Select Page

“They can attack the two of us because they have videos and photos, but what about the other captives we met in jail who are still there? In the cell, there were Panamanians, Hondurans, Nicaraguans, people from all over Central America, a Canadian, people who had been in prison for more than six months,” says José Antonio Potes from his home in Valle del Cauca, Colombia, where he is grateful to be after spending three months detained in El Salvador, a country he went to for a better life but ended up arrested under the state of exception.

Potes and Manuel Castrillón, another Colombian arrested with him, spoke with LA PRENSA GRÁFICA about their time in prison and how Salvadoran authorities tried to convince them not to tell everything they had experienced and to change their version of what happened.

The 27-year-olds arrived in El Salvador in January of this year, motivated by the country’s use of dollars and international security improvement. “Before being in El Salvador, I was in Guatemala with my wife, but I went to San Salvador because there are dollars there and because of the publicity that it is now the safest country in the world. We knew that the country was going through its situation of change, but we have nothing to do with that; we were calm,” said Manuel, who was the first to arrive in El Salvador in early January.

On January 20, José joined him, with whom he had known for several years, and both settled in the Las Margaritas neighborhood of Soyapango, where a day later while shopping, they were arrested by soldiers who “saw them as suspicious.”

“We showed them our passports, told them we were legal. We showed them the stamps, but they called Immigration, and the Immigration officers arrived and mistreated us. They said that we were Colombian and therefore had drugs, which was not true,” added Manuel.

That same day they were taken to the Ilopango prison. “They took us to the holding cell, handed us over, and took our clothes off. They gave us their clothes, white shorts, a white T-shirt, shaved our heads, beat us, and told us always to walk bent over and with our hands on our necks,” recalled José.

Both say they were in cells packed with captives, with 300 or even 400 people in spaces meant for fewer than 200. They urinated and defecated in plastic buckets, and over time they were transferred to Jucuapa prison in Usulután, where the situation was similar.

It was only on February 13 that they managed to communicate with the Colombian Consulate in El Salvador. A consular representative told them over the phone that they already knew about their cases. Still, they could do nothing because investigations under the regime lasted a minimum of six months and a maximum of one year, so they only asked to notify their wives of what had happened.

“My wife told me that she looked for help in every possible way and that they wanted to report the news much earlier, but they were afraid and thought it could affect us. But when they saw that three months had passed and we were not released, they decided to speak out,” José recounted.

It was then that on April 16, Colombian digital news outlet Noticias Uno published their story. José’s story went viral on social media, and that’s when they began to receive different treatment from the authorities.


“The news came out on Sunday, April 16, and on Monday, April 17, they came to our cell and took us out. They told us to shave and clean ourselves up because we were free. Five trucks with many soldiers were waiting for us outside the prison, and we got scared, but Osiris Luna and David Cruz got out of one of them. They asked our shoe size, shirt, and pants size… we realized that (Luna) was someone important, and after 20 minutes they returned with new clothes and told us that our case had been a mistake,” José recalled about the day of their release.

Manuel said that they were immediately put into a truck, and on the way, they were asked to record some videos in which they had to “clarify what had happened.” “They told us we had to say that we were captured for immigration issues, not gang-related issues,” he recalled.

Later, they were housed in a hotel in the Miramonte neighborhood in San Salvador, where they claimed they were under surveillance. They were taken to buy more clothes at a shopping mall and to visit Surf City on the beaches of La Libertad, all paid for by Salvadoran authorities. There, the Presidential House’s communications staff and the Ministry of Security took several photos and videos. One of them went viral on social media days later and was used by social media accounts aligned with the government to deny that they had been in prison.

“There’s a woman who shares the video and says it’s from a month ago, but we were in prison a month ago. Let them show the records, and they will see that we were in cell 4 of the Jucuapa prison. President Bukele dares to share fake news just because we are telling the truth; it’s unfair that he discredits us like that. We have nothing against the president; we were talking about our situation,” said José.

The young men maintain that in the days following their release from Jucuapa prison, they were always transported by David Cruz, head of communications for the Ministry of Justice and Public Security, and William Chanta, of the Press Office of the Presidency of the Republic. LA PRENSA GRÁFICA contacted both through their mobile phones, but neither agreed to give statements. Cruz answered the call and asked to send the inquiry in writing, which was done, but he still did not want to comment. Meanwhile, Chanta did not answer calls or messages.

“They offered us jobs, a salary of $800 each, a motorcycle for each of us for transportation, they would pay our rent for 2-3 months, and they said they would bring our entire family to El Salvador. As my wife is from Guatemala, they picked her up at the border and took her to the hotel where I was,” Manuel recounted the authorities’ offers so they would not return to Colombia and accept changing their version of what happened.

Manuel has evidence and videos showing how the Presidential House and Ministry of Security staff transported his wife. Also, the day they took him and José to a place in El Congo, Santa Ana, where supposedly the house they could live in was located if they agreed to stay in the country.

“At the hotel, someone always wouldn’t let us leave alone. They always took us in their truck. We have the IDs from when they took us to Zacamil Hospital. They did all kinds of tests on us, checked everything because they were supposedly going to have us there,” added José.

After 13 days in the hotel, José and Manuel were contacted again by the Colombian Consulate, who told them they were worried about them because they had not received any reports about their situation. “The consul told us they feared we would disappear and wouldn’t let him review our file. Even the prison officials wanted to change our hotel so we wouldn’t talk to him,” José recounted. After that, they decided to seek help from the Consulate and return to their country.

“We are not against Bukele, but the president has to stand up and tell things as they are. We want them to show our records, stating where we were from January 21 to April 17, and they will see that we were only in prison,” concluded José.


“Nos prometieron cielo y tierra para que nos quedáramos”: colombianos capturados en régimen en El Salvador cuentan su versión

“Ellos nos pueden atacar a nosotros dos porque tienen videos y fotos, pero qué dirán de los otros capturados que conocimos en la cárcel y que siguen ahí. En la celda había panameños, hondureños, nicaragüenses, gente de toda Centroamérica, había un canadiense, gente que llevaba ya más de seis meses en prisión”, señala José Antonio Potes desde su vivienda, en Valle del Cauca, Colombia, donde agradece estar después de pasar tres meses detenido en El Salvador, país al que llegó para buscar una vida mejor pero donde terminó arrestado en el marco del régimen de excepción.

Potes y Manuel Castrillón, otro colombiano que estuvo arrestado junto a él, hablaron con LA PRENSA GRÁFICA para contar cómo vivieron su estancia en prisión y cómo las autoridades salvadoreñas intentaron convencerlos para que no contaran todo lo que habían vivido y que cambiaran la versión de lo sucedido.

Los jóvenes de 27 años llegaron a El Salvador en enero de este año, motivados porque en el país se paga en dólares y por la mejora en seguridad de la cual se habla a nivel internacional. “Antes de estar en El Salvador estaba en Guatemala con mi esposa, pero me fui a San Salvador porque allá hay dólares y por la publicidad que hay, de que ahora es el país más seguro del mundo. Nosotros sabíamos que el país pasa su propia situación de cambio, pero nosotros no tenemos nada que ver con eso, estábamos tranquilos”, relató Manuel, que fue el primero en llegar a El Salvador, a inicios de enero.

El 20 de enero se le sumó José, con quien se conocían desde hace varios años, y ambos se instalaron en la colonia Las Margaritas de Soyapango, donde un día después, mientras hacían unas compras, fueron arrestados por soldados que “los vieron sospechosos”.

“Nosotros les mostramos los pasaportes, les dijimos que estábamos legales. Les mostramos los sellos, pero llamaron a los de Migración y los de Migración llegaron y también nos trataron feo. Nos decían que éramos colombianos y por eso teníamos droga, lo cual no era cierto”, agregó Manuel.

Ese mismo día los llevaron al centro penal de Ilopango. “Nos llevan para la bartolina, nos entregan y nos quitan la ropa. Allá nos dan la ropa que ellos dan, una pantaloneta blanca, un buzo (camiseta) blanca, nos quitan el cabello, nos rapan, nos pegaron y nos dijeron que anduviéramos siempre inclinados y con las manos en el cuello”, recordó José.

Ambos dicen que estaban en celdas repletas de capturados, con 300 o incluso 400 personas en espacios que eran para menos de 200. Orinaban y defecaban en baldes plásticos y con el pasar de los días fueron trasladados al penal de Jucuapa, en Usulután, donde la situación era similar.

No fue hasta el 13 de febrero cuando lograron comunicarse con el Consulado de Colombia en El Salvador. Un representante consular les afirmó vía telefónica que ya sabían de sus casos, pero que no podían hacer nada porque las investigaciones en el régimen duraban un mínimo de seis meses y un máximo de un año, así que únicamente pidieron que notificaron de lo sucedido a sus esposas.

“Mi mujer me cuenta que ella buscó por todos los medios posibles ayuda y que querían dar la noticia desde mucho antes, pero que tenían miedo y pensaban que eso podía afectarnos. Pero al ver que llegaron los tres meses y no nos liberaban optaron por hablar”, narró José.

Fue así como el 16 de abril el medio digital colombiano Noticias Uno publicó su caso. La historia de José se viralizó en redes sociales y fue entonces cuando comenzaron a recibir un trato distinto de las autoridades.


“La noticia sale el domingo 16 de abril y el lunes 17 llegaron a nuestra celda y nos sacaron. Nos dijeron que nos rasuráramos, que nos limpiáramos porque ya estábamos libres. Afuera del penal nos estaban esperando cinco camionetas con muchos soldados y nos asustamos, pero de una de ellas se bajó el señor Osiris Luna y el señor David Cruz. Nos preguntaron cuánto calzamos, la talla de camisa y pantalón… nos dimos cuenta que (Luna) era alguien importante y a los 20 minutos vuelven con ropa nueva y nos dicen que lo de nosotros había sido un error”, recordó José sobre el día de su liberación.

Manuel dijo que inmediatamente los subieron a una camioneta y en el camino les pidieron que grabaran unos videos en los cuales tenían que “aclarar lo sucedido”. “Nos dijeron que teníamos que decir que fuimos capturados por un tema migratorio, no de pandillas”, recordó.

Luego los albergaron en un hotel de la colonia Miramonte, en San Salvador, donde afirman que los tenían vigilados. Los llevaron a comprar más ropa a un centro comercial y también los llevaron a visitar Surf City, en las playas de La Libertad, todo pagado por las autoridades salvadoreñas. Ahí fue donde personal de comunicaciones de Casa Presidencial y del Ministerio de Seguridad les tomaron varias fotos y videos. Uno de ellos se viralizó días después en redes sociales y fue ocupado por cuentas de redes sociales afines al oficialismo para desmentir que ellos habían estado presos.

“Hay una señora que comparte el video y dice que el video es de hace un mes, pero hace un mes nosotros estábamos en prisión. Que muestren el registro y verán que nosotros estábamos en la celda 4 de la cárcel de Jucuapa. El presidente Bukele se atreve a compartir una noticia falsa simplemente porque nosotros estamos diciendo la verdad, no es justo que nos desprestigie de esa manera. Nosotros no tenemos nada contra el presidente, simplemente estábamos contando nuestra situación”, señaló José.

Los jóvenes sostienen que los días posteriores a su salida del penal de Jucuapa fueron trasladados siempre por David Cruz, encargado de comunicaciones del Ministerio de Justicia y Seguridad Pública, y por William Chanta, de la Secretaría de Prensa de la Presidencia de la República. Ambos fueron contactados por LA PRENSA GRÁFICA a través de sus teléfonos móviles, pero ninguno accedió a dar declaraciones. Cruz respondió la llamada y pidió que se le enviara la consulta por escrito, lo cual se hizo, pero aún así no quiso opinar. Mientas que Chanta no respondió ni llamadas ni mensajes.

“Nos ofrecieron trabajo, un sueldo de $800 a cada uno, nos ofrecieron una moto para cada uno para transportarnos, nos iban a pagar un arrendo por 2-3 meses y nos dijeron que traerían a toda nuestra familia a El Salvador. Como mi esposa es de Guatemala la mandaron a traer en la frontera y la llevaron al hotel donde yo estaba”, contó Manuel, sobre los ofrecimientos que les hicieron las autoridades para que no se fueran a Colombia y aceptaran cambiar su versión de lo sucedido.

Manuel tiene pruebas, videos donde se aprecia como personal de Casa Presidencial y del Miniterio de Seguridad trasladaron a su esposa. También del día que lo llevaron a él y a José a un lugar en El Congo, Santa Ana, donde supuestamente estaba la vivienda en la que podrían vivir si aceptaban quedarse en el país.

“En el Hotel siempre había una persona que no nos dejaba salir solos. Ellos siempre nos andaban en su camioneta. Tenemos los carné de cuando nos llevaron al Hospital Zacamil. Nos hicieron exámenes de todo, nos revisaron de todo porque supuestamente nos iban a tener allá”, agregó José.

Tras 13 días hospedados en un hotel, José y Manuel fueron contactados nuevamente por el Consulado de Colombia y les dijeron que estaban preocupados por ellos porque no habían recibido ningún informe de su situación. “El consul nos dijo que temían que nos desaparecieran y que no dejaban que él revisara el expediente de nosotros. Incluso la gente de Penales nos quería cambiar de hotel para que no hablaramos con él”, relató José. Después de eso fue que decidieron pedir auxilio al Consulado y volver a su país.

“Nosotros no estamos en contra de Bukele, pero el presidente tiene que tener los pantalones bien puestos y decir las cosas como son. Lo que queremos es que muestren el registro de nosotros donde diga en qué parte estuvimos desde el 21 de enero al 17 de abril y verán que solo estuvimos en la cárcel”, concluyó José.