemed to be the soundtrack or song of the event: “Wild Colonial Boy,” a traditional Irish tune.

On his walk down the red carpet, soldiers dressed in an elegant costume that included a cape formed an aisle. The soldiers’ attire also recalls Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet and the clothing of some imperial soldiers in the Star Wars film saga.

Acclaimed by the crowd as if he were a rock star, he entered the palace and was placed in a hallway above all the guests, above diplomacy, family, and friends. The scene seemed to mark that Bukele was above everyone, and the special guests, his family, and party directors were in the background. In third place were the soldiers who were everywhere paying him reverence. In fourth place were the guests who were seated under the burning sun outside the palace. In fifth place were the deputies who were locked in the main hall of the National Theater, as filler actors for this staging with touches of a theatrical work called “solemn session for the presidential inauguration.” And in the last plane, the thousands of citizens who came, up to the back part of the Gerardo Barrios square, to swear loyalty to their leader, repeating: “We swear to unconditionally defend our nation’s project, following each step to the letter, without complaining, asking for God’s wisdom so that our country may be blessed again with another miracle. And we swear never to listen to the enemies of the people.”

After his inauguration, he went out to the balcony, greeted the euphoric crowd, and then watched the parade of two thousand military personnel who paid him honors for being the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces. Below, in front of the balcony, the soldiers paraded, above six planes flew over the palace expelling blue and white smoke to draw the Salvadoran flag in the sky, and on the south side of the palace, gunners exploded cannons in a square called “Central America.” The event seemed like a stage setting, in every way, of a cinematic kind with special effects to ingratiate themselves with the new Salvadoran dictator, in a country that has a history of crimes against humanity committed by the military who were instrumentalized by the rulers of the time for political and partisan purposes and for political clientelism.

The usual censorship

While the investiture ceremony was taking place, dozens of national and international journalists documented the event but on the terms dictated by Bukele’s Government. They were not allowed to enter the palace and were not allowed to cover the event on their own. They were instructed to request an accreditation, and once approved, they had to go to the University of El Salvador to be registered and sent by bus to the scaffolds enabled for photographers and videographers.

GatoEncerrado journalists followed the process. They arrived at gate 8 of the university before 5:00 a.m. and boarded one of the buses for journalists who were escorted by motorcycle patrols from the Vice Ministry of Transport to the Historic Center of San Salvador.

In the center, they were dropped off at 3rd Street East and Monseñor Romero Avenue, right at the corner where the old lottery building is located. There it was necessary to pass through five security fences to reach Gerardo Barrios square, where hundreds of people were already waiting for the investiture to begin.

When the clock struck 8:05 a.m., the president of the Legislative Assembly, Ernesto Castro, began the solemn session in the National Theater, an architectural gem that was also intervened for this event. In the main hall, the seats were replaced by chairs and desks for the 57 ruling party deputies and their allies since the three opposition deputies did not attend.

The only agenda item that Castro submitted for approval was to request authorization to move to take the oath of Bukele and Ulloa at the National Palace. Unanimously, the 57 deputies present approved the request.

The solemn session of the Assembly also could not be documented by journalists. The entrance to the National Theater was also a restricted area. The only ones authorized to enter these places were the communications employees of Bukele’s Government.

After the vote, Castro moved to the facade of the National Palace, where he also walked down the red carpet to the interior of the building.

At the end of the event, the journalists were transported on the same buses back to the University of El Salvador.

Bukele’s faithful

Behind the scaffolding where the journalists were, in the back part of Gerardo Barrios square, Bukele’s followers were gathered, apparently unfazed by the high temperatures on that Saturday, June 1st. They did not mind walking several blocks, even with children in their arms, to get close to the palace on the terms dictated by the government.

The security device set specific access points, which generated long lines and the desperation of some who no longer wanted to wait to approach the palace: “Let’s move forward, I see that everyone got out of the line,” commented a woman with an umbrella to the rest of the people accompanying her in one of the lines.

The entrance to the Gerardo Barrios Square, as verified by this magazine, was slow and complicated. Many people opted to stay in the Plaza Libertad and listen to the event from there. Those who decided to continue in the lines and approach had to pass through metal detectors, but this also delayed entry to the square.

“Is it difficult to get there, shall we go in?” one man said to another, among the crowd.

“Let’s go then, we came to see,” the other replied, and then they threw themselves into the fray to get as close as possible to the barrier that blocked access to the palace facade.

There were so many people who wanted to get closer that some gave up and settled for watching the event from the screens that were placed outside the square.

Some of those who triumphed and made it to the separators halfway through the Gerardo Barrios square showed disappointment when they found out that the investiture act was held inside the palace behind closed doors.

“To watch it on TV, I’d rather stay at home,” said a woman, while other attendees seemed to have a commitment to being there because it had been asked of them.

“At least we’ve done our part,” said a student dressed in his school uniform. “Yes, right,” replied the teacher, sitting on the sidewalk and shielding his face from the sun.

“At least for the photo,” the student finished.

A common factor among all attendees was the search for shade to shelter from the sun and withstand the sweltering heat. The fans, distributed by the government collaborators, were a highly appreciated item to the point that some people picked up those that were lying on the street.

There was no shortage of vuvuzelas, that kind of trumpet that the attendees sounded upon Bukele’s arrival and during different moments of his speech, although not with the same enthusiasm as at the beginning. Also, some of the attendees showed their surprise when the Air Force planes passed by, drawing the flag of El Salvador: “Those planes are cool,” a woman commented to her husband, while someone else yelled, “Yeah, my president!”

Many people left when Bukele’s speech was just beginning, probably to meet a pre-established departure time with those buses that had to return to departments farther away from the capital. Others who stayed to listen did not pay special attention, as they were more focused on their cell phones or chatting with other companions.

The only two moments when the crowd paid attention were when Bukele asked them to swear that they would follow him without complaining and that they would defend every decision. They also kept quiet when the Archbishop of San Salvador, José Luis Escobar Alas, and Argentine pastor Dante Gebel, religious accomplices of the dictatorship, raised a prayer for God to bless Bukele.

By the time the event ended, the people who had been standing for more than three hours began to walk again through the blocks that had been closed by the security device.

Gato Encerrado:

Bukele promete “sanar” la economía y exige obediencia incondicional

En su primer discurso como dictador consolidado —ya que se quedó en el poder luego de controlar a la Asamblea Legislativa y descabezar a la Corte Suprema de Justicia para conseguir la reelección presidencial a pesar de que era inconstitucional— Nayib Bukele se vendió como el único “doctor” que puede “curar” todos los males que sufre El Salvador. Aseguró que ya se ocupó del “cáncer de las pandillas” y que ahora “sanará” la economía. A cambio, sólo espera que el pueblo salvadoreño confíe en su palabra, que no se queje de la “medicina amarga” que va a seguir recetando, que no pida transparencia, que no cuestione sus decisiones y que las defienda “sin titubear” de aquellos que son “enemigos del pueblo”.

La multitud que lo escuchaba en la parte de atrás del parque Gerardo Barrios, eufórica y acalorada bajo el sol ardiente de San Salvador, levantó su mano en señal de haber jurado lealtad y como muestra de someterse dócilmente a su voluntad. 

En 35 minutos, Bukele reiteró su mensaje a la nación con dos ideas simples y claras, presentándolas de manera que cualquier persona, incluso las más despistadas, pudiera entenderlas. Primero, empleó una analogía en la que se autoproclamó como el “Doctor Milagro” capaz de sanar a su paciente: El Salvador.

“Ahora que ya arreglamos lo más urgente que era la seguridad, vamos a enfocarnos de lleno en los problemas importantes, empezando por la economía. Y quizá en este nuevo tratamiento para sanar la economía, quizá también haya que tomar medicina amarga”, sentenció y agregó la segunda idea: Para lograrlo se necesitan tres cosas: “La guía de Dios, el trabajo incansable del gobierno y que el pueblo vuelva a defender a capa y espada cada una de las decisiones que se tomen, sin titubeos; porque la oposición es numéricamente insignificante, pero rabiosa”. 

Insistió en defenderlo y no explicó cuál es su plan o propuesta para “sanar” la economía salvadoreña, que es la preocupación más urgente de resolver para la población, según diferentes encuestas recientes. 

En su mensaje, recordó a los expresidentes que le precedieron y aseguró que ninguno pudo resolver el “cáncer de las pandillas” y afirmó que por eso tuvo que hacerlo personalmente, como si fuera un doctor que aplica medicina amarga, pero efectiva.

“La sociedad salvadoreña es como una persona enferma aún, ha tenido múltiples enfermedades desde que nació. Problemas en economía, en salud, en educación, en infraestructura, en empleo, en vivienda y en una larga lista. Pero hace más de 30 años apareció una enfermedad más grave y más urgente: el cáncer de las pandillas, que se volvió en ese momento lo más urgente de resolver. Y todos recordamos eso. Ningún gobierno pudo combatirlo. Es más, la medicina que los gobiernos dieron sólo empeoró la enfermedad. La hizo más grave y más dolorosa”, agregó.

Lo que el dictador no dijo es cómo logró esta histórica reducción de asesinatos, aunque diversas investigaciones han mostrado que negoció con las diferentes facciones de las pandillas a cambio de bajar los índices de violencia. Incluso, funcionarios de su gobierno ayudaron a escapar del país a los principales líderes de la Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) que estaban encarcelados, tenían condenas pendientes y que Estados Unidos estaba solicitando su extradición para juzgarlos por crímenes cometidos en Norteamérica. Algunos de los funcionarios que les concedieron favores e incluso los ayudaron a huir son el director de Tejido Social, Carlos Marroquín, y el director general de Centros Penales, Osiris Luna. El presidente de facto tampoco dijo que sus negociaciones con las pandillas se truncaron y que entonces tuvo que declararles la guerra a través de un régimen de excepción, que sigue vigente desde hace dos años, para desarticularlas. Bajo excusa e impunidad del régimen, la Policía y la Fuerza Armada han cometido una serie de graves violaciones a los derechos humanos, han capturado arbitrariamente a personas inocentes y han perseguido a las voces que piden justicia y transparencia a Bukele.

“Finalmente, cansado, pero todavía con un poquito de esperanza, esta persona fue con un octavo doctor, y este último le dijo que sí había cura, le dijo desde el primer día que tal vez iba a tener que tomar medicina amarga, pero que lo iba a curar de ese cáncer. El doctor le dio el tratamiento y el paciente siguió las instrucciones al pie de la letra, hasta que el cáncer desapareció. El cáncer había desaparecido prácticamente por completo, el paciente estaba curado”, prosiguió Bukele en su discurso. 

Al igual que el pasado 4 de febrero, cuando ganó ilegalmente las elecciones presidenciales, Bukele pronunció su discurso desde el balcón del Salón Rojo del Palacio Nacional. Pero esta vez, en las ventanas de la izquierda era escoltado por el vicepresidente Félix Ulloa, mientras que a la derecha aparecía el Rey de España, Felipe VI. En el resto de las ventanas estaban los presidentes y jefes de Estado que llegaron a la investidura inconstitucional, desde Marruecos, Belice, Guinea Ecuatorial, Ecuador, Argentina, Kosovo, Paraguay, Honduras y Costa Rica.

Terminó su discurso pidiendo un juramento de lealtad que pidió a sus seguidores, que habían llegado desde las 5:00 de la mañana a la plaza Gerardo Barrios en autobuses proveídos por el partido oficialista Nuevas Ideas. Todos esos miles de seguidores fueron ubicados, de pie, en la parte trasera de la plaza. Mientras que en la parte delantera y de frente a la fachada del palacio, en elegantes sillas transparentes, fueron ubicados algunos funcionarios como los magistrados del Tribunal Supremo Electoral y la procuradora para la Defensa de los Derechos Humanos, además de aliados y exfuncionarios de Bukele como el exsecretario de Juventud y locutor de radio, Salvador Alas “La Choly”.     

Dentro del palacio —que fue remodelado para la investidura sin seguir un proceso para garantizar la conservación del patrimonio cultural—, fueron ubicados en sillas elegantes y transparentes los diplomáticos que asistieron al evento, los invitados especiales como el fiscal general y el presidente de la Corte Suprema de Justicia, los directivos de su partido Nuevas Ideas, sus amigos y la familia presidencial. Para llegar a esas sillas, los diplomáticos caminaron sobre una alfombra roja hasta que encontraron su asiento frente a la tarima donde el presidente de la Asamblea Legislativa tomó protesta a Bukele para declararlo oficialmente como “presidente constitucional de El Salvador” para el periodo 2024-2029. 

Lo de “constitucional”, sin embargo, es falso. Bukele ha violado, al menos, seis artículos de la Constitución de la República que prohíben explícitamente la reelección presidencial continua y se ha aferrado al poder desobedeciendo a la Carta Magna, está controlando las instituciones públicas y persiguiendo a sus opositores y críticos. En ese sentido, contrario a lo que afirmó Castro en la juramentación, Bukele en realidad es un presidente inconstitucional, alguien que usurpa la presidencia y un dictador que instrumentaliza a la Fuerza Armada al estilo de los dictadores del siglo pasado, como Maximiliano Hernández Martínez quien también controló las instituciones, manipuló la Constitución para quedarse en el poder por 13 años y mantuvo un régimen de excepción bajo excusa de brindar seguridad a la población y liberarla del comunismo, pero en realidad sirvió para perseguir a sus críticos.

Una obra teatral con aviones y militares

Antes de ser juramentado, Bukele se hizo esperar 15 minutos después de que todos los diplomáticos, invitados especiales y su vicepresidente Félix Ulloa se habían ubicado en el interior del palacio. Entre tanto, la voz oficial del gobierno interrumpía el silencio para soltar frases rimbombantes para exaltar la imagen del mandatario. Algunas de esas fueron: “El presidente electo se ha convertido en el más popular e influyente de América Latina” y “Hace cinco años, Nayib Bukele se comenzó a conocer como el presidente millennial y el presidente más cool, gracias a sus ideas que rompieron el esquema de lo tradicional”.

Cuando finalmente llegó, en su caravana presidencial, bajó de una camioneta negra vestido con una jubba, que según El Diario de Hoy, es una prenda exterior larga que se asemeja a un abrigo abierto, que tiene mangas largas y que se usaba antiguamente en los países musulmanes, especialmente por funcionarios públicos y profesionales. La prenda también recuerda al vestuario militar que se utilizaba en el siglo XVIII y que se le vio usar al francés Napoleón Bonaparte y al general salvadoreño Gerardo Barrios. 

Al bajarse del vehículo, el mandatario caminó, junto a su esposa Gabriela, por la alfombra roja hacia la entrada principal del palacio, mientras sonaba de fondo la orquesta que tocaba lo que parecía ser el soundtrack o canción del evento: “Wild colonial boy (joven colonial salvaje)”, una melodía tradicional de Irlanda.

En su caminata por la alfombra roja, los militares vestidos con un traje elegante que incluía una capa le hacían un pasillo. El vestuario de los militares también recuerda al dictador chileno Augusto Pinochet y a la vestimenta de algunos soldados imperiales de la saga cinematográfica de Star Wars. 

Aclamado por la multitud, como si fuera una estrella de rock, entró al palacio y fue ubicado en un pasillo arriba de todos los invitados, encima de la diplomacia, familia y amigos. La escena parecía marcar que Bukele estaba por encima de todos y que en segundo plano estaban los invitados especiales, su familia y directivos de su partido. En tercero, los militares que estaban por todos lados rindiéndole reverencia. En cuarto, los invitados que estaban sentados bajo el sol ardiente afuera del palacio. En quinto, los diputados que estaban encerrados en la sala principal del Teatro Nacional, como actores de relleno en este montaje con tintes de obra teatral llamada “sesión solemne para la investidura presidencial”. Y en último plano, los miles de ciudadanos que llegaron, hasta la parte trasera de la plaza Gerardo Barrios, para jurar lealtad a su líder, repitiendo: “Juramos defender incondicionalmente nuestro proyecto de nación, siguiendo al pie de la letra cada uno de los pasos, sin quejarnos, pidiendo la sabiduría de Dios para que nuestro país sea bendecido de nuevo con otro milagro. Y juramos nunca escuchar a los enemigos del pueblo”. 

Luego de su juramentación, salió al balcón, saludó a la multitud eufórica y luego presenció el desfile de dos mil efectivos militares que le rindieron honores por ser el comandante general de las Fuerzas Armadas. Abajo, frente al balcón, los militares desfilaban, arriba seis aviones pasaban sobre el palacio expulsado humo de color azul y blanco para dibujar en el cielo la bandera de El Salvador y al costado sur del palacio los artilleros explotaban unos cañones en una plaza llamada “Centroamérica”. El acto parecía una puesta en escena, en toda regla, de tipo cinematográfica con efectos especiales para congraciarse con el nuevo dictador salvadoreño, en un país que tiene una historia de crímenes de lesa humanidad cometidos por los militares que fueron instrumentalizados por los gobernantes de turno con fines político partidarios y para el clientelismo político.

La censura de siempre

Mientras el acto de investidura se desarrollaba, decenas de periodistas nacionales e internacionales documentaron el evento, pero en los términos que el Gobierno de Bukele dictó. No los dejó entrar al palacio y tampoco les permitió llegar por cuenta propia a la cobertura. Instruyó que para cubrir el evento, tenían que solicitar una acreditación y una vez aprobados tenían que llegar a la Universidad de El Salvador para ser registrados y enviados en autobuses hasta los andamios habilitados para fotógrafos y videógrafos.

Los periodistas de GatoEncerrado siguieron el proceso. Llegaron al portón 8 de la universidad antes de las 5:00 de la mañana y subieron a uno de los autobuses para periodistas que fueron escoltados por patrullas motorizadas del Viceministerio de Transporte hacia el Centro Histórico de San Salvador. 

En el centro, fueron bajados sobre la 3a Calle Oriente y la avenida Monseñor Romero, justo en la esquina donde está el antiguo edificio de la Lotería. Ahí fue necesario pasar por cinco cercos de seguridad hasta llegar a la plaza Gerardo Barrios, donde cientos de personas ya esperaban el inicio de la investidura.

Cuando el reloj marcó las 8:05 de la mañana, el presidente de la Asamblea Legislativa, Ernesto Castro, dio inicio a la sesión solemne en el Teatro Nacional, una joya arquitectónica que también fue intervenida para este evento. En la sala principal, las butacas fueron sustituidas por sillas y escritorios para los 57 diputados oficialistas y sus aliados, ya que los tres diputados de la oposición no asistieron. 

El único punto de agenda que Castro sometió a aprobación fue pedir la autorización para moverse a tomar la protesta de Bukele y Ulloa en el Palacio Nacional. De forma unánime, los 57 diputados presentes aprobaron la solicitud. 

La sesión solemne de la Asamblea tampoco pudo ser documentada por los periodistas. La entrada al Teatro Nacional también era un espacio restringido. Los únicos que tenían autorización de entrar a estos lugares eran los empleados de comunicaciones del Gobierno de Bukele.

Tras la votación, Castro se trasladó hasta la fachada del Palacio Nacional donde también caminó por la alfombra roja hasta el interior del edificio. 

Al final del evento, los periodistas fueron trasladados en los mismos autobuses de regreso a la Universidad de El Salvador.

Los fieles de Bukele

Atrás de los andamios en que estaban los periodistas, en la parte trasera de la plaza Gerardo Barrios estaban los fieles de Bukele, a quienes pareciera que no les importaban las altas temperaturas de ese sábado 1 de junio. Tampoco les importó caminar varias cuadras, incluso con niños en brazos, para acercarse al palacio, en los términos que también dictó el gobierno. 

El dispositivo de seguridad fijó puntos específicos de acceso, lo que generó largas filas y la desesperación de algunos que ya no querían esperar para acercarse al palacio: “Avancemos, yo veo que todos se salieron de la fila”, comentó una señora con sombrilla al resto de personas que le acompañaban en una de las filas.

El ingreso hacia la Plaza Gerardo Barrios, según corroboró esta revista, era lento y complicado. Muchas personas optaron por quedarse en la Plaza Libertad y escuchar desde ahí el evento. Los que decidieron continuar en las filas y acercarse debían pasar por unos detectores de metal, pero esto también retrasaba el ingreso a la plaza. 

—Está difícil llegar hasta allá, ¿nos metemos? —le dijo un hombre a otro, entre la multitud.

—Démosle pues, si a ver hemos venido —contestó el otro y luego se lanzaron a abrirse espacio para llegar lo más cerca posible hasta el corta que impedía el paso a la fachada del palacio.

Eran tantas las personas que querían acercarse, que algunas se dieron por vencidas y se conformaron con ver el evento desde las pantallas que fueron colocadas en las afueras de la plaza. 

Algunos de los que triunfaron y lograron avanzar hasta los separadores a mitad de la Plaza Gerardo Barrios, mostraron desilusión al enterarse que el acto de la investidura era en el interior del palacio a puerta cerrada. 

“Para verlo por pantalla mejor me quedo en mi casa”, dijo una señora, mientras que otros asistentes parecían tener el compromiso de estar en el lugar porque así se los habían pedido. 

 —Al menos ya cumplimos —dijo un alumno vestido con el uniforme de su escuela. —Sí, cabal —respondió el profesor, sentado en la acera y tapándose el rostro del sol.

—Al menos para la foto —remató el estudiante.

Un factor común entre todos los asistentes fue la búsqueda de sombra para resguardarse del sol y hacer frente al sofocante calor. Los abanicos, repartidos por colaboradores del gobierno, fueron un objeto muy apreciado, a tal punto que algunas personas recogían los que se encontraban tirados en la calle.

Tampoco faltaron las vuvuzelas, esa especie de trompeta que los asistentes hicieron sonar a la llegada de Bukele y durante distintos momentos de su discurso, aunque no con la misma efusividad que al principio. También, algunos de los asistentes mostraron su asombro cuando pasaban los aviones de la Fuerza Aérea dibujando la bandera de El Salvador: “Sí están chulos esos aviones”, le comentó una mujer a su esposo, mientras que alguien más gritaba: “¡Yeah, mi presidente!”

Muchas personas se retiraron cuando apenas comenzaba el discurso de Bukele, probablemente por cumplir una hora ya establecida de partida con aquellos buses que debían retornar hasta departamentos más lejanos de la capital. Otros que se quedaron a escucharle tampoco es que prestaran especial atención, pues se encontraban más concentrados en el celular o platicando con otros acompañantes.

Los dos únicos momentos cuando la muchedumbre prestó atención fue cuando Bukele les pidió jurar que lo iban a seguir sin quejarse y que iban a defender cada decisión. Asimismo, guardaron silencio cuando el arzobispo de San Salvador, José Luis Escobar Alas, y el pastor argentino Dante Gebel, cómplices religiosos de la dictadura, elevaron una plegaria para que Dios bendiga a Bukele.

Para cuando el evento concluyó, las personas que estuvieron más de tres horas de pie empezaron a caminar de nuevo las cuadras que fueron cerradas por el dispositivo de seguridad.

Gato Encerrado: