Select Page

Neftaly Rivera Navarro, the U.S.-Salvadoran citizen who disappeared on March 13 and was found dead on the 16th of the same month, was buried on Wednesday in a cemetery in San Salvador, more than a month after his body was found in a rural area of Cinquera municipality, Cabañas department.

Although Rivera Navarro’s relatives participated in the search, were present when the fiscal, police, and Forensic Medicine Institute (IML) authorities conducted the legal recognition at the scene, and the latter institution summoned the victim’s relatives on March 18 to collaborate in conducting genetic tests, the body was buried wrapped in a plastic bag in a common grave at the San Vicente municipal cemetery.

Family members and friends of the U.S. citizen, who asked not to be identified, told El Diario de Hoy that last week they were informed by the San Vicente Prosecutor’s Office that the following Wednesday, at 9:00 a.m., they would be given the body on condition that they had to bury it immediately, meaning they could not hold a wake for him.

However, when they arrived, they found the unpleasant surprise that Neftaly had been buried in a common grave at the San Vicente municipal cemetery without the family’s authorization, who were always inquiring when they would deliver the remains, even though they had been warned, without explanation, that the body would be cremated and the ashes would be delivered in three months (from the date they found it).

Neither had they asked for authorization from any of Neftaly’s relatives, who had been living in the United States for over 40 years with his children and wife. His mother and several siblings lived in El Salvador.

On Wednesday, when several family members arrived at San Vicente’s Forensic Medicine, they had to wait a long time until they were finally told they would have to exhume the remains, as they had been buried in a common grave for almost a month.

“Only one person was called (inside San Vicente’s Forensic Medicine) but who knows what they told him because it seemed to me that he came out with a fearful expression. At least I don’t know what they told him. Of course, the police always maintained a threatening attitude that we should not ask about the case because it was confidential” — Relative of Neftaly Rivera Navarro

Although there were complaints from some family members about why they had made such a decision without at least notifying and explaining why they would bury him, the Rivera Navarro family and their friends had no choice but to go to the San Vicente cemetery and dig to find Neftaly’s body.

Once at the cemetery, they were ordered not to take photos or videos because the case was confidential; however, they did not explain why they had buried him so soon; when San Vicente’s Forensic Medicine had told them he would be cremated and that the ashes would be delivered three months later. Neither had they explained why they would do that.

“Only one person was called but who knows what they told him because it seemed to me that he came out with a fearful expression. At least I don’t know what they told him. Of course, the police always maintained a threatening attitude that we should not ask about the case because it was confidential,” a relative explained.

Yesterday, El Diario de Hoy tried to get the version of the director of the IML office in San Vicente; however, when calling, they said he was not in the office; the secretary was left with the detailed intention of contacting him but did not return the calls to this newspaper.

“A strange case”

“Today (Wednesday) the family had an appointment at Forensic Medicine to pick up the ashes, as they were told, to bury him next to his father, but upon arrival, they were told that the body was already buried. In summary: he had 3 more bodies on top that had to be removed to reach uncle Neftaly’s body; they had to open the bag to identify him again. This is very strange; there are many questions and no answers. According to comments, uncle Neftaly had recently withdrawn from his bank account about $100,000 and no one knows what for…,” a relative told this newspaper.

Family members and friends say there are many doubts about the case. And they continue to arise with the behavior of the authorities, such as burying him in a common grave without notifying anyone, or stressing to the family that they should not talk about the case.

Neftaly disappeared in the afternoon of March 13. The last time he was seen alive was in the San José El Tule canton of Cinquera when he was walking with several soldiers and police officers towards the land where he had employees who were fencing the land they had in that area.

The day before, on March 12, he had gone to San Luis Talpa, where his mother and other relatives live, and had withdrawn $6,000 from a bank; he said it was to pay the people he had working on fencing the land where he had planned to cultivate and raise cattle, as he had said.

On March 13, they began searching for Neftaly. They even did so from helicopters. However, his body was found on the 16th, three days later; it appeared that he had committed suicide by hanging himself; however, the family rules out this possibility, as he was a person without any issues. They describe him as happy and cheerful.

Neftaly came to El Salvador in October 2023 with the illusion that, as El Salvador is now safe, he was going to invest money in making the land his father had left in San José El Tule productive. His plans also included investing in raising and fattening cattle on the same land, according to relatives.

He would return to the United States on April 5. He had told his family and the friends he had made in Cinquera, where he is remembered as a cheerful person and who didn’t hesitate to do a favor.

More than $100,000 withdrawn from his account

Some of Neftaly’s family members are also struck by the fact that he withdrew approximately $100,000 between October and March and do not believe he invested all of it in fencing the land.

On the last withdrawal he made on March 12, a relative asked him (in so many words) if he was not spending too much money, to which he replied that when you can do someone a favor, you should do it. He did not elaborate further.

Last Wednesday, during the funeral, some people who traveled from Cinquera to a cemetery in Cuscatancingo reiterated that the last time they saw Neftaly in the El Tule canton, it was around 2:00 p.m. and he was accompanied by four soldiers and three police officers. Nothing was heard of him afterward.

That day, Neftaly carried the $6,000 with which he would supposedly pay the salary of the people working on the land. He also carried an iPhone 15. None of this was found at the scene where the body was found.

Although the Prosecutor’s Office and Forensic Medicine have recorded in documents that it was a suicide by hanging, relatives and friends of Neftaly consider that, apart from not finding the money and the iPhone, it is not possible that he could have reached the place where the body was because he had a mobility disability that occasionally forced him to use crutches.

According to family sources, Neftaly was a war veteran; he participated in the armed conflict that El Salvador suffered between 1980 and 1992. He belonged to the Atlacatl Battalion, but during an operation, he stepped on a mine that left him disabled for life.

After recovering from that accident, Neftaly decided to go to the United States. In fact, he had lived in that country for over 40 years, which had granted him naturalization.

As in the case of the Salvadoran-American tourist who disappeared in a rural area of San Vicente while hiking in a wooded area, neither the police nor the prosecutor’s office have reported anything about the case, despite the family expressing their suspicions that Neftaly’s death is a homicide and not a suicide.

EDH: https://www.elsalvador.com/noticias/nacional/inversionista-estadounidense-enterrado-fosa-comun-san-vicente/1137105/2024/

Inversionista estadounidense-salvadoreño fue enterrado en fosa común a pesar de estar identificado

Neftaly Rivera Navarro, el ciudadano estadounidense-salvadoreño que desapareció el pasado 13 de marzo y hallado muerto el 16 de ese mismo mes, fue sepultado el miércoles en un cementerio de San Salvador a más de un mes de que su cadáver fuera encontrado en una zona rural del municipio de Cinquera, departamento de Cabañas. 

A pesar de que familiares de Rivera Navarro participaron en la búsqueda, estuvieron presentes cuando las autoridades fiscales, policiales y del Instituto de Medicina Legal (IML) hicieron el reconocimiento de ley en la escena, y que esta última institución citó a parientes de la víctima el 18 de marzo para que colaboraran en la realización de pruebas genéticas, el cadáver fue enterrado envuelto en una bolsa plástica en una fosa común del cementerio municipal de San Vicente.

Familiares y amigos  del ciudadano estadounidense, que pidieron no ser identificados, aseguraron a El Diario de Hoy que la semana pasada fueron avisados por la Fiscalía de San Vicente que el miércoles siguiente, a las 9:00 a.m., les darían el cadáver con la condición de que debían enterrarlo de inmediato, es decir, no podían hacerle velación. 

Sin embargo, cuando llegaron, se encontraron con la desagradable sorpresa de que Neftaly había sido enterrado en una fosa común en el cementerio municipal de San Vicente, sin la autorización de la familia quienes siempre estuvieron pendientes preguntando cuándo les entregarían los restos, a pesar de que les habían advertido, sin  explicar razones, que el cuerpo sería cremado y que en tres meses (a partir de la fecha que lo encontraron) les entregarían las cenizas.

Tampoco para esto le habían pedido autorización a ningún familiar de Neftaly quien residía desde hace más de 40 años en Estados Unidos con sus hijos y esposa. Mientras que en El Salvador vivían su madre y varios hermanos.

El miércoles cuando llegaron varios familiares a Medicina Legal de San Vicente tuvieron que esperar mucho tiempo, hasta que por fin les dijeron que tendrían que exhumar los restos, pues hacía casi un mes que estaban enterrados en una fosa común.

“Sólo a una persona llamaron (al interior de Medicina Legal de San Vicente) pero a saber qué le dijeron porque me pareció que salió con un semblante de temor. Al menos yo no sé qué le dijeron. Eso sí, los policías siempre se mantuvieron con actitud amenazante de que no preguntáramos del caso porque era reservado” — Familiar de Neftaly rivera Navarro

Aunque hubo reclamos de parte de algunos familiares sobre el por qué habían tomado tal decisión sin al menos avisar y explicar por qué lo enterrarían, la familia Rivera Navarro y los amigos que los acompañaban no tuvieron más remedio que dirigirse al cementerio de San Vicente y excavar para encontrar el cuerpo de Neftaly.

Ya en el cementerio, les ordenaron que no podían tomar fotos ni vídeos porque todo el caso estaba en reserva; no obstante, no explicaron por qué lo habían enterrado tan pronto; cuando en Medicina Legal de San Vicente les habían dicho que sería cremado y que tres meses después les entregarían las cenizas. Tampoco les habían explicado por qué harían eso.

“Solo a una persona llamaron pero a saber qué le dijeron porque me pareció que salió con un semblante de temor. Al menos yo no sé qué le dijeron. Eso sí, los policías siempre se mantuvieron con actitud amenazante de que no preguntáramos del caso porque era reservado”, detalló un familiar.

Ayer, El Diario de Hoy intentó obtener la versión del director de la oficina del IML en San Vicente; sin embargo, al llamar, dijeron que no se encontraba en la oficina; con la secretaria se le dejó detallado la intención de contactarlo pero no correspondió las llamadas a este periódico.

“Un caso raro”

“Hoy (miércoles)la familia tenía cita en Medicina Legal para recoger las cenizas, como les dijeron, para enterrarlo junto con su padre,  pero  al llegar les dijeron que el cuerpo  ya  estaba enterrado. Resumiendo: tenía 3 cuerpos más encima que los tuvieron que sacar para llegar al cuerpo de tío Neftaly; tuvieron que abrir la bolsa para identificarlo de nuevo. Esto es muy extraño; hay muchas preguntas y ninguna respuesta. Según comentan, últimamente, el tío Neftaly había sacado de su cuenta bancaria cerca de $100,000 y no sabe para qué…”, comentó un pariente a este Diario.

Familiares y amigos aseguran que del caso hay muchas dudas. Y siguen surgiendo con el comportamiento de las autoridades, como por ejemplo, enterrarlo en fosa común sin notificar a nadie, o recalcar a la familia que no deben hablar del caso.

Neftaly desapareció a media tarde del 13 de marzo. La última vez que lo vieron con vida fue en el cantón San José El Tule, de Cinquera, cuando caminaba junto a varios militares y policías en dirección a los terrenos donde tenía empleados que estaban cercando los terrenos que tenían en ese sector.

Un día antes, el 12 de marzo, había ido a San Luis Talpa, donde vive la madre y otros parientes, y había retirado $6,000 de un banco; dijo que eran para pagar a las personas que tenía trabajando en cercar los terrenos donde tenía proyectado cultivar y criar ganado, según había comentado.

El 13 de marzo comenzaron a buscar a Neftaly. Incluso lo hicieron desde helicópteros. Sin embargo, su cadáver fue encontrado el 16, tres días después; aparentemente se había suicidado ahorcándose; sin embargo, la familia descarta esa posibilidad, ya que era una persona sin problemas de ninguna clase.Lo describen alegre y feliz.

Neftaly vino a El Salvador en octubre de 2023 con la ilusión de que, como El Salvador ya es seguro, iba a invertir dinero en hacer productivos los terrenos que había dejado su padre, en el cantón San José El Tule. También entre sus planes estaba invertir  en la crianza y engordar ganado en los mismos terrenos, aseguran familiares.

Se regresaría a Estados Unidos el 5 de abril. Eso había dicho a su familia y las amistades que había hecho en Cinquera, donde lo recuerdan como una persona alegre y que no se lo pensaba para hacer un favor.

Más de $100,000 sacó de su cuenta

A algunos miembros de la familia de Neftaly también les llama la atención que de octubre a marzo, retiró aproximadamente 100 mil dólares y no creen que todo eso lo haya invertido en cercar los terrenos.

En el último retiro que hizo el 12 de marzo, un familiar le preguntó (palabras más palabras menos), si no estaba gastando mucho dinero, a lo que él respondió que cuando se podía hacer un favor a alguien, había que hacerlo. No detalló más.

El miércoles anterior, durante el sepelio, algunas personas que viajaron desde Cinquera a un cementerio de Cuscatancingo, reiteraron que la última vez que vieron a Neftaly en el cantón El Tule, fue como a las 2:00 p.m. y lo acompañaban cuatro militares y tres policías.  Después no se supo más.

Ese día, Neftaly llevaba los $6,000 con los que supuestamente cancelaría el sueldo de las personas que tenía trabajando en los terrenos. También portaba un teléfono iPhone 15. Nada de eso fue encontrado en la escena donde hallaron el cadáver.

No obstante que la Fiscalía y Medicina Legal han plasmado en documentos que se trató de un suicidio por ahorcamiento, familiares y amigos de Neftaly consideran que, aparte de que no le encontraron el dinero y el iPhone, no es posible que haya podido llegar al lugar donde estaba el cadáver porque tenía discapacidad de movilidad que lo obligaba a usar muletas ocasionalmente.

De acuerdo con fuentes familiares, Neftaly era un veterano de guerra; participó en el conflicto armado que sufrió El Salvador entre 1980 y 1992. Perteneció al Batallón Atlacatl, pero durante un operativo, pisó una mina que lo dejó lisiado de por vida.

Tras recuperarse de ese accidente, Neftaly decidió marcharse a Estados Unidos. De hecho, tenía más de 40 años de vivir en aquel país que le había otorgado la nacionalización.

Como en el caso del turista salvadoreño-estadounidense desaparecido en una zona rural de San Vicente mientras hacía una caminata en una zona boscosa, en este,  ni la policía ni la fiscalía han informado nada del caso a pesar de que la familia ha externado sus sospechas de que la muerte Neftaly sea un homicidio y no un suicidio.

EDH: https://www.elsalvador.com/noticias/nacional/inversionista-estadounidense-enterrado-fosa-comun-san-vicente/1137105/2024/