Select Page

February 4th was supposed to be Nayib Bukele’s coronation day. Having successfully rigged the electoral system in his favor, suppressed political opposition, and won over much of the population with an apparent victory over El Salvador’s infamous criminal gangs, the millennial millionaire and current president was ready to easily secure a second term—despite constitutional prohibitions on re-election—and sweep the legislative elections with his party Nuevas Ideas (NI).

According to most polls, that’s exactly what happened. Just under 53% of Salvadorans went to the polls that Sunday, and the vast majority voted for Bukele. Many of those voters—although not as many as the president had hoped—also voted for Bukele’s party in the legislative elections.

But something went wrong. When members of the Election Monitoring Boards (JRV) began entering their results, the platform registering the preliminary results on election night crashed. With only 70% of the presidential votes and 5% of the legislative results counted, the national electoral board (Supreme Electoral Tribunal or TSE) declared the preliminary count a failure.

The subsequent recount was controversial, and accusations of fraud—now even more credible—increased exponentially. Bukele and his party seemed to be stealing elections that, in most cases, they had already won.

Manipulating the System

Long before election day, social movements and analysts warned that the president’s unconstitutional re-election attempt, coupled with growing authoritarianism and last-minute reforms, made it impossible to hold free and fair elections in El Salvador.

The February 4th elections were the first since the civil war (1980-1992) to be held under a state of emergency. The suspension of constitutional guarantees such as due process has been renewed by Bukele’s legislative majority every thirty days since March 2022, after a secret government pact with criminal gang leaders to reduce homicides failed.

The resulting mass arrests provided relief for popular sectors suffering from gang violence and extortion, even as they effectively criminalized them. With El Salvador now having the highest incarceration rate in the world, thousands of innocent people languish in terrible conditions, deprived of the right to communicate with their families or contact a lawyer. Human rights groups have confirmed at least 224 deaths in state custody—many due to medical negligence and some with clear signs of violence—and none of the victims had been convicted of any crime.

In Bukele’s El Salvador, the indefinite state of emergency is a handy cover for the persecution and repression of political opposition, journalists, and activists. The president has deployed the army to occupy historical bastions of the left and rural settlements defending communal land against government-backed megaprojects and extractive industries. Dozens of former cabinet members, elected officials, and leaders of the leftist party Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front (FMLN)—the party Bukele used to launch his political career—are behind bars, fighting trumped-up corruption charges or in exile.

Repression also serves to discipline Bukele’s allies. Three days after the elections, news of the death of Alejandro Muyshondt, Bukele’s former National Security Advisor, broke. He had been jailed in July after making public accusations of corruption and drug trafficking against a Nuevas Ideas legislator. His family claims he was tortured and murdered.

Pre-election polls indicated that Bukele’s popularity was solid, but his party’s reputation was more vulnerable. Nuevas Ideas mayors, in particular, faced growing discontent as the cash-strapped administration centralized and rationed municipal funding, forcing layoffs and service cuts. Anticipating backlash, Bukele attempted to shield himself and his lawmakers by separating municipal elections from presidential and legislative ones, scheduling the former for March 3rd.

Eager to maintain his parliamentary supermajority, Bukele proceeded to provide legislative ballots to Salvadorans voting abroad (a practice inaugurated under the FMLN; previous exercises abroad had been limited to presidential elections). Bukele made El Salvador’s massive diaspora a critical segment of his base and arranged for all legislative votes of Salvadorans residing abroad, regardless of their place of birth, to be allocated to the populous department of San Salvador, which housed the largest number of legislative seats. The influx of diaspora support was calculated to counter any lingering sympathy for the opposition in the country’s capital.

But that’s not all. In June, Bukele’s legislators passed a package of electoral reforms aimed at eradicating opposition altogether. These measures reduced the number of legislators from 84 to 60, significantly raising the vote threshold for a single seat while changing the seat allocation formula from one that benefited smaller parties to one that favored majority parties. Locally, 83% of municipalities were eliminated, reducing their total from 262 to 44. This change in the rules of the game enabled Bukele to further centralize power, effectively suppressing minority parties from the political system.

To top it off, his legislators also denied opposition parties the public funding for their campaigns (required by law), ensuring that only Nuevas Ideas had resources for advertising. In the run-up to February 4th, the media was flooded with messages from the president warning that if his party did not attain a qualified majority, “The opposition will be able to achieve its true and only plan: to release gang members and use them to regain power.”

On this dramatically uneven playing field, Bukele’s capture of autonomous public institutions further tilted the balance in his favor. After his new legislative majority illegally replaced the Supreme Court of Justice’s Constitutional Chamber’s five magistrates in May 2021, the new magistrates dutifully reinterpreted the six different articles prohibiting presidential re-election to authorize Bukele’s early candidacy for a second consecutive term.

In November 2023, the Supreme Electoral Tribunal, a plural body established by the Chapultepec Peace Accords of 1992 that ended decades of US-backed military dictatorship, voted in favor of approving his candidacy. A single dissenting magistrate abstained, citing death threats and fear of being imprisoned.

Election Day

In its heyday, Salvadoran post-war electoral democracy thrived on mutual distrust. The three parties garnering the most votes in the last presidential elections each appoint a TSE magistrate. On election day, all lists provide volunteers to staff polling centers, ensuring the presence of representatives from each participating party in each of the country’s thousands of Election Monitoring Boards. Accredited observers from each party receive official copies of the records on election night at each polling station nationwide.

This carefully calibrated system had already suffered significant setbacks before Bukele. Following the FMLN’s rise to the presidency in 2009, the traditional and oligarchic right launched a campaign to weaken the political role of parties as a means of undermining the ruling left.

With US support, the right-dominated Supreme Court of Justice worked to “de-politicize” politics, banning party members from holding a series of public positions, including staffing Election Monitoring Boards on election day. They introduced independent political candidates, ordered the inclusion of individual photos on ballot papers, and allowed citizens to split their votes among legislative candidates from various parties.

In the end, Bukele successfully deployed the new post-partisan discourse against left and right parties. But the damage to the political system was already done.

The law still required political parties to provide volunteers for the Election Monitoring Boards, but they found it difficult to find unaffiliated supporters to work at the polls. Vote counting, especially for the legislature, became a nightmare. Exhausted electoral workers—many now selected by TSE lottery from a pool of reluctant, disaffected citizens after the party membership ban eliminated the most committed and experienced volunteers—had to deal with convoluted calculations on a series of spreadsheets late into the night, eroding public confidence in a system that had cost much to achieve.

After Bukele deprived opposition parties of campaign funds, they had difficulty mobilizing Election Monitoring Board workers and party observers on February 4th. Only the ruling Nuevas Ideas managed to secure representation in all Election Monitoring Boards. In many cases, opposition-accredited table volunteers were replaced at the last minute by NI-provided personnel. In the absence of competition, the tense, partisan atmosphere that had characterized previous Salvadoran elections was replaced by a calm that was, paradoxically, extremely disturbing.

The day was not without incidents. At a San Salvador polling center, Salvadoran-Canadian writer Carlos Borja staged a protest by reading aloud the six constitutional articles that prohibit presidential re-election. The gesture earned him imprisonment for three days. However, most of the voting went smoothly. At 5:00 p.m., polling centers closed, and Election Monitoring Board volunteers began opening ballot boxes, sorting ballots, counting results, and entering them into the computer system provided by the TSE, where they would appear in real-time on the official preliminary results portal.

In previous years, the TSE instructed polling centers to first carry out the more complicated legislative ballot scrutiny, leaving presidential votes for last. This year, the orders were reversed: Bukele did not want to delay news of his triumph.

So eager was he to declare victory that by 7:00 p.m., the president took to social media to announce that, “according to our numbers,” he had won re-election with “more than 85%” of the votes, and that his party had secured 58 of the 60 legislative seats. This news was met with considerable confusion by Nuevas Ideas volunteers at polling centers nationwide, most of whom had not even begun reviewing legislative ballots.

Vote counting had started slowly. Key materials, including official results records, were missing at polling centers nationwide and took hours to deliver. However, once most tables finished counting their presidential ballots and began taking in legislative ones, something strange occurred.

Those refreshing the TSE portal found impossible discrepancies in the data; by 10 pm, with 31.49% of presidential votes recorded, the system showed more ballots cast than eligible voters in the country. At polling centers, election workers spent hours trying to upload data without success. The system wasn’t working.

Finally, the TSE ordered Election Monitoring Boards to fill out their results records by hand. With 70.25% of presidential results recorded and only 5.06% of legislative results, the preliminary count was a complete failure.

The Recount

On February 5th, the TSE held a press conference and announced that it would convene a complete recount, ballot by ballot, of the remaining 30% of presidential votes and all legislative votes. The magistrates offered no explanations for the technical problems and did not accept questions.

Alarms began to sound that same afternoon when TSE delegates from the capital department of San Salvador reported they had never received the corresponding ballots and asked their superiors to immediately present the ballot boxes. The TSE insisted that the chain of custody of the ballots had never been broken, but the press discovered ballot boxes had been stored outside TSE properties, including an Armed Forces warehouse and private warehouses. Other reports about lost ballots found in schools and delivered ballot boxes with visible damage and broken seals further undermined confidence in the integrity of the votes to be reviewed in the final count.

The final presidential count began the evening of February 7th. By then, the TSE had nuanced its decision: the presidential count would only review preliminary results records. Only ballots from tables where records had not been registered would be examined.

But in half of the polling tables, it was impossible to find original records, so the TSE authorized proceeding with the count based on copies. Suppression of opposition parties in the process meant that often, only party observers and government bodies had obtained copies of the records, leaving no independent means to verify the figures.

The presidential count concluded on February 9th, with Bukele receiving 82.66% of the votes. The FMLN finished a distant second place, with 204,167 votes compared to Nuevas Ideas’ 2,701,725, followed by the right-wing Nationalist Republican Alliance (ARENA) party, with 177,881 votes.

While the presidential count was fraught with irregularities and mishaps, Bukele’s victory was largely anticipated. The legislative results, on the other hand, remained a mystery. It was common knowledge that Nuevas Ideas would secure most of the seats, but the margin of their victory continued to be uncertain. Bukele’s coveted parliamentary supermajority was in question.

The legislative count began on the evening of February 11th. It was chaotic from the start. Once again, the TSE backtracked on its decision to conduct a full recount, announcing this time that it would not alter the preliminary sorting of ballots. This meant that valid votes previously disqualified by Nuevas Ideas-dominated polling tables could not be reconsidered, and void votes considered admissible could not be discarded. When the count was about to begin, four of the five alternate TSE magistrates distanced themselves from their colleagues, declaring that they “were no longer in a position to accept decisions not issued in accordance with the law.”

Observers from the ruling party and uncredentialed supporters swarmed around the stadium where the count was held, harassing opposition representatives and international observers and threatening journalists. Soon, reports multiplied about the counting of piles of ballots that showed no wrinkles from being folded and inserted into the narrow TSE ballot box slots. Others had been marked with ballpoint pens instead of the black crayons the TSE had given voters on election day. In some tables, there were discrepancies between the number of people who registered to vote and the marked ballots: while some tables had missing ballots, others had too many.

On February 12th, the ARENA party withdrew in protest, cautioning that “the TSE is not providing the conditions for a transparent process.” The next day, TSE magistrate Julio Olivo issued a statement demanding that his colleagues ensure the equitable representation of party observers, admit only accredited personnel, and attend to credible allegations of irregularities in the count.

On Friday, February 16th, as the count focused on the ballots of the most populous departments, police surrounded the building, which FMLN legislator Anabel Belloso denounced as a clear “act of intimidation.” The following day, the Organization of American States (OAS) observation mission warned that the process had been hijacked by partisan interests and urged the TSE to “take control of the count.”

The Results

Two weeks after the election day, the contested TSE results show Nuevas Ideas with just under 71% of legislative votes, obtaining 54 of the 60 legislators, a qualified majority. ARENA has two seats; the right-wing National Conciliation Party (PCN) has another two, and the last two seats are divided between the right-wing Christian Democratic Party (PDC) and a new opposition center-right party called Vamos.

The TSE’s own figures show that the FMLN increased its share of votes from the 2019 midterm elections by about twenty thousand votes. Using the previous formula, the party would have increased its number of legislative seats from four to five. Now, for the first time since they put down arms, they will have none.

Had the diaspora vote not been directed to San Salvador, the FMLN would still have secured a seat even despite the formula change. But Bukele was thorough: the legislature to be sworn in on May 1st will have no representation from the left.

Given the extraordinary shortcomings of the TSE to ensure free elections and provide reliable results, El Salvador’s main grassroots opposition movement, the Bloc of Popular Resistance and Rebellion, called on citizens to “reject this electoral farce” and demanded new election calls pending the restoration of democratic conditions. Opposition parties have filed requests to nullify election results.

While the official figures are unreliable, they nonetheless reveal a substantial gap between the president’s popularity and that of his legislators. In the populous coastal department of La Libertad, for example, opposition parties received less than 19% of presidential votes, but 31% of legislative ballots. Despite Bukele’s support, Salvadoran voters were not enthusiastic about the one-party regime.

Time and again, the president has shown distrust of his electorate, taking extraordinary measures to remove his regime from any democratic control. These elections seem to confirm his suspicions: Bukele’s much-touted popularity is more contingent than he would like to admit.


El descarado fraude electoral de Nayib Bukele

Se suponía que el 4 de febrero sería el día de la coronación de Nayib Bukele. Tras haber amañado con éxito el sistema electoral a su favor, haber suprimido a la oposición política y haberse ganado a gran parte de la población mediante una aparente victoria sobre las tristemente célebres pandillas criminales de El Salvador, el millonario millennial y actual presidente estaba preparado para conseguir fácilmente un segundo mandato —al margen de las prohibiciones constitucionales sobre la reelección— y arrasar en las legislativas con su partido Nuevas Ideas (NI).

Según la mayoría de las encuestas, eso es exactamente lo que ocurrió. Algo menos del 53% de los salvadoreños acudieron a las urnas aquel domingo, y la inmensa mayoría de ellos votaron por Bukele. Gran parte de esos votantes —aunque, al parecer, no tantos como esperaba el presidente— también votaron por el partido de Bukele en las legislativas.

Pero algo salió mal. cuando los integrantes de las juntas receptoras de votos (JRV) empezaron a ingresar sus resultados, la plataforma que registraba los resultados preliminares la noche de las elecciones se bloqueó. Con solo el 70% de los votos presidenciales y el 5% de los resultados legislativos contabilizados, la junta electoral nacional (el Tribunal Supremo Electoral o TSE) declaró fallido el escrutinio preliminar.

El recuento que le siguió fue polémico, y las acusaciones de fraude —ahora todavía más creíbles— aumentaron exponencialmente. Bukele y su partido parecían estar robando unas elecciones que, en la mayoría de los casos, ya habían ganado.

Manipular el sistema

Mucho antes del día de las elecciones, tanto movimientos sociales como analistas habían advertido que el intento de reelección inconstitucional del presidente, junto al creciente autoritarismo y las reformas de última hora, hacían imposible la celebración de unas elecciones libres y justas en El Salvador.

Los comicios del 4 de febrero fueron los primeros desde la guerra civil (1980-1992) que se celebraron bajo un estado de excepción. La suspensión de garantías constitucionales como el debido proceso ha sido renovada por la mayoría legislativa de Bukele cada treinta días desde marzo de 2022, después de que fracasara un pacto secreto del gobierno con los líderes de las pandillas criminales para reducir los homicidios.

Las consiguientes detenciones masivas supusieron un alivio para los sectores populares que padecían el embate de la violencia de las pandillas y la extorsión, incluso cuando en la práctica eran criminalizadas. Con El Salvador ostentando ahora la tasa de encarcelamiento más alta del mundo, miles de inocentes languidecen en condiciones terribles, privados del derecho a comunicarse con sus familias o contactar a un abogado. Grupos de derechos humanos han confirmado al menos 224 muertes bajo custodia estatal —muchas de ellas por negligencia médica y algunas con signos evidentes de violencia—, y ninguna de las víctimas había sido condenada por delito alguno.

En El Salvador de Bukele, el estado de excepción indefinido es una cómoda tapadera para la persecución y represión de la oposición política, los periodistas y los activistas. El presidente ha desplegado al Ejército para ocupar bastiones históricos de la izquierda y asentamientos rurales que defienden la tierra comunitaria contra los megaproyectos y las industrias extractivas respaldados por el gobierno. Decenas de exmiembros del gabinete, cargos electos y dirigentes del partido de izquierda Frente Farabundo Martí para la Liberación Nacional (FMLN) —el partido que Bukele utilizó para lanzar su carrera política— están entre las rejas, luchando contra acusaciones de corrupción inventadas o en el exilio.

La represión también sirve para disciplinar a los aliados de Bukele. Tres días después de las elecciones saltó la noticia de la muerte de Alejandro Muyshondt, exasesor de Seguridad Nacional de Bukele, que había sido encarcelado en julio tras lanzar acusaciones públicas de corrupción y narcotráfico contra un legislador de Nuevas Ideas. Su familia alega que fue torturado y asesinado.

Las encuestas previas a las elecciones indicaban que la popularidad de Bukele era firme, pero la reputación de su partido resultó más vulnerable. Los alcaldes de Nuevas Ideas, especialmente, enfrentaban a un creciente descontento, ya que la administración, escasa de dinero, centralizó y racionó la financiación municipal, obligando a despidos y recortes de servicios. Anticipándose a las reacciones, Bukele había intentado protegerse a sí mismo y a sus legisladores separando las elecciones municipales de las presidenciales y legislativas, programando las primeras para el 3 de marzo.

Ansioso por mantener su mayoría calificada parlamentaria, Bukele procedió a suministrar papeletas legislativas a los salvadoreños que votaban en el extranjero (una práctica inaugurada bajo el FMLN, los ejercicios anteriores de voto en el extranjero se habían limitado a las elecciones presidenciales). Bukele hizo de la masiva diáspora de El Salvador un segmento crítico de su base, y dispuso que todos los votos legislativos de los salvadoreños residentes en el extranjero, independientemente de su lugar de nacimiento, se asignaran al populoso departamento de San Salvador, que alberga el mayor número de escaños legislativos. La afluencia de apoyo de la diáspora estaba calculada para contrarrestar cualquier simpatía duradera hacia la oposición en la capital del país.

Pero eso no es todo. En junio, los legisladores de Bukele aprobaron un paquete de reformas electorales que tenían por objetivo erradicar por completo a la oposición. Estas medidas redujeron el número de legisladores de 84 a 60, elevando significativamente el umbral de votos para un solo escaño, al tiempo que cambiaban la fórmula de reparto de escaños de una que beneficiaba a los partidos más pequeños a otra que favorecía a los partidos mayoritarios. A nivel local, se eliminaron el 83% de los municipios, reduciendo su total de 262 a 44. Este cambio en las reglas del juego posibilitó a Bukele centralizar aún más el poder, puesto que prácticamente suprime a los partidos minoritarios del sistema político.

Por si fuera poco, sus legisladores también negaron a los partidos de la oposición la financiación pública de sus campañas (exigida por la ley), asegurándose de que solo Nuevas Ideas dispusiera de recursos para hacer publicidad. En el periodo previo al 4 de febrero, los medios de comunicación se inundaron de mensajes del presidente advirtiendo que, si su partido no obtenía la mayoría cualificada, «La oposición podrá lograr su verdadero y único plan: liberar a los pandilleros y ocuparlos para regresar al poder».

En este terreno de juego dramáticamente desigual, la captura por Bukele de las instituciones públicas autónomas inclinó aún más la balanza a su favor. Después de que su nueva mayoría legislativa sustituyera ilegalmente a los cinco magistrados de la Sala Constitucional de la Corte Suprema de Justicia en mayo de 2021, los nuevos magistrados reinterpretaron obedientemente los seis artículos diferentes que prohíben la reelección presidencial para autorizar la anticipada candidatura de Bukele a un segundo mandato consecutivo.

En noviembre de 2023, el Tribunal Supremo Electoral, un órgano plural instaurado por los Acuerdos de Paz de Chapultepec de 1992 que pusieron fin a décadas de dictadura militar respaldada por Estados Unidos, votó a favor de aprobar la candidatura. Un único magistrado disidente se abstuvo, alegando amenazas de muerte y temor a ser encarcelado.

La jornada electoral

En sus mejores momentos, la democracia electoral salvadoreña de posguerra ha prosperado gracias a la desconfianza mutua. Los tres partidos más votados en las últimas elecciones presidenciales nombran cada uno a un magistrado del TSE. El día de las elecciones, todas las listas aportan voluntarios para dotar de personal a los centros de votación, garantizando la presencia de representantes de cada partido participante en cada una de las miles de Juntas Receptoras de Votos de todo el país. Los observadores acreditados de cada partido reciben copias oficiales de las actas la noche de las elecciones en cada mesa electoral de los centros de todo el país.

Este sistema cuidadosamente calibrado ya había sufrido importantes reveses antes de Bukele. Tras el ascenso del FMLN a la presidencia en 2009, la derecha tradicional y oligárquica lanzó una campaña para debilitar el papel político de los partidos como medio de socavar a la izquierda gobernante.

Con el apoyo de Estados Unidos, la Corte Suprema de Justicia, dominada por la derecha, trabajó para «despartidizar» la política, prohibiendo a los miembros de los partidos desempeñar una serie de cargos públicos, incluido el personal de las Juntas Receptoras de Votos el día de las elecciones. Introdujeron candidatos políticos independientes, ordenaron la inclusión de fotos individuales en las papeletas de voto y autorizaron a los ciudadanos a dividir sus votos entre candidatos legislativos de varios partidos.

Al final, Bukele desplegó con provecho el nuevo discurso pospartidista contra los partidos de izquierda y de derecha. Pero el daño al sistema político ya estaba hecho.

La ley seguía exigiendo a los partidos políticos que proporcionaran voluntarios para las Juntas Receptoras de Votos, pero les resultaba difícil encontrar simpatizantes no afiliados que trabajaran en las urnas. El conteo de votos, especialmente para la legislatura, se convirtió en una pesadilla. Los agotados trabajadores electorales —muchos de ellos seleccionados ahora por sorteo del TSE de entre un grupo de ciudadanos reacios y desafectos, después de que la prohibición de pertenecer a un partido eliminara a los voluntarios más comprometidos y experimentados— se vieron obligados a lidiar con cálculos enrevesados en una serie de hojas de cálculo hasta altas horas de la madrugada, erosionando la confianza pública en un sistema que había costado mucho conseguir.

Después de que Bukele privara a los partidos de la oposición de fondos para la campaña, estos tuvieron dificultades para movilizar a los trabajadores de las Juntas Receptoras de Votos y a los observadores de los partidos el 4 de febrero. Solo el oficialista Nuevas Ideas consiguió garantizar representación en todas las Juntas Receptoras de Votos. En muchos casos, los voluntarios de las mesas acreditados por la oposición fueron sustituidos a último momento por personal proporcionado por NI. En ausencia de competencia, el ambiente tenso y partidista que había caracterizado las anteriores elecciones salvadoreñas fue sustituido por una calma que, paradójicamente, era sumamente inquietante.

La jornada no estuvo exenta de incidentes. En un centro de votación de San Salvador, el escritor salvadoreño-canadiense Carlos Borja organizó una protesta leyendo en voz alta los seis artículos de la Constitución que prohíben la reelección presidencial. El gesto le valió el encarcelamiento durante tres días. Sin embargo, la mayor parte de las votaciones se desarrollaron con normalidad. A las 17:00, los centros de votación cerraron y los voluntarios de las Juntas Receptoras de Votos empezaron a abrir las urnas, clasificar las papeletas, contar los resultados e introducirlos en el sistema informático suministrado por el TSE, donde aparecerían en tiempo real en el portal de resultados preliminares oficial.

En años anteriores, el TSE dio instrucciones a los centros de votación para que realizaran primero el escrutinio más complicado, el de las papeletas legislativas, y dejaran para el final los votos presidenciales. Este año, las órdenes se invirtieron: Bukele no quería retrasar la noticia de su triunfo.

Tan ansioso estaba por declarar la victoria que, a las 19:00 horas, el presidente acudió a las redes sociales para anunciar que, «según nuestros números», había ganado la reelección con «más del 85%» de los votos, y que su partido se había asegurado 58 de los 60 escaños legislativos. Esta noticia fue recibida con bastante confusión por parte de los voluntarios de Nuevas Ideas en los centros electorales de todo el país, la mayoría de los cuales aún no habían empezado siquiera a revisar las papeletas legislativas.

El conteo de votos había empezado con lentitud. En los centros de votación de todo el país faltaban materiales clave, incluidos las actas oficiales de resultados, y tardaron horas en entregarlos. Sin embargo, una vez que la mayoría de las mesas terminaron de contar sus papeletas presidenciales y empezaron a llegar las legislativas, ocurrió algo extraño.

Quienes refrescaban el portal del TSE encontraban discrepancias imposibles en los datos; a las 10 de la noche, con el 31,49% de los votos presidenciales registrados, el sistema mostraba más papeletas emitidas que votantes con derecho a voto en el país. En los centros de votación, los trabajadores electorales pasaron horas intentando cargar los datos sin éxito. El sistema no funcionaba.

Finalmente, el TSE ordenó a las Juntas Receptoras de Votos que rellenaran a mano sus actas de resultados. Con el 70,25% de los resultados presidenciales registrados y tan solo el 5,06% de los resultados legislativos, el escrutinio preliminar era todo un fracaso.

El recuento

El 5 de febrero, el TSE celebró una conferencia de prensa y anunció que convocaría un recuento completo, papeleta por papeleta, del 30% restante de los votos presidenciales y de todos los votos legislativos. Los magistrados no dieron explicaciones sobre los problemas técnicos ni aceptaron preguntas.

Las alarmas empezaron a saltar esa misma tarde, cuando los delegados del TSE del departamento capitalino de San Salvador informaron que nunca habían recibido las papeletas correspondientes y pidieron a sus superiores que presentaran inmediatamente las urnas. El TSE insistió en que nunca se había roto la cadena de custodia de las papeletas, pero la prensa descubrió que se habían almacenado urnas fuera de las propiedades del TSE, incluido un depósito de las Fuerzas Armadas y almacenes privados. Otros informes sobre papeletas extraviadas encontradas en colegios y urnas entregadas con visibles daños y sellos rotos minaron aún más la confianza en la integridad de los votos que se revisarían en el conteo final.

El escrutinio presidencial final comenzó la noche del 7 de febrero. Para entonces, el TSE había matizado su decisión: el escrutinio presidencial solo revisaría las actas de resultados preliminares. Solo se examinarían las papeletas de las mesas en las que no se hubieran registrado actas.

Pero en la mitad de las mesas de votación fue imposible encontrar las actas originales, por lo que el TSE autorizó que se procediera al conteo basándose en copias. La supresión de los partidos de la oposición en el proceso significó que, a menudo, solo los observadores de los partidos y los organismos gubernamentales habían obtenido copias de las actas, sin dejar ningún medio independiente para verificar las cifras.

El escrutinio presidencial concluyó el 9 de febrero, y Bukele obtuvo el 82,66% de los votos. El FMLN quedó en un distante segundo lugar, con 204.167 votos frente a los 2.701.725 de Nuevas Ideas, seguido del partido derechista Alianza Republicana Nacionalista (ARENA), con 177.881.

Si bien el escrutinio presidencial fue accidentado y estuvo lleno de irregularidades, la victoria de Bukele era cantada. Los resultados legislativos, en cambio, seguían siendo un misterio. Era vox populi que Nuevas Ideas conseguiría hacerse con la mayoría de los escaños, pero el margen de su triunfo continuaba siendo una incógnita. La ansiada mayoría calificada parlamentaria de Bukele estaba en duda.

El escrutinio legislativo comenzó la noche del 11 de febrero. Fue un caos desde el principio. Una vez más, el TSE se retractó de su decisión de realizar un recuento completo, anunciando esta vez que no se alteraría la clasificación preliminar de las papeletas, lo que significaba que los votos válidos que habían sido descalificados por las mesas de votación dominadas por Nuevas Ideas no podían reconsiderarse, y que los votos nulos que se habían considerado admisibles no podían descartarse. Cuando el escrutinio estaba a punto de comenzar, cuatro de los cinco magistrados suplentes del TSE se desmarcaron de sus colegas, declarando que «ya no estaban en condiciones de aceptar decisiones que no se han emitido conforme a la ley».

Los observadores del partido oficialista y partidarios sin credenciales pulularon por el estadio donde se celebraba el escrutinio, acosando a los representantes de la oposición y a los observadores internacionales y amenazando a los periodistas. Pronto se multiplicaron los informes sobre el escrutinio de montones de papeletas que no mostraban arrugas por haber sido dobladas e introducidas en la estrecha ranura de las urnas del TSE. Otras habían sido marcadas con bolígrafo en lugar de con los crayones negros que el TSE había entregado a los votantes el día de las elecciones. En algunas mesas surgieron discrepancias entre el número de personas que se inscribieron para votar y las papeletas marcadas: mientras había mesas en las que faltaban papeletas, en otras había demasiadas.

El 12 de febrero, el partido ARENA se retiró en señal de protesta, advirtiendo que «el TSE no está proporcionando las condiciones para un proceso transparente». Al día siguiente, el magistrado del TSE Julio Olivo emitió un comunicado en el que exigía a sus colegas que garantizaran la representación equitativa de los observadores de los partidos, admitieran solo a personal acreditado y atendieran las denuncias creíbles de irregularidades en el escrutinio.

El viernes 16 de febrero, cuando el escrutinio se centró en las papeletas de los departamentos más poblados, la Policía rodeó el edificio, en lo que la legisladora del FMLN Anabel Belloso denunció como un claro «acto de intimidación». Al día siguiente, la misión de observación de la Organización de Estados Americanos (OEA) advirtió de que el proceso había sido requisado por intereses partidistas y pidió al TSE que «tomara el control del escrutinio».

Los resultados

Dos semanas después de la jornada electoral, los resultados del TSE, impugnados como están, muestran a Nuevas Ideas con algo menos del 71% de los votos legislativos, obteniendo 54 de los 60 legisladores, una mayoría calificada. ARENA tiene dos escaños; el derechista Partido de Conciliación Nacional (PCN) tiene otros dos, y los dos últimos escaños están divididos entre el derechista Partido Demócrata Cristiano (PDC) y un nuevo partido de oposición de centroderecha llamado Vamos.

Las propias cifras del TSE muestran que el FMLN aumentó su porcentaje de votos con respecto a las elecciones intermedias de 2019 en unos veinte mil votos. Utilizando la fórmula anterior, el partido habría aumentado su cantidad de bancas legislativas de cuatro a cinco. Ahora, por primera vez desde que depusieron las armas, no tendrán ninguna.

Si el voto de la diáspora no se hubiera dirigido a San Salvador, el FMLN se habría asegurado un escaño incluso a pesar del cambio de fórmula. Pero Bukele fue minucioso: la legislatura que tomará posesión el 1º de mayo no tendrá ninguna representación de la izquierda.

Dadas las extraordinarias deficiencias del TSE para garantizar unas elecciones libres y ofrecer resultados fiables, el principal movimiento de oposición de base de El Salvador, el Bloque de Resistencia y Rebeldía Popular, pidió a la ciudadanía que «rechazara esta farsa electoral» y exigió una nueva convocatoria a elecciones a la espera de que se restablezcan las condiciones democráticas. Los partidos de la oposición han presentado demandas de anulación de los resultados electorales.

Aunque las cifras oficiales no son fiables, de todas maneras revelan una brecha sustancial entre la popularidad del presidente y la de sus legisladores. En el populoso departamento costero de La Libertad, por ejemplo, los partidos de la oposición obtuvieron menos del 19% de los votos presidenciales, pero el 31% de las papeletas legislativas. A pesar de todo el apoyo de Bukele, los votantes salvadoreños no estaban entusiasmados con el régimen de partido único.

Una y otra vez, el presidente ha demostrado desconfiar de su propio electorado, tomando medidas extraordinarias para sustraer su régimen de cualquier control democrático. Estas elecciones parecen confirmar sus sospechas: la tan cacareada popularidad de Bukele es más contingente de lo que él mismo preferiría admitir.