Select Page

The Humanitarian Legal Aid Organization (SJH) confirmed yesterday that it has recorded 235 deaths of inmates since the state of emergency began, that is, from March 27, 2022, to the present, and maintains that 48% of them died with signs of violence, while another 30% did so due to lack of adequate medical care.

Ingrid Escobar, of Humanitarian Legal Aid, told LA PRENSA GRÁFICA that these 235 cases are documented thanks to complaints from the victims’ families.

“22 months into the state of emergency, we have confirmed that number. Of the 235 victims, only 6% were profiled as gang members at the time of their arrest, and the other 94% had no criminal record and had the roots to prove their innocence,” she explained.

The last four reported cases are those of Javier España Trinidad, who died on February 4 and was held at the Mariona prison; Santos Antonio Bolaños, on February 17 and held at the Izalco prison; David Martínez Hernández, on February 17 and at the Santa Ana Penitentiary Center; and Raúl Rivera, on February 18 and held at the Izalco prison.

Escobar said that it catches their attention that during the presidential and legislative election period, between February 4 and 16, the Penitentiary Centers reported no deaths within the prisons. “There are two interpretations of this. They have the possibility of ordering that there be no torture so that they do not die or conceal the deaths in the morgues,” she analyzed.

On Sentences for Minors

Escobar also commented on the 1,065 minors who have already been convicted under the state of emergency, according to figures released on Thursday, February 22 by the Minister of Security, Gustavo Villatoro.

“These are quite irresponsible statements (about convictions of minors), especially if they know the institutional weakness and considering cases we have known of minors who have been sentenced to up to ten years in prison based only on a false testimony from a military member,” she said, referring to the work that the Humanitarian Aid did with the case of Samuel Cali, a young man from Isla Espíritu Santo who managed to prove his innocence and regain his freedom.

“It is likely that many of these convictions lack any basis,” she added.

LPG: https://www.laprensagrafica.com/elsalvador/Socorro-Juridico-ya-contabiliza-235-reos-muertos-en-regimen-20240223-0089.html

Socorro Jurídico ya contabiliza 235 reos muertos bajo régimen de excepción en El Salvador

La organización Socorro Jurídico Humanitario (SJH) confirmó ayer que contabiliza 235 privados de libertad fallecidos desde que inició el régimen de excepción, es decir, del 27 de marzo de 2022 a la fecha, y sostiene que un 48 % de ellos murieron con signos de violencia, mientras que otro 30 % lo hizo por falta de atención médica adecuada.

Ingrid Escobar, de Socorro JurídicoHumanitario, dijo a LA PRENSA GRÁFICA que estos 235 casos están documentados gracias a denuncias de las familias de las víctimas.

“A 22 meses del régimen hemos confirmado esa cifra. De las 235 víctimas solo el 6 % estaba perfilado como pandillero al momento de su captura y el otro 94 % no tenía antecedentes y tenían los arraigos que demostraban su inocencia”, explicó.

Los últimos cuatro casos reportados son los de Javier España Trinidad, quien murió el 4 de febrero y estaba recluido en el penal de Mariona; Santos Antonio Bolaños, el 17 de febrero y recluido en el penal de Izalco; David Martínez Hernández, 17 de febrero y Centro Penitenciario de Santa Ana; y Raúl Rivera, el 18 de febrero y quien estaba en el penal de Izalco.

Escobar dijo que les llama la atención que durante el período de elecciones presidenciales y legislativas, entre el 4 y el 16 de febrero, Centros Penales no reportó fallecidos dentro de las cárceles. “Sobre eso hay dos lecturas. Ellos tienen la posibilidad de ordenar que no haya torturas para que no mueran o bien ocultan las muertes en las morgues”, analizó.

Sobre penas a menores

Escobar también se pronunció sobre los 1,065 menores de edad que ya fueron condenados en el marco del régimen de excepción, según cifras reveladas el jueves 22 de febrero por el ministro de Seguridad, Gustavo Villatoro.

“Son declaraciones bastante irresponsables (sobre las condenas a menores), sobre todo si ellos conocen la debilidad institucional y a la luz de casos que hemos conocido, de menores que han sido condenados hasta a diez años de cárcel solo con un testimonio falso de un militar”, expuso, en alusión al trabajo que el Socorro hizo con el caso de Samuel Cali, un joven de la Isla Espíritu Santo que logró demostrar su inocencia y recuperar su libertad.

“Es probable que muchas de estas condenas no tengan fundamentos”, agregó.

LPG: https://www.laprensagrafica.com/elsalvador/Socorro-Juridico-ya-contabiliza-235-reos-muertos-en-regimen-20240223-0089.html