Select Page

The collegiate body of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal, composed of five principal magistrates and five alternates, has experienced a rupture due to the irregular electoral process that only last Friday — five days after the election — confirmed Nayib Bukele as the winner to govern for another five years, despite the explicit constitutional prohibition.

El Faro obtained a copy of three letters that the alternate magistrates sent to their principal colleagues of the collegiate body during the week after the February 4 elections. In the last of the notes, received by the TSE general secretariat on Sunday, February 11 at noon, four of the five alternates distance themselves from all the decisions and announcements given by the TSE since the night of February 4 when the preliminary data transmission system failed. In one of the letters, they suggest that actions far from the ‘legal’ and ‘correct’ form had been committed. ‘Unilaterally.’

In the letter, the alternate magistrates assert: “we are no longer in a position to accept decisions that have not been legally issued” nor “unilaterally taken declarations and commitments.”

The alternate magistrates sent two other letters: the first one, the day after the voting; and the second one, on Thursday, February 8, when four days had passed without official results and the TSE was battling in a capital city hotel to open the final counting of votes and ballots of the presidential election. In both letters, the alternates complained to their colleagues about the lack of information on the decisions taken by the principals and also asked them to take the necessary measures to ensure that information about the course of action was shared among the 10 magistrates.

In the letters, the alternate magistrates also recounted the anomalies they observed in the days leading up to the voting and therefore asked not to be held responsible for the failures of Sunday, February 4. “We cannot accept any responsibility for the problems that were presented to us belatedly,” says the February 5 letter, which suggests that the only ones who knew the full picture facing the election were the principal magistrates.

In their notes to the collegiate body, the alternates also showed open doubts about whether the TSE would be able to successfully complete the March 3 election that will designate the new mayors and councilors of the country’s 44 municipalities.

Alternate magistrate Sonia Liévano confirmed the authenticity of the documents but added a nuance: “What I can confirm is that the note was immediately addressed and that the necessary agreements were taken to agree to continue working together to complete the electoral event,” she said.

TSE principal magistrate Noel Orellana also confirmed that the collegiate body had received three letters dated February 5, 8, and 11 but, in his opinion, the ideas expressed did not represent any issue of transcendence.

Two of the letters were signed by the five alternate magistrates: Marlon Harold Cornejo Ávalos, alternate of the magistrate proposed by Arena; Carmen Veraliz Velázquez, alternate of the magistrate proposed by the FMLN; Rene Abelardo Molina, alternate of the TSE president from the Gana party; María Blanca Paz Montalvo and Sonia Clementina Liévano, alternates of the magistrates placed by the Supreme Court of Justice.

The last of the letters, dated February 11, was signed only by the last four magistrates. Cornejo does not appear as a signatory.

On Sunday, February 11, the TSE also set up 300 tables in the Adolfo Pineda gym in San Salvador to count the ballots of the legislative election vote by vote, the result of which is still uncertain because on February 4, less than 1% of the ballots were transmitted.

This process has also been problematic because, on the one hand, political parties such as Arena, Vamos, and Nuestro Tiempo claim that the TSE did not provide accurate and timely information on the logistics and mechanisms to follow for counting the votes. On the other hand, the TSE claims that the information was indeed provided to the participating parties.

At 10 o’clock on Sunday night, Arena announced that it was withdrawing from the scrutiny because the TSE was not guaranteeing ‘the conditions for a transparent process.’

Carlos García Saade, president of Arena, criticized the tables that would review the votes’ base by base in reality would not have any decision-making power to amend potential errors committed on February 4 by the JRV and that this made the count futile. Vamos and Nuestro Tiempo also criticized that they would not be allowed to reclassify the votes if they detected an error.

On Tuesday, February 6, in a closed-door meeting with representatives of political parties, TSE President Dora Martínez acknowledged the failure in the electoral process and insinuated that it might be due to a premeditated boycott.

An “irremediable crisis” 9 days before the election

As stated in the February 5 note, from the day before the election, the collegiate body was already discussing and acknowledging the enormous possibility that many things would go wrong on election day.

According to the letter, at a meeting on January 25, the alternate magistrates were “entrusted with supervising and trying to overcome the obstacles detected” in the simulations. But according to the alternate officials in their letters, at that time they already considered that the TSE was “out of time to solve” the detected problems.

In that first letter, the magistrates say that by January 25, they knew they were in an “irremediable crisis” that had already altered much of the General Election Plan (PLAGEL). This plan consists of 25 programs (or work axes) into which the electoral process organization is subdivided and which is considered the backbone of the entire organization. The crisis and the failures that were not remedied in the last days of January, according to the alternate magistrates, could only have one result: a crisis on election day.

The magistrates also detail that it was not until January 26, nine days before the elections, that the TSE convened the in-charges of the PLAGEL programs to hear if they had any difficulties or difficulties. According to the letter, at that meeting, the operating areas reported four main problems, one of which was “the crisis for the formation of members of the Voting Receiving Boards.”

As seen on election day, the way in which the 8,562 JRVs were integrated led to numerous complaints from political parties. By law, each table is integrated by a delegate from the four parties with the highest turnout in the last election, and the fifth seat is drawn among the remaining contending parties. According to the parties’ complaints, the ruling Nuevas Ideas party had monopolized the majority of positions by using legal trickery.

The other three problems that the Pagel chiefs exposed at the January 26 meeting were the lack of temporary staff for different programs, non-compliance with the regular working hours of the contracted personnel, and the lack of commitment of the staff to the electoral process.

The alternate officials complained to their colleagues that they were not timely informed of the string of problems detected by the Plagel program chiefs. And when they were finally informed, there was too little time left for the voting. “We cannot accept any responsibility for the problems that were presented to us belatedly and the consequences that were reflected on February 4,” the letter says.

They also complained that they never learned about the decisions and agreements made by a temporary body called “Election Coordinating Commission” in which, according to an administrative source of the TSE, the alternates did not participate but only principals. According to the source, the commission oversaw the necessary contracts for the electoral process, acquisitions of goods and services, and electoral organization of all units and Pagel programs.

The five principal magistrates of the TSE are Dora Martínez, magistrate president and proposed by the Gana party; Guillermo Wellman, magistrate proposed by Arena; Julio Olivo, magistrate proposed by the FMLN; Rubén Meléndez and Noel Orellana, proposed by the Supreme Court of Justice.

Doubts for March 3

In their second letter to the collegiate body, the alternates again demanded more communication about the decisions their principal colleagues were making. They asked that the necessary measures be taken “so that all the magistrates that make up this collegiate body are informed at all times of everything that happens in the development of the present electoral event and later.”

They also showed doubts about whether the team would work properly on March 3. They pointed out that the same team had been used in the 2021 election and had worked “perfectly,” which drew their attention to the failure of February 4. “It is necessary to determine what happened in this last election, so it should be questioned whether they were properly tested, whether any changes were made that prevented their proper functioning?”, officials wrote in their letter.

They also asked for improved training of JRV members and necessary provisions to guarantee timely payment to those who would have to work on March 3 at the electoral tables, as a way of incentivizing them. They suggest reviewing the system “regarding the database and contingency mechanisms.”

Apparently, a week before the election, the atmosphere of the collegiate body was one of division. And at the same time that the final count of the presidential vote was getting more and more entangled in the Hilton San Salvador hotel, the alternate officials decided to play a final card: pressuring for an “urgent meeting” with their colleagues of the collegiate body.

The meeting, according to a copy accessed by El Faro, would serve to make “pertinent and necessary decisions to move forward with the process of counting votes” that reflect “the opinion and position of all the magistrates who make up the TSE.”

But in the letter, the alternate magistrates hinted that everything done by the TSE had not been a joint action but a series of decisions taken only by the principals. “We clearly state that we are no longer in a position to accept decisions and actions that have not been legally and correctly issued by the plenary, as well as declarations and commitments that have not been legally taken and much less taken unilaterally.”

El Faro:ón-de-aceptar-decisiones-no-emanadas-de-forma-legal.htm

Magistrados suplentes: “Ya no estamos en posición de aceptar decisiones no emanadas de forma legal”

El organismo colegiado del Tribunal Supremo Electoral, compuesto por cinco magistrados propietarios y cinco suplentes, ha sufrido una ruptura a raíz del irregular proceso electoral que apenas el viernes —cinco días después de la elección— confirmó a Nayib Bukele como el ganador para que gobierne por cinco años más, a pesar de la prohibición constitucional explícita.

El Faro obtuvo copia de tres cartas que los magistrados suplentes enviaron a sus colegas propietarios del organismo colegiado durante la semana después de las elecciones del 4 de febrero. En la última de las notas, recibida por la secretaría general del TSE este domingo 11 de febrero al mediodía, cuatro de los cinco suplentes toman distancia de todas las decisiones y anuncios brindados por el TSE desde la noche del 4 de febrero cuando el sistema de transmisión preliminar de datos falló. En una de las cartas, sugieren que se han cometido acciones lejanas a la ‘forma legal’ y ‘correcta’. De forma ‘unilateral’.

En la carta, los magistrados suplentes aseguran: “ya no estamos en la posición de aceptar decisiones que no hayan sido emanadas de forma legal” ni tampoco “declaraciones y compromisos tomados unilateralmente”.

Los magistrados suplentes enviaron otras dos cartas: la primera de ellas, al día siguiente de la votación; y, la segunda, el jueves 8 de febrero, cuando se cumplían cuatro días sin resultados oficiales y el TSE batallaba en un hotel capitalino para inaugurar la jornada de conteo final de actas y papeletas de la elección presidencial. En ambas cartas, los suplentes reclamaron a sus colegas por la falta de información sobre las decisiones tomadas por los propietarios y también les pedían tomar las medidas necesarias para que la información sobre la ruta de acción fuera compartida entre los 10 magistrados.

En las cartas, los magistrados suplentes también hicieron un recuento de las anomalías que observaron en los días previos a la votación y por ello pidieron no ser responsabilizados por los fallos del domingo 4. “No podemos aceptar responsabilidad alguna sobre los problemas que nos fueron planteados extemporáneamente”, dice la carta del 5 de febrero, que insinúa que los únicos que sabían del panorama completo de cara a la elección eran los magistrados propietarios.

En sus notas al organismo colegiado, los suplentes también mostraron abiertas dudas sobre si el TSE estaría en capacidad de llevar a feliz término la elección del 3 de marzo que designará a los nuevos alcaldes y regidores de los 44 municipios del país.

La magistrada suplente Sonia Liévano confirmó la veracidad de los documentos pero agregó un matiz: “Lo que le puedo confirmar es que la nota fue atendida de inmediato y que se tomaron los acuerdos necesarios para estar de acuerdo en continuar trabajando juntos para sacar adelante el evento electoral”, dijo.

El magistrado propietario del TSE, Noel Orellana, también confirmó que el organismo colegiado había recibido tres cartas de fecha 5, 8 y 11 de febrero pero, a su juicio, las ideas plasmadas no representaban ningún tema de trascendencia.

Dos de las cartas fueron firmadas por los cinco magistrados suplentes: Marlon Harold Cornejo Ávalos, suplente del magistrado propuesto por Arena; Carmen Veraliz Velázquez, suplente del magistrado propuesto por el FMLN; René Abelardo Molina, suplente de la presidenta del TSE del partido Gana; María Blanca Paz Montalvo y Sonia Clementina Liévano, suplentes de los magistrados colocados por la Corte Suprema de Justicia. 

La última de las cartas, de fecha 11 de febrero, solo fue firmada por los últimos cuatro magistrados. Cornejo no aparece como firmante.

El domingo 11, además, el TSE instaló en el gimnasio Adolfo Pineda de San Salvador 300 mesas para contar voto por voto las papeletas de la elección legislativa, cuyo resultado aún es incierto debido a que el 4 de febrero menos del 1 % de las actas se lograron transmitir.

Este proceso también ha sido accidentado porque, por un lado, los partidos políticos como Arena, Vamos y Nuestro Tiempo aseguran que el TSE no brindó información certera y oportuna sobre la logística y mecanismo a seguir para el conteo de los votos. Por otro lado, el TSE asegura que la información sí se les entregó a los partidos participantes.

Hacia las 10 de la noche del domingo, Arena anunció que se retiraba del escrutinio porque el TSE no estaba garantizando ‘las condiciones de un proceso transparente’.

Carlos García Saade, presidente de Arena, criticó que las mesas que revisarían voto por voto en realidad no tendrían ningún poder de decisión para enmendar potenciales errores cometidos el 4 de febrero por las JRV y que eso volvía inútil el conteo. Vamos y Nuestro Tiempo también criticaron que no se les iba a permitir recalificar los votos si detectaban un error. 

El martes 6 de febrero, en una reunión a puertas cerradas con los representantes de los partidos políticos, la presidenta del TSE, Dora Martínez, reconoció el fracaso en el proceso electoral e insunuó que este podría deberse a un boicot premeditado.

Una “crisis irremediable” a 9 días de la elección

Según lo plasmado en la nota del 5 de febrero, desde el día antes de la elección el organismo colegiado ya dialogaba y ya reconocía la enorme posibilidad de que el día de los comicios muchas cosas salieran mal.

Según la misiva, en una reunión del 25 de enero, a los magistrados suplentes se les “encomendó supervisar y tratar de superar los obstáculos detectados” en los simulacros. Pero según dicen los funcionarios suplentes en sus cartas, en aquel momento ellos ya consideraban que el TSE estaba “fuera de tiempo para solventar” los problemas detectados.

En esa primera carta, los magistrados dicen que para el 25 de enero sabían que “estaban en una crisis irremediable” que ya había alterado buena parte del Plan General de Elecciones (PLAGEL). Ese plan consiste en 25 programas (o ejes de trabajo) en los cuales se subdivide la organización del proceso electoral y que se considera la columna vertebral de toda la organización. La crisis y los fallos que no se enmendaron en los últimos días de enero, según los magistrados suplentes, solo podía tener un resultado: una crisis el día de las votaciones.

Los magistrados también detallan que fue hasta el día 26 de enero, a nueve días de las elecciones, que el TSE convocó a los encargados de los programas del PLAGEL para escuchar si tenían inconvenientes o dificultades. Según la carta, en esa reunión, las áreas operativas informaron de cuatro problemas principales, entre ellas “la crisis para la conformación de miembros de las Juntas Receptoras de Votos”.

Como se vería en el día de la votación, la manera en la que se integraron las  8,562 JRV provocó abundantes quejas de los partidos políticos. Por ley, cada mesa queda integrada por un delegado de los cuatro partidos con mayor votación en la última elección y la quinta silla se rifa entre el resto de los partidos contendientes. Según las quejas de los partidos, el partido oficialista Nuevas Ideas había acaparado la mayoría de puestos valiéndose de argucias legales.

Los otros tres problemas que los jefes del Pagel expusieron en la reunión del 26 de enero fueron la falta de personal temporal para los diferentes programas, el incumplimiento de la jornada ordinaria de trabajo del personal contratado y la falta de compromiso del personal con el proceso electoral.

Los funcionarios suplentes reclamaron a sus colegas que no fueron informados oportunamente de ese rosario de problemas detectados por los jefes de programas del Plagel. Y que cuando por fin les informaron, ya faltaba demasiado poco para la votación. “No podemos aceptar responsabilidad alguna sobre los problemas que nos fueron planteados extemporáneamente y las consecuencias que se reflejaron el cuatro de febrero”, dice la carta.

También reclamaron que nunca se enteraron de las decisiones y acuerdos tomados por una instancia temporal denominada “Comisión Coordinadora de Elecciones” en la que, según una fuente administrativa del TSE, no participaban los suplentes sino solo propietarios. Según la fuente, la comisión supervisaba las contrataciones necesarias para el proceso electoral, la adquisiciones de bienes y servicios, y organización electoral de todas las unidades y los programas del Plagel.

Los cinco magistrados propietarios del TSE son Dora Martínez, magistrada presidenta y propuesta del partido Gana; Guillermo Wellman, magistrado propuesto por Arena; Julio Olivo, magistrado propuesto por el FMLN; Rubén Meléndez y Noel Orellana, propuestos por la Corte Superma de Justicia.

Dudas para el 3 de marzo

En su segunda carta al organismo colegiado, los suplentes volvieron a exigir más comunicación sobre las decisiones que estaban tomando sus colegas propietarios. Pedían que se tomaran “las medidas necesarias para que todos los magistrados que conforman este organismo colegiado estuvieran en todo momento informados de todo lo que acontezca en el desarrollo del presente evento electoral y posteriormente”.

También mostraron dudas sobre si el equipo funcionaría adecuadamente el 3 de marzo. Señalaban que el mismo equipo se había usado en la elección de 2021 y que había funcionado “perfectamente”, con lo cual les llamaba la atención el fallo del 4 de febrero. “Es necesario determinar qué sucedió en esta última elección por lo cual se debería cuestionar ¿se probaron debidamente? ¿se hicieron algunos cambios que impidieron su correcto funcionamiento?”, plasmaron en su carta los funcionarios.

También pedían que se mejorara la capacitación de los miembros de las JRV y que se tomaran las providencias necesarias para garantizar el pago a tiempo de los que tendrían que trabajar el 3 de marzo en las mesas electorales, como una manera de incentivarlos. Sugieren revisar el sistema “en cuanto a la base de datos y mecanismos de contingencia”.

Al parecer, a una semana de la elección, el ambiente del organismo colegiado era de división. Y al mismo tiempo que el escrutinio final de la votación presidencial se enredaba más y más en el hotel Hilton de San Salvador, los funcionarios suplentes decidieron jugar una última carta: presionar para una “reunión de urgencia” a sus colegas del organismo colegiado.

La reunión, según una copia a la que tuvo acceso El Faro, serviría para tomar decisiones “pertinentes y necesarias para seguir adelante con el proceso de conteo de votos” que reflejen “la opinión y posición de todos los magistrados que integran el TSE”.

Pero en la carta los magistrados suplentes dejaron entrever que todo lo actuado por el TSE en realidad no había sido una acción conjunta sino una serie de decisiones tomadas únicamente por los propietarios. “Manifestamos claramente que ya no estamos en la posición de aceptar decisiones y actuaciones que no hayan sido emanadas en forma legal y correcta del pleno, así como las declaraciones y compromisos que no hayan sido legalmente tomados y mucho menos tomados unilateralmente”.

El Faro:ón-de-aceptar-decisiones-no-emanadas-de-forma-legal.htm