Select Page

On the night of April 24, 2022, there were at least 18 arrests in Bajo Lempa, Usulután. These were peasants, merchants, mothers and fathers, children and grandchildren, whom the Police found sleeping or about to fall asleep, but the police version asserts that they were gathered and had links to gangs.

Following the arrests, the accused lost crops, chickens, businesses, jobs, and many days of family coexistence.

The police version was sufficient for all the detainees, suspected of being gang members and collaborators, to be sent to prison by order of a specialized court in the eastern zone, after a massive hearing.

The evidence suggests that these agents could be involved in procedural fraud.

At least, three of the affected ones have been luckier, although sick, they have been released under alternate measures to prison, while others have been imprisoned for almost two years, without their relatives knowing for sure how they are, and the only hope that they are alive is related to the package they receive each month.

Although the relatives place the events on the night of the 24th, the police account details that in the early minutes of Monday, April 25, while patrolling, they were alerted by the population that a group of gang collaborators was on the main street of Ciudad Romero, and when they arrived, they gave verbal commands, which made them nervous but did not resist.

The petitions for protection and complaints of alleged arbitrary arrests submitted by the families to the corresponding authorities call into question that version. For this report, the head of the El Zamoran police post was approached, but they said he was in a meeting.

Upon investigating the arrests, the witnesses create a timeline of how they were captured one by one, taken from their homes.

April 24, 2022, 9:00 p.m.: Two elderly people abandoned

The kicks of the police officers trying to knock down the door of the house woke Samuel Ulises P. and his grandparents, two elderly people aged 73 and 63, whom he calls mom and dad because he has lived with them since he was young.

When the young man opened the door, he was already held at gunpoint by several police officers, who quickly handcuffed him, took him out and threw him in the bed of a patrol.

“They took him barefoot, naked, just in underwear,” recalls his 73-year-old mother Alejandra. His father also got up from the hammock he was sleeping in, but could do nothing for his son, only watching him bleed from his nose while lying in the police vehicle.

The elderly people asked the police officers the reason for arresting the young man. “Because of the regime,” was the answer. “But he’s not a criminal,” Alejandra dared to tell them.

The elderly woman walked several meters along the dark and dusty street to the police post, hoping that they would allow her to deliver clothes to her son so that he could dress.

“Here there is no permission for clothes or anything, ma’am,” one of the agents scolded her.

It was not until the following morning, at the Usulután police cells, that she was able to bring him food, a shirt, and shorts and the white “sapos” (flip-flops) required by the authorities.

For the next three days, she left the impoverished Bajo Lempa area at 6 in the morning and returned at 6 in the evening to bring the detainee his three meals.

Mariona prison was Samuel’s next destination. The elderly woman spent three days and three nights under the sun and rain outside the prison, hoping that her innocent son would be released.

On one of those nights, a riot police battalion arrived to disperse the gathered family members of the captured people with tear gas outside the prison.

“The riot police arrived, throwing gas, and we had to flee as best we could. Those days were hard for me,” says Alejandra, while hugging a Bible that she was reading before the conversation.

Samuel was the one who financially supported both elderly people, with the little he earned working as a day laborer, planting corn, sorghum, and grass for cattle.

Over the following months, the elderly people started selling the milk of a cow, then sold the calf, and then, one by one, 40 chickens that they had, to be able to buy the package and pay for transportation to travel to Mariona prison. Only seven chickens survived.

Samuel was in prison for eight months and was released on December 23, 2023.

He claims that he was released due to the legal aid of the organization Cristosal. A polygraph test was conducted on him 15 days prior.

“I knelt down in the street, there in San Marcos (Lempa) after receiving the call, and I said Thank you, Lord. People looked at me as if to say ‘this lady is crazy'”, says Alejandra.

Alejandra, who can neither read nor write, doubted for a moment and thought it was a joke, but the representative of the Committee of Relatives dialed the phone to confirm the information.

The lady did not have money to pay for transportation to bring her directly, but with the help of community organizations, she arrived near the prison past 10 pm.

When remembering the moment, the elderly woman makes an effort not to cry. “I didn’t recognize him because his whole body was swollen; his clothes didn’t fit him; I had to bring him wrapped in a blanket,” she says.

Once out, the young man, still ill, had to start working to obtain the $15 every two weeks that he spends to travel from Bajo Lempa to a court in San Miguel, where he is required to sign as an alternative measure to his freedom.

April 24, at 9:00 p.m.: They asked his name, and they took him

Irsan’s father was resting in a hammock in the hallway when he saw several police officers and soldiers enter the yard in El Zamoran. The man got up to see what they wanted.

“Is the young man here?” the agents asked him. His son was inside the half brick, half sheet metal house, watching television, but when he heard the voices, he came to the door.

“What’s your name?” one of the policemen asked him. “My name is Irsan,” he told them. To that, the agent told him to come out, handcuffed him, and gave no explanations.

Irsan A. M. is 37 years old, has dual nationality because he was born in Panama, but his parents are Salvadorans who emigrated as refugees due to the armed conflict.

After the capture, his father walked to the police post, about a kilometer away from their home, to ask for an explanation.

“Some people came and accused him of just smoking marijuana and causing trouble in the community,” the policeman told me.

His parents deny this, as for the past two years, he had been living in Bajo Lempa and earned a living working as a day laborer every day to financially support his 14-year-old son.

On weekends, he liked to play soccer, like most of the locals, given the lack of any other leisure activities.

A year after the capture and not getting any response from local institutions or a habeas corpus filed with the Supreme Court, the family decided to contact the Panamanian embassy for help.

After that, the detainee was sent to Jucuapa prison, where they were housing the foreign prison population. This relieves them of transportation costs.

Irsan’s father had a small store, but little by little it was finished for the expenses generated in the process against his son and to deliver the monthly package.

“I spent everything on that and running around, and since I don’t have a steady job,” explains the man who survives on a meager veteran’s pension.

“In the Attorney’s Office, they told me that they had extended the regime and that they would be released in 2025. I hope that the Embassy will do something because I have no hope of anything from the institutions here,” says the father with resignation as he rests in the same hammock when the police came to get his son.

April 24, 2022, at 9:30 p.m.: Three children without a mother

Silvia Aracely H. was studying high school remotely and working as a cook in a dining room in San Marcos Lempa. Every 15 days, she traveled to El Zamoran to bring food to her 79- and 66-year-old parents and her three children aged 15, 11, and nine.

That Sunday, after dinner, Silvia, her parents, and her children went to bed early, but the noise made by the police when they captured Heriberto M. G, Silvia’s nephew who lived in the house next door, woke them up, according to a habeas corpus filed with the Supreme Court by her mother Esperanza.

Silvia and her mother quickly got up to see what was happening. Silvia asked the police why they were taking her hard-working nephew. “Come on, you too,” the agent told her, handcuffed her, and took her to the patrol, in front of the fearful gaze of the other adults and the crying children.

A pastor and a group of evangelicals who had come to a neighboring house to pray for a sick person watched as Silvia and her nephew Heriberto were put into one of the police patrols. Neither of them was read an arrest warrant.

“Why are you taking my daughter?” the mother of Silvia dared to ask them. “No, ma’am, go talk to the government. The government sends us to take your daughter,” one of the agents replied.

The detainee spent three days in the Usulután police cells. Then she was transferred to Ilopango prison, but her family was not informed where she had been taken.

In distress, her mother left the day after to borrow money so that she could travel to San Salvador to ask about her daughter’s whereabouts at the women’s prison in Ilopango.

By noon she had obtained enough money to travel, and despite knowing that it was late, she didn’t mind and went to the capital.

When she arrived at the Ilopango prison, she found a list of names, but she could not read. After a while, a custodian took pity on her and confirmed that her daughter was already in that prison.

The woman bought what she could afford and handed over the package, but due to the time, she could not return home. That night, she sat outside the prison until 5 in the morning the next day when she set off for the Bajo Lempa region.

Silvia was sent from Ilopango to Apanteos prison during the massive transfer in September 2022. “I don’t know if my daughter is alive, if my daughter is dead, but every month I go to deliver the package,” her mother laments.

April 24, at 9:30 p.m.: The birthday party that ended in sadness

It had been a happy day for Edwin. His younger daughter turned two, and they celebrated by sharing cake and a piñata with other children, and they went to bed later than usual because she had been opening gifts.

The family of two adults and two children usually went to bed at 8 p.m., as Edwin got up at 1 a.m. to go to Usulután to buy the fruit and vegetables he would sell while traveling in a pickup truck to all the communities in Bajo Lempa.

At 9:30 p.m., a group of police officers in two patrol vehicles arrived at their home in the canton Salinas de Sisiguayo, while he was coming out of the bathroom only wearing a towel.

When Edwin opened the door, the officers immediately handcuffed him in front of his partner and their two children, aged four and two. The woman barely had time to throw him a pair of shorts so he wouldn’t leave naked.

The police did not present any arrest warrant, nor did they explain to his family why they were taking him, according to the habeas corpus petition filed with the Supreme Court for Edwin P., 45 years old.

The trader had previous non-gang-related criminal records for which he had been prosecuted more than ten years ago. But this time he was accused of illicit associations.

His family considered his arrest arbitrary, so with the support of the Bajo Lempa Family Committee, they have fought for his freedom.

On May 9, 2023, on the eve of Mother’s Day, his mother and about 48 other relatives of the arrested people, who were members of the Committee, presented their cases to the Attorney Raquel Caballero.

Edwin spent one year and two months in prison until the same Prosecutor’s Office requested his release under alternate measures to prison. Upon his release, he weighed about 100 pounds less.

April 24, at 10:50 p.m.: Her daughter stopped calling her “mom”

María was already lying in bed with her husband and her 5-year-old daughter when several agents, wearing Navarone caps, arrived at their home.

When the agents entered the house, they asked her to change clothes, according to an arbitrary arrest complaint filed by the family with the Human Rights Prosecutor’s Office.

María H.’s husband asked the officers what was going on, and one of them said that they had received an anonymous call, which meant they had to apply Decree 333 established by the government. However, he didn’t show her any arrest or search warrant.

“You’re coming with us,” one of the agents told Maria when she came out of changing her sleepwear. “Why would I go with you?” she challenged them.

At that moment, another policeman became upset and told her there was no time for explanations. Her husband advised María to remain calm, hugged her, and did not hear from her again for 14 months.

At midnight, María and others were taken to the Usulután police cells.

And the next day she was already in the women’s prison, located in Ilopango at that time. Although her family took her clothes and sanitary towels to the police cells because her menstrual period was approaching, she never received them.

María was accused of illicit associations, like the other people arrested in the same operation. In July 2022, María was sent to Apanteos prison during a massive transfer, as that prison facility became solely for women.

The 27-year-old woman, before being arrested, worked at the El Presidio Community Child Development Center, funded by government funds.

“It seemed unfair to us, and it hurts more to the point that nothing can be done. I’m not against fighting violence; in fact, I applaud that, but I am against arbitrary processes,” says María’s husband about her capture.

The family presented evidence to prove María’s innocence, including letters from community leaders in Bajo Lempa, pay stubs, income tax declarations, property deeds, sworn statements from five witnesses, and a photo album demonstrating her religious, community, and work activities.

On July 6, 2023, María’s family received the most awaited call. She was released under alternate measures to prison, at the request of the Prosecutor’s Office.

“I left at 7:30 p.m. for Santa Ana, arrived at 11:30 with all my family,” recalls her partner.

But the return has not been easy. For the first few days, her daughter had forgotten to call her “mom” and called her by her name instead, and she still cannot recover her job.

“How can they sleep peacefully, knowing the psychological damage they are causing? People who owe nothing are paying a high price,” laments María’s husband.


Las familias que el régimen de excepción destruyó en el Bajo Lempa

La noche del 24 de abril de 2022 hubo al menos 18 capturas en el Bajo Lempa, Usulután. Se trató de campesinos, comerciantes, madres y padres de familias, hijos y nietos, a quienes la Policía les encontró dormidos o a punto de conciliar el sueño, pero la versión  policial asegura que estaban reunidos y que tenían vínculos con pandillas. 

Tras las detenciones, los acusados perdieron cultivos, gallinas, negocios, empleos y muchos días de convivencia familiar.

La versión policial fue suficiente para que todos los detenidos, sospechosos de ser pandilleros y colaboradores de las pandillas, fueran enviados a prisión por orden d e un  juzgado especializado de la zona oriental, tras una audiencia masiva. 

Las evidencias apuntan a que estos agentes podrían estar involucrados en fraude procesal. 

Al menos, tres de los afectados han tenido mayor suerte, aunque enfermos, han salido bajo medidas alternas a la prisión, mientras otros ya llevan casi dos años encarcelados, sin que sus familiares sepan con certeza cómo se encuentran y la única esperanza de que estén con vida está relacionada con el paquete que les llevan cada mes. 

Aunque los familiares sitúan los hechos la noche del 24, el relato policial detalla que en los primeros minutos del lunes 25 de abril, mientras realizaban un patrullaje fueron alertados por la población de en la calle principal de ciudad Romero, se encontraba un grupo de colaboradores de las pandillas, que al llegar al lugar les hicieron los comandos verbales, que estos se pusieron nerviosos, pero no opusieron resistencia. 

Las peticiones de amparo y denuncias de presuntas detenciones arbitrarias presentadas por los familiares ante las autoridades correspondientes, pone en entredicho esa versión. Para esta nota, se buscó al jefe del puesto policial de El Zamoran, pero dijeron que estaba en  una reunión. 

Al indagar sobre las detenciones, los testigos crean una línea de tiempo de cómo los fueron capturando uno por uno, sacándolos de sus viviendas.

24 de abril de 2022, 9:00 de la noche: Dos ancianos en el abandono 

Las patadas de los agentes policiales intentando botar la puerta de la casa despertó a Samuel Ulises P. y a sus abuelos, dos ancianos de 73 y 63 años, a quienes él les dice mamá y papá porque vive con ellos desde pequeño. 

Cuando el joven abrió la puerta ya estaba encañonado por varios  policías, quienes rápidamente lo esposaron, lo sacaron y lo tiraron en la cama de una patrulla. 

“Se lo llevaron descalzo, desnudo, solo en calzoncillos”, recuerda su madre Alejandra, de 73 años. Su padre también se levantó de la hamaca en la que dormía, pero nada pudo hacer por su hijo, sino sólo ver cómo sangraba de la nariz tirado en el vehículo policial. 

Los ancianos preguntaron a los policías cuál era la razón para detener al joven. “Por el régimen”, fue la respuesta. “Pero si él no es delincuente”, se atrevió a decirles Alejandra. 

La anciana caminó varios metros por la calle oscura y polvorienta hasta el puesto policial con la esperanza que ahí le dejaran entregar ropa a su hijo para que se vistiera. 

“Aquí no hay permiso de ropa ni de nada señora”, le regaño uno de los agentes. 

Fue hasta la mañana siguiente, en las bartolinas de Usulután, donde pudo llevarle comida, una camisa y una calzoneta y los “sapos” blancos (chancletas), que exigen las autoridades. 

Los siguientes tres días, salió a las 6 de la mañana de la empobrecida zona del Bajo Lempa y regresó a las 6 de la tarde, para llevarle los tres tiempos de comida al detenido. 

El penal de Mariona fue el siguiente destino de Samuel. La anciana pasó tres días y tres noches bajo el sol y la lluvia afuera del penal, con la esperanza que, al no deber nada, su hijo fuera liberado. 

En una de esas noches un pelotón de antimotines llegó a dispersar con gases lacrimógenos a los familiares de los capturados que se habían aglomerado afuera de la prisión.

“Llegaron los antimotines tirando gas y nosotros tuvimos que salir huyendo a como diera lugar. Esos días fueron duros para mí”, relata 

Alejandra, mientras abraza una Biblia, que estaba leyendo previo a la conversación. 

Samuel era el que apoyaba económicamente a ambos ancianos, con lo poco que ganaba trabajando como jornalero, sembrando maíz, maicillo y zacate para el ganado. 

Los siguientes meses, los ancianos comenzaron vendiendo la leche de una vaca, luego vendieron el ternero y luego, de una en una, 40 gallinas que tenían, para poder comprar el paquete y pagar transporte para viajar hasta el penal de Mariona. Solo siete gallinas sobrevivieron. 

Samuel estuvo en prisión durante ocho meses, y fue liberado el 23 de diciembre de 2023. 

Asegura que salió debido al apoyo jurídico de la organización Cristosal. 15 días antes le realizaron la prueba del polígrafo. 

«Yo me hinqué en la calle, allá en San Marcos (Lempa) después de recibir la llamada, le dije Gracias Señor, la gente se me quedaba viendo como diciendo “esta señora está loca”». 

Alejandra que no sabe leer, ni escribir, por un momento dudó y pensó que se trataba de una broma, pero el representante del Comité de Familiares, marcó devolviendo la llamada para confirmar la información. 

La señora no tenía dinero para pagar un transporte que la trajera directo, pero con la ayuda de las organizaciones comunitarias, llegó cerca pasadas las 10 de la noche al Penalito, en San Salvador. 

Al recordar el momento, la anciana hace un esfuerzo para no llorar. “No lo conocía porque venía inflamado de todo el cuerpo, la ropa no le quedó, me lo tuve que traer envuelto en una cobija”, relata. 

Al salir, el joven aún enfermo tuvo que empezar a trabajar para conseguir los 15 dólares quincenales que gasta, para trasladarse desde el Bajo Lempa hasta un juzgado en San Miguel, donde está obligado a firmar, como medida alterna a su libertad. 

24 de abril a las 9:00 de la noche: Le preguntaron su nombre y se lo llevaron 

El padre de Irsan estaba descansando en una hamaca en el corredor cuando vio ingresar al solar, en El Zamoran, a varios policías y soldados. El señor se levantó para ver que  querían. 

“Está el muchacho”, le preguntaron los agentes. Su hijo estaba adentro de la casa mitad de ladrillo, mitad de lámina, viendo televisión, pero al escuchar las voces se asomó a la puerta. 

“¿Cómo te llamás?”, le preguntó uno de los policías. “Yo me llamo Irsan”, les dijo él. Ante eso el agente le dijo que saliera y lo esposó, sin leerle una orden de captura ni darle  explicaciones. 

Irsan A. M. tiene 37 años de edad, tiene doble nacionalidad porque nació en Panamá, pero sus padres son salvadoreños, quienes emigraron como refugiados debido al conflicto armado. 

Tras la captura, su padre se fue caminando hacia el puesto policial, que está a un kilómetro aproximadamente desde su casa, para pedir una explicación. 

“Vinieron unas personas y le pusieron el dedo que solo pasa fumando marihuana y haciendo problemas en la comunidad”, me dijo el policía. 

Sus padres niegan que sea así, pues desde hace dos años vivía en el Bajo Lempa donde se ganaba la vida realizando trabajos de jornalero todos los días para ayudarle económicamente a su hijo, un adolescente de 14 años. 

Los fines de semana le gustaba jugar fútbol, como lo hace la mayoría de los lugareños, ante la carencia de otro tipo de actividad de ocio. 

Un año después de la captura y al no tener respuesta de las instituciones locales ni de un habeas corpus presentado ante la Corte Suprema, la familia decidió contactarse con la embajada de Panamá para solicitar ayuda. 

Luego de eso, el capturado fue enviado al penal de Jucuapa, donde estarían albergando a la población carcelaria extranjera. Eso les alivia en el gasto de transporte. 

El padre de Irsan tenía una tienda pequeña, pero poco a poco se la fue terminando para los gastos generados en el proceso contra su hijo y para llevarle el paquete mensualmente. 

“Se me fue todo en eso de andar dando vueltas y como no tengo trabajo fijo”, explica el señor que sobrevive de una pírrica pensión de excombatiente. 

“En la Procuraduría me dijeron que habían hecho una prórroga del régimen y que iban a salir en el 2025. Tengo la esperanza que la Embajada haga algo, porque de las instituciones de aquí no tengo esperanza de nada”, dice el padre con resignación mientras descansa en la misma hamaca, cuando los policías llegaron a traer a su hijo.

24 de abril de 2022 a las 9:30 de la noche: Tres menores sin madre 

Silvia Aracely H. estudiaba bachillerato a distancia y laboraba cocinando en un comedor de San Marcos Lempa. Cada 15 días se desplazaba a El Zamoran para llevar comida a  sus padres, ancianos de 79 y 66 años, y a sus tres hijos de 15, 11 y nueve años. 

Ese domingo, después de cenar, Silvia, sus padres y sus hijos se acostaron temprano, pero les despertó el bullicio que hicieron los policías cuando capturaron a Heriberto M. G, sobrino de Silvia, quien vivía en la casa de al lado, consta en un habeas corpus presentado ante la Corte Suprema por su madre Esperanza. 

Silvia y su madre se levantaron rápidamente a ver qué pasaba. Silvia preguntó a los policías por qué se llevaban a su sobrino alegando que es un joven trabajador. “Venite vos también”, le dijo el agente, la esposó y la subió a la patrulla, ante la mirada y el temor de los demás adultos y los niños que se quedaron llorando. 

Un pastor y un grupo de evangélicos que habían llegado a una casa vecina a orar por una persona enferma observaron cuando Silvia y su sobrino Heriberto eran subidos a  una de las patrullas policiales. A ninguno de ellos, les leyeron una orden de detención. 

¿Por qué se llevan a mi hija?, se atrevió a reclamarles la madre de Silvia. “A no señora, vaya a hablar con el gobierno, que el gobierno que nos manda a nosotros a llevar a su hija”,  le contestó uno de los agentes.

La detenida pasó tres días en las bartolinas de Usulután. Luego fue trasladada al penal de Ilopango, pero su familia no fue informada hacia donde la habían llevado. 

Ante la angustia, su madre salió un día después a prestar dinero para poder viajar hasta San Salvador para preguntar por el paradero de su hija en el penal de mujeres de Ilopango. 

Al mediodía había conseguido lo suficiente para viajar y aunque sabía que era muy tarde, no le importó y se fue hasta la capital. 

Al llegar al penal de Ilopango se encontró con un listado de nombres, pero ella no puede leer. Después de un rato un custodio se compadeció de ella y le confirmó que su hija ya estaba en ese penal. 

La señora compró lo que le alcanzó y entregó el paquete, pero por la hora ya no pudo regresar a su casa. Esa noche, se quedó sentada fuera del penal, hasta las cinco de la  mañana del día siguiente, hora que emprendió el viaje de regresó hasta la zona del Bajo Lempa. 

Silvia fue enviada de Ilopango hacia el penal de Apanteos, durante el traslado masivo en septiembre de 2022. “No sé si mi hija está viva, si mi hija está muerta, yo desconozco  aunque todos los meses voy a dejarle paquete”, se lamenta su madre. 

24 de abril a las 9:30 de la noche: El cumpleaños que finalizó en tristeza 

Había sido un día de felicidad para Edwin. Su hija menor cumplió dos años y lo habían celebrado compartiendo pastel y una piñata con otros niños y niñas; y se acostarían más tarde de lo acostumbrado, porque había estado abriendo los regalos. 

La familia integrada por dos adultos y dos menores usualmente se acostaba a las ocho de la noche, porque Edwin se levantaba a la 1:00 de la mañana para ir a Usulután a comprar la fruta y la verdura que vendía recorriendo en un pick up todas las comunidades del Bajo Lempa. 

A las 9:30 de la noche, un grupo de policías a bordo de dos patrullas llegó a la vivienda en el cantón Salinas de Sisiguayo, mientras él salía del baño sólo ataviado con una toalla. 

Cuando Edwin abrió la puerta los agentes lo esposaron inmediatamente, frente a su compañera de vida y sus dos hijos, de cuatro y dos años. La señora apenas alcanzó a tirarle un short para que no se fuera desnudo.

Los policías no presentaron ninguna orden de captura, ni tampoco le explicaron a su familia por qué se lo llevaban, según consta en la petición de habeas corpus presentada ante la Corte Suprema por la familia de Edwin P., de 45 años. 

El comerciante tenía antecedentes penales no relacionados a pandillas, por los cuales había sido procesado hace más de diez años. Pero esta vez fue acusado de agrupaciones ilícitas. 

Su familia consideraba que su captura era arbitraria por lo que, con el apoyo del Comité de familiares del Bajo Lempa, ha luchado por su libertad. 

El 9 de mayo de 2023, en vísperas del día de la Madre, su mamá junto a unos 48 familiares de capturados más, integrantes del Comité, expusieron sus casos a la procuradora Raquel Caballero. 

Edwin pasó preso un año dos meses, hasta que la misma Fiscalía solicitó su libertad bajo medidas alternas a la prisión. Al salir pesaba unas 100 libras menos. 

24 de abril a las 10: 50 de la noche: Su hija dejó de llamarla “mamá” 

María ya se encontraba acostada junto a su esposo y su hija de cinco años, cuando varios agentes, cubiertos con gorros navarone, llegaron a su vivienda. 

Cuando los agentes ingresaron a la casa, luego de identificarla le pidieron que se cambiara de ropa, consta en una denuncia de captura arbitraria presentada por la familia ante la Procuraduría de Derechos Humanos. 

El esposo de María H. cuestionó a los policías sobre qué pasaba y uno de ellos dijo que habían recibido una llamada anónima, por lo que tenían que aplicar el Decreto 333 establecido por el gobierno, pero no le mostró ninguna orden de captura, ni de allanamiento. 

“Nos vas acompañar”, le dijo uno de los agentes a María, cuando ella salió de cambiarse su ropa de dormir. “Por qué los voy a acompañar”, les increpó ella. 

En ese momento otro de los policías se molestó y le dijo que no había tiempo para dar explicaciones. El marido le recomendó a María que mantuviera la calma, la abrazó y después de eso no la volvió a saber de ella durante 14 meses. 

A la media noche, María junto a otras personas fueron llevadas a las bartolinas de Usulután. 

Y un día después ya estaba en el penal de mujeres, localizado entonces en Ilopango. Aunque su familia le llevó ropa y toallas sanitarias a las bartolinas, porque se aproximaba su periodo menstrual, ella nunca las recibió. 

María fue acusada por el delito de agrupaciones ilícitas, al igual que las otras personas detenidas en ese mismo operativo. En julio de 2022, María fue enviada al penal de Apanteos, durante un traslado masivo, debido a que ese recinto carcelario pasó a ser solo para mujeres. 

La mujer de 27 años, previo a su detención, laboraba en el Centro de Desarrollo Infantil de la comunidad El Presidio, cuyo financiamiento es realizado con fondos gubernamentales. 

“Nos pareció una injusticia y duele más hasta el punto que no se puede hacer nada. Yo no estoy en contra que se combata la violencia, es más aplaudo eso, pero estoy en contra de los procesos arbitrarios”, manifiesta el esposo de María, sobre su captura. 

La familia presentó los arraigos para demostrar la inocencia de María, entre ellos cartas de los líderes de las comunidades del Bajo Lempa, constancia de salario, declaraciones del impuesto de la renta, escrituras de propiedad, declaraciones juradas de cinco testigos y un álbum de fotografías que demuestran su quehacer religioso, comunitario y laboral.

El 6 de julio de 2023, la familia de María recibió la llamada más esperada. Fue liberada bajo medidas alternas a la prisión, por petición de la Fiscalía. 

“Salí a las siete y media de la noche para Santa Ana, he llegado a las 11 y media con toda mi familia”, recuerda su pareja. 

Pero el regreso no ha sido fácil. Los primeros días su hija había desaprendido a decirle mamá y la llamaba por su nombre y sigue sin poder recuperar su trabajo. 

“Cómo pueden dormir tranquilos, sabiendo el daño que están generando psicológicamente. La gente que no debe nada está pagando un precio caro”, se lamenta el esposo de María.