Select Page

Nayib Bukele proclaimed himself the winner of the presidential and legislative elections on February 4, less than two hours after the polls closed, at the end of an election day full of anomalies and without reliable official results from the Supreme Electoral Tribunal (TSE).

At 6:54 pm, the Salvadoran president announced that “according to his numbers,” he would govern El Salvador outside the Constitution for five more years with 85% of the votes in his favor. “We have won the presidential election,” he wrote on social network X, while the manual counting of the presidential election in the country’s voting centers had not yet been completed, so the preliminary results transmission system could not broadcast partial data.

He announced the triumph of an election tailored to his liking, with his data, disregarding an electoral referee that, until 2 in the morning, confirmed anomalies in the system and ordered the resending of the records of the count carried out by each electoral table. In other words, the presidential and legislative elections have no official results.

When some receiving boards were just beginning to count the votes in the legislative elections, Bukele also assured that his numbers gave them another crushing victory: “a minimum of 58 out of 60 deputies of the Assembly” for the period 2024-2027.

Until Bukele’s tweet, there was no data on this other election. It was impossible. The voting boards had not even finished counting these results when Bukele was already assured control of the seats.

“The record in the entire democratic history of the world. See you at 9 pm in front of the National Palace. God bless El Salvador,” he concluded. Since the day before, the government had set up platforms in front of the National Palace and arranged speaker systems, screens, and pyrotechnic displays around it.

The TSE’s preliminary results portal was enabled shortly before 9:00 pm. Until 10:01 pm, it ensured a 31.49% vote count in the presidential elections. This data gave Bukele a distance of 1.1 million over the second-place candidate, FMLN’s Manuel Flores. That means an advantage of 82.98%. Or it meant. At 2 am, the TSE suspended the preliminary count and ordered a new issue of the manual records to the country’s receiving boards.

But four hours earlier, from the balcony of the National Palace in the historic center of the capital, Bukele told a cheering crowd that “the entire opposition together has been crushed.”

An unprecedented election

His self-proclamation, without official data, was just one of a series of anomalies that are based on his participation in these elections. In addition, his government used the state as an official propaganda apparatus financed with public funds, froze political debt funds that the opposition was seeking to finance their electoral campaigns, and irregularly redesigned this election and the country’s political map eight months earlier, reducing the number of deputies from 84 to 60, changing the way they are distributed, and altering the number of municipalities from 262 to 44. In the design of their election, a new voting system abroad was also included, in which the Supreme Electoral Tribunal allowed its delegates abroad to be appointed by Nuevas Ideas, as revealed by this medium on Saturday, February 3.

The anomalies in the vote counting system are just the latest in a string of irregularities never seen before in Salvadoran electoral history following the signing of peace in 1992. Until the last data entered in the preliminary system, the trend shown by the TSE suggested an unlikely 100% voter participation when the numbers have so far only been around 50%.

On social networks, electoral experts also began to point out that the numbers published by the TSE on the results portal showed inconsistencies and irregularities. The most serious was that the system was counting more than 1.5 million valid votes with only one-third of the records counted, a proportion higher than the possible universe of voters.

According to Carlos Palomo, computer expert of the Votante initiative, “there may have been a bad design in the database that is causing data that should not be added to be added.”

However, in the civic square, Bukele insisted with “his figures” that he has secured continuity in power for the thousands of supporters gathered there. His endorsement in the Executive, without official data, has also been applauded by the President of Mexico; Manuel Andrés López Obrador; China’s embassy in the country and the presidents of neighboring countries Bernardo Arévalo (Guatemala) and Xiomara Castro (Honduras).

Complete failure in the disclosure of preliminary results

14 minutes before Bukele announced surprises in his new term – “wait and see what we are going to do,” he said – some receiving boards continued to count the votes for the Legislative Assembly, and others began to report problems connecting to the TSE’s results transmission system to send the results of both elections.

The preliminary count system stalled before Bukele’s second self-proclamation, at 10:00 pm. At least two-thirds of the country’s JRVs had not been able to transmit the presidential election results from the polling stations. And less than one percent had done so for the Legislative Assembly election.

In the Metropolitan Area of ​​San Salvador, dozens of JRV reported that they could not connect to the system to enter the results because an error appeared on their screens.

Others reported that the system duplicated or tripled the values ​​entered in the system, and some said they had no internet to transmit or that it was too slow.

Focos verified that this problem occurred in some JRVs at the Evangelical University’s voting center. After four and a half hours struggling with the system, members of a board got up from the table in protest against the authorities, as no TSE representative responded to their support requests. Two Tribunal sources told Focos that the call center hired to solve the issues did not work “one hundred percent,” causing delays in assistance.

The protest and the viralization of the complaint from some board members worked. The Prosecutor’s Office intervened and allowed the activation of the contingency system, a procedure in which the records’ data is not uploaded to the cloud but stored in the computer provided by the TSE. Then, TSE officials are in charge of uploading the data to the system.

“We had to wait three more hours for them to respond. We had to restart the system and start counting again from presidents to deputies. And we are only at 30%,” said one of the JRV members. By then, it was already 2 in the morning.

Inside the Cristóbal Colón school voting center, the problems described by the JRV members were similar: the TSE internet, which the laptops they were given worked with, was not working, and none of the JRV members understood how to enter the deputies’ records into the system.

“Here, the person in charge of data entry tried to talk to the Tribunal, and the Tribunal never answered. In the end, they said that the system would work someday,” he added.

After 2 am, at the Walter A. Soudy school in Santa Tecla, the JRVs decided to fill out the legislative deputy scrutiny records by hand because the data transmission system began to fail after they filled out the president’s records.

“The system started to fail from 8:30. Our modem literally burned out, and we couldn’t do anything. The presidential records went through because the party representatives were pressuring. After that, they left us with the deputy ones, and coincidentally, everything fell apart,” said a JRV member.

Before the TSE declared the preliminary count system obsolete, FOCOS also verified at least three inconsistencies in the data uploaded by the JRVs, in which the record data did not match what was reflected in the digital system.

For example, in box 5557 of the Pbro. Salvador Castillo Solórzano Catholic School in Izalco, Sonsonate, the scanned record was JRV 0607 corresponding to the municipality of San Salvador Este, in San Salvador.

The same problem can be seen in box 3328 at the Julio César Maldonado Educational Complex, San Miguel, where they attach the record of JRV 6152 corresponding to the municipality of La Union Sur.

The third case corresponds to box 4219 at the Walter Thilo Deininger school in Antiguo Cuscatlán, which appears with the record of JRV 4622, corresponding to the municipality of La Libertad Sur.

Also, when looking at details by department and municipalities, the percentage of counted records showed zero, but the system displayed unbacked votes without scanned records.

And for the preliminary count of deputies, with less than one percent of the records, the last one registered at 10:00 pm, the website reported one million leftover ballots but did not report valid vote amounts.

“They were given 70 million dollars, conducted two simulations, and said everything was fine. It can’t be,” questioned Palomo.

Focos TV:

Bukele proclama su reelección inconstitucional en una jornada plagada de anomalías y sin resultados

Nayib Bukele se autoproclamó vencedor en las elecciones presidenciales y legislativas del 4 de febrero menos de dos horas después del cierre de urnas, al final de una jornada electoral plagada de anomalías y sin que existieran resultados oficiales confiables de parte del Tribunal Supremo Electoral (TSE). 

A las 6:54 de la noche, el presidente salvadoreño anunció que “según sus números” gobernará El Salvador fuera de la Constitución por cinco años más con un 85 % de los votos a su favor. “Hemos ganado la elección presidencial”, escribió en la red social X, mientras en los centros de votación del país aún no concluía el conteo manual de la votación presidencial, con lo cual el sistema de transmisión de resultados preliminares no podía difundir datos parciales. 

El triunfo de una elección a su medida lo anunció él, con sus datos, al margen de un árbitro electoral que hasta las 2 de la madrugada confirmó anomalías en el sistema y ordenó el reenvío de las actas del conteo realizado por cada mesa electoral. Es decir, las elecciones presidenciales y legislativas no tienen resultados oficiales. 

Cuando algunas juntas receptoras apenas iniciaban el conteo de los votos en las legislativas, Bukele también aseguró que sus números les daban otra aplastante victoria: “un mínimo de 58 de 60 diputados de la Asamblea” para el periodo 2024-2027.

Hasta el tuit de Bukele no existía ningún dato sobre esta otra elección. Era imposible. Las juntas receptoras de votos tampoco habían terminado de contabilizar esos resultados cuando Bukele ya se aseguraba el control de las curules.  

“El récord en toda la historia democrática del mundo. Nos vemos a las 9pm frente al Palacio Nacional. Dios bendiga a El Salvador”, cerró. Desde el día anterior, frente al Palacio Nacional el gobierno había levantado tarimas y en los contornos había dispuesto sistemas de parlantes, pantallas y de fuegos pirotécnicos.

El portal de resultados preliminares del TSE se habilitó poco antes de las 9:00 p.m.  Hasta las 10:01 de la noche, aseguraba un 31.49 % de votos escrutados en las elecciones presidenciales. Ese dato le daba a Bukele una distancia de 1.1 millones sobre el segundo lugar de la contienda, el candidato del FMLN Manuel Flores. Eso significa una ventaja de 82.98 %. O significaba. A las 2 de la madrugada, el TSE suspendió el conteo preliminar y ordenó una nueva emisión de las actas manuales a las juntas receptoras del país. 

Pero cuatro horas antes, desde el balcón del Palacio Nacional en el centro histórico capitalino, Bukele le dijo a una multitud que lo ovacionaba que “toda la oposición junta ha quedado pulverizada”.

Una elección inédita

Su autoproclamación, sin datos oficiales,  fue una más de un despliegue de anomalías que tienen a la base su participación en estos comicios. En la contienda, además, su Gobierno utilizó el Estado como un aparato de propaganda oficial financiado con fondos públicos; congeló los fondos de la deuda política, con la cual la oposición buscaba financiar sus campañas electorales; y rediseñó esta elección, y el mapa político del país de manera irregular ocho meses antes, al reducir las diputaciones de 84 a 60; cambiar la forma en la que estas se reparten y alterar el número de municipios de 262 a 44. En el diseño de su elección también se incluyó un novedoso sistema de votación en el exterior, en el que el Tribunal Supremo Electoral permitió que sus delegados en el extranjero fueran designados por Nuevas Ideas, como lo reveló este medio el sábado 3 de febrero. 

Las anomalías en el sistema de conteo de votos es apenas la última de un rosario de irregularidades nunca antes vista en la historia electoral salvadoreña tras la firma de la paz, en 1992. Hasta el último dato consignado por el sistema preliminar, la tendencia que arrojaba el TSE sugería una participación improbable del 100 % de los electores, cuando las cifras hasta ahora han rondado solo el 50 %. 

En las redes sociales, expertos electorales también comenzaron a señalar que los números que el TSE publicó en el portal de  resultados presentaban inconsistencias e irregularidades.  La más grave fue que el sistema contabilizaba más de 1.5 millones de votos válidos con solo un tercio de las actas escrutadas, una proporción superior al universo de votantes posible. 

Según Carlos Palomo, experto informático de la iniciativa Votante, “puede que haya existido un mal diseño en la base de datos  que está provocando que datos que no deberían sumarse, se estén sumando”.

En la plaza cívica, sin embargo, Bukele insistió con “sus cifras” que tiene asegurada la continuidad en el poder para los miles de simpatizantes ahí congregados. Su refrenda en el Ejecutivo, sin datos oficiales, ha sido aplaudida también por el presidente de México; Manuel Andrés López Obrador; la embajada de China en el país y los presidentes de los países vecinos Bernardo Arévalo (Guatemala) y Xiomara Castro (Honduras).

Fallo total en la divulgación de resultados preliminares

14 minutos antes de que Bukele anunciara que en su nueva gestión se verán sorpresas -“esperen lo que vamos a hacer”, dijo-  algunas juntas receptoras de votos continuaban contando los votos para la Asamblea Legislativa y otras comenzaban a reportar problemas para conectarse al sistema de transmisión de resultados del TSE para enviar los resultados de ambas elecciones. 

El sistema de escrutinio preliminar se paralizó antes de la segunda autoproclama de Bukele, a las 10:00 de la noche. Al menos dos tercios de las JRVs del país no habían podido transmitir los resultados presidenciales desde los centros de votación. Y menos del uno por ciento lo había hecho para la elección de la Asamblea Legislativa.

En el Área Metropolitana de San Salvador, decenas de JRV reportaron que no podían enlazarse con el sistema para digitar los resultados porque a continuación aparecía un error en sus pantallas. 

Otras reportaron que el sistema del duplicaba o triplicaba los valores digitados en el sistema y otras que no contaba con internet para hacer la transmisión o que este era muy lento. 

Focos comprobó que este problema se presentó en algunas JRV en el centro de votación de  la Universidad Evangélica. Después de cuatro horas y media batallando con el sistema, miembros de una junta se levantaron de la mesa en protesta con las autoridades, debido a que ningún representante del TSE respondía a sus solicitudes de apoyo. Dos fuentes del Tribunal dijeron a Focos que el call center contratado para resolver los problemas de las juntas no funcionó “al cien por ciento” y eso generó retrasos en la asistencia a las mismas. 

La protesta y la viralización de la denuncia de algunos miembros de la junta  funcionó. La Fiscalía intervino y permitió habilitar el sistema de contingencia, un procedimiento en el cual los datos de las actas no se suben a la nube, sino que se cargan a la memoria de la computadora proporcionada por el TSE. Luego, son encargados del TSE los encargados de subir los datos al sistema. 

“Tuvimos que esperar tres horas más para que nos dieran respuesta. Tuvimos que reiniciar el sistema y comenzar de nuevo el conteo desde presidentes hasta diputados. Y vamos por el 30% apenas”, indicó una de las integrantes de la JRV. Para ese momento ya eran las 2 de la mañana. 

Dentro del centro de votación ubicado en el colegio Cristóbal Colón, los problemas que describieron los miembros de las JRV eran similares: el internet del TSE con el que funcionan las laptop que les entregaron no funcionaba y ninguno de los miembros de las JRV entendía cómo digitar las actas de diputados en el sistema. 

“Aquí el encargado de la digitación trato la manera de hablar con el Tribunal y el Tribunal nunca le contestó. Al final dijeron que el sistema algún día iba a funcionar”, agregó.

Pasadas las 2 de la mañana, en el centro escolar Walter A. Soudy de Santa Tecla, las JRV decidieron llenar las actas de escrutinio de diputadas a mano porque el sistema transmisor de datos comenzó a fallar luego de que llenaron las actas de presidente. 

“El sistema comenzó a fallar desde las 8:30. A nosotros literal se nos quemó el módem, ya no pudimos hacer nada. Las actas de Presidencia se fueron todas porque los representantes de partidos estuvieron presionando. Después de eso nos dejaron con las de diputados y casualmente se cayó todo”, aseguró una integrante de la JRV.

Antes que el TSE declarara obsoleto el sistema de conteo preliminar, FOCOS también constató al menos tres inconsistencias en los datos subidos por las JRV,  en los cuales no se correspondían  los datos del acta con lo reflejado en el sistema digital.  

Por ejemplo, en la urna 5557 del Centro Escolar Católico Pbro. Salvador Castillo Solórzano en Izalco, Sonsonate, el acta escaneada era la JRV 0607 correspondiente al municipio de San Salvador Este, en San Salvador.

El mismo problema se puede evidenciar en la urna 3328 del Complejo Educativo Julio César Maldonado, de San Miguel, donde anexan el acta de la JRV 6152 correspondiente al municipio de la Unión Sur.

El tercer caso corresponde a la urna 4219 del centro escolar Walter Thilo Deininger en Antiguo Cuscatlán, que aparece con el acta de la JRV 4622, correspondiente al municipio de La Libertad Sur. 

También, al ver detalles por departamento y municipios, el porcentaje de actas escrutadas se mostraba a cero pero en el sistema aparecían votos sin respaldo de actas escaneadas.

Y para el caso del escrutinio preliminar de diputados, con menos del uno por ciento de las actas, el último que se registró a las 10:00 p.m., la página web reportaba un millón de papeletas sobrantes pero no reportaba cantidades de votos válidos. 

“Les dieron 70 millones de dólares, hicieron dos simulacros, y dijeron que todo estaba bien. No puede ser”, cuestionó Palomo.

Focos TV: