Select Page

Since the implementation of the state of emergency in March 2022, the Humanitarian Legal Aid (SJH) has documented the death of 236 people inside penitentiaries, 12 of whom are women.

The majority of the women’s deaths in the penitentiaries were due to lack of timely medical care, according to the SJH, and at least three of them showed signs of being beaten. They passed away at hospital centers, and most of them were charged with the crime of illicit associations.

In a report released by the SJH about these deaths in prisons, to date, there is a total of 236 victims whose main report or cause of death is pulmonary edema.

In addition, among the deceased were people with conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, gastrointestinal diseases, and severe malnutrition, who did not receive proper medical treatment. In few cases, cardiac arrest, pneumonia, or other causes were specified.

Without an official report of the victims

According to Ingrid Escobar of the SJH, authorities do not provide an official report of the deaths in prison centers. “At 24 months into the state of emergency, we have confirmed that number. Of the 236 victims, only 6% were profiled as gang members at the time of their arrest, and the other 94% had no criminal records and had roots that demonstrated their innocence, but they were not taken into account,” she explained.

“We also have reports of women who have died inside the prison centers. In addition, two babies, a girl and a boy, who were victims of the situation and poor care they were exposed to,” she added.

Samuel Ramírez, from the Movement of Victims of the Regime (Movir), mentioned that women bear the brunt of the household, and their workload multiplies with the situation of their detained relative. Meanwhile, others who have been captured or suffer illnesses also need to be attended to.

“We know that authorities do not want to admit that many women are in the prison centers as victims; they are innocent and should be released. There have been cases of women who have died, and the Prosecutor’s Office has not conducted any investigation,” he said.

LPG: https://www.laprensagrafica.com/elsalvador/En-regimen-de-excepcion-12-mujeres-y-una-bebe-han-fallecido-en-centros-penales-20240307-0092.html

En régimen de excepción, 12 mujeres y una bebé han fallecido en centros penales salvadoreños

Desde la aplicación del régimen de excepción, en marzo del año 2022, el Socorro Jurídico Humanitario (SJH) ha documentado la muerte de 236 personas al interior de los centros penales, de los cuales 12 son mujeres.

La mayoría de las muertes de las mujeres en los centros penitenciarios fue producto de la falta de atención médica oportuna, según el SJH, y al menos tres de ellas presentaron signos de golpes. Fallecieron en centros hospitalarios y la mayoría estaba acusada por el delito de agrupaciones ilícitas.

En un informe dado a conocer por el SJH acerca de esas muertes en centros penales, hasta la fecha hay un total de 236 víctimas cuyo principal reporte o causa del deceso es el edema pulmonar.

Además, dentro de los fallecidos se encontraban personas con enfermedades como la diabetes, hipertensión, enfermedades gastrointestinales y desnutrición severa, quienes no recibieron un tratamiento médico adecuado. En pocos casos se especificó paro cardíaco, neumonía u otros.

Sin un reporte oficial de las víctimas

De acuerdo con Ingrid Escobar, del SJH, las autoridades no dan un reporte oficial de los fallecimientos en los centros penales. “A 24 meses del régimen hemos confirmado esa cifra. De las 236 víctimas solo el 6% estaba perfilado como pandillero al momento de su captura y el otro 94 % no tenía antecedentes (penales) y tenían los arraigos que demostraban su inocencia, pero no fueron tomados en cuenta”, explicó.

“Tenemos el reporte también de mujeres que han fallecido en el interior de los centros penales. Además, dos bebés, una niña y un niño, quienes fueron víctima de la situación y malos cuidados a los que son expuestos”, agregó.

Samuel Ramírez, del Movimiento de Víctimas del Régimen (Movir), mencionó que las mujeres son quienes más llevan la carga del hogar y el trabajo se multiplica con la situación de su familiar detenido. En tanto, otras que han sido capturadas o sufren enfermedades, también deben ser atendidas.

“Sabemos que las autoridades no quieren admitir que muchas mujeres están en los centros penales como víctimas, son inocentes, y deben darles la libertad. Se han dado casos de mujeres que han muerto y la Fiscalía no ha hecho ninguna investigación”, expuso.

LPG: https://www.laprensagrafica.com/elsalvador/En-regimen-de-excepcion-12-mujeres-y-una-bebe-han-fallecido-en-centros-penales-20240307-0092.html