Select Page

Professor Alexander Eduvay Guzmán Molina, one of the first captured by the state of exception, agonized in a dark and damp cell for four days after the “welcome” beating given by police and guards on Wednesday, March 30, 2022, when he entered the Izalco prison.

In that darkness, he saw lights, many lights. He hallucinated that his mother and wife were by his side in the cell, then everything became blurry, and he believed he was in a desert until vomiting interrupted his delirium. “We only threw up a little, like saliva,” he recalls.

Guzmán, a teacher for 22 years, is not an exceptional case of the state of exception, as he witnessed. On the morning of April 30, 2022, the educator saw state agents also beat taxi driver Marco Tulio Castillo Reyes, 38, one of his four employees arrested on March 27, 2022, for illicit associations and who died two months later. The teacher, the taxi driver, and about 60 more people who entered the prison during the first week of the state of exception were beaten with batons, kicks, and punches by guards and police as part of their prison reception.

What Guzmán saw and experienced does not speak of a particularly violent day but of a pattern of abuse and state torture that occurred at least during the first weeks of the regime. Professor Guzmán’s testimony explains why the family of taxi driver Castillo Reyes received a body with evident signs of torture at the Forensic Medicine. In addition, the account adds details to reports prepared by organizations such as Humanitarian Legal Aid, Cristosal, and Human Rights Watch. “Police and soldiers have repeatedly committed abuses across the country and for several months,” says one of the reports. In its April 2023 report, Amnesty International denounced ‘the subjection to ill-treatment and torture’ of those captured during the regime ‘and the death of at least 132 people in state custody, who at the time of their death had not been found guilty of any crime’. According to that institution, ‘some people on probation reported witnessing guards and police killing prisoners by beatings, to make them ‘confess’ that they were part of a gang structure, or as the application of an alleged punishment.’ And there is more evidence: this medium reported that in August 2022, a businessman from the north of the country, after two months in prison, died. Like that of 35 other bodies that left prisons to that date, his body showed signs of torture.

El Faro obtained internal police documents that speak of an arbitrary arrest without evidence in the case of Professor Guzmán. In an internal email from the institution, the case appears alongside two others under the category “Cases in which there was an abuse of authority.”

Professor Guzmán is the deputy director of the Altavista school center and a taxi entrepreneur. On the morning of March 27, 2022, about nine hours after the Legislative Assembly approved the state of exception, he was captured on charges of illicit associations. The regime began after the negotiation breakdown between Nayib Bukele’s government and the gangs, which led to a massacre perpetrated by the Mara Salvatrucha-13. After spending three days locked up in the Ilopango holding cell, he was transferred to the Izalco prison, where he was greeted with a beating that left him dying. In December of last year, after interviewing 1,100 people affected by the state of exception, Human Rights Watch and Cristosal also concluded that state security forces have committed forced disappearances, torture, deaths in custody, and hundreds of arbitrary arrests.

The mistreatment began at four in the morning on March 30, 2022, when Professor Guzmán and about fifty other detainees left the holding cell. “Well handcuffed, they threw us into the high trucks that the police have, where one could not even move due to being handcuffed, but they forcefully pushed us. They took us piled up, with our hands behind our backs, and tightly squeezed from Ilopango to Izalco. That trip was tedious; I urinated in my boxer shorts… I remember I couldn’t stand my legs or my arms. Some cried others screamed: ‘Ah, I can’t take it anymore, sir agent!’ And the agents only offered kicks and beatings and indeed did so: they kicked and beat us. ‘Shut up!’ And with insults, swear words: ‘Damn! Son of a bitch, criminal! Look at you: you’re full from the extortion money you collected, damn.’ And horrible torture began.”

At mid-morning, the police truck parked outside the Izalco prison. All the detainees were in their boxer shorts, taken down, and made to kneel under the sun for two hours. Then they went through the X-ray scanning. “Completely naked, and they made us do push-ups. The body could no longer take it, and the legs no longer held. The whole body was shaking. 20 push-ups! And they began to count; they said it was to see if one had something introduced in the anus, and through the push-ups, one could expel it. Terrible, horrible! Something I thought I would never experience.” And it would get worse.

Then, the police and guards formed two lines in a space before entering the cells. With their body still trembling from the two hours of sun and push-ups, the detainees were forced to run squatting between the lines of uniformed and hooded men. “We began to walk in the middle of that line, running with our heads down, and the beating started by the guards and agents: kicks, baton strikes, punches all over the body, only the baton strikes whizzed ‘fush, fush, fush!’, the blows ‘pum, pum, pum!’… I had to pass in the middle, all, all of us who were in line, running. Some of us got hit more than others. From a kick they gave me in the right leg, they obstructed my thigh, and I fell bent over. And they began to beat me.” The beating ended when the police and guards got tired of kicking, punching, and hitting with the baton.

Professor Guzmán and the taxi driver agonized for four days. He didn’t eat then and said his employee didn’t either. They hallucinated. They vomited. They had a fever, bruises, and pain all over their bodies. No guard attended to the complaints of those dying men. “Marco Tulio told me: ‘Prof, how could I let them only beat you?’ Suddenly, we agonized for four days from the beating they gave us; we were in agony for four days with tremendous fevers and chills. And there, some young men, with the little dirty water that was at the bottom of an old pool in the cell, as they could with their hands, they reached and rubbed those of us who were delirious with fever and put water on our foreheads, on our bodies.”

The professor recovered from the beating, and in the following six months, he experienced severe human rights violations that he claims are an everyday occurrence inside prisons: guards who are hit with batons and spray cells with pepper gas, overcrowding, gang control inside the cells, corruption in the handling of packages that relatives bring to their detainees, and hunger as a state torture policy.

“I saw how they brought food to the cell; it was just a few taco tortillas smeared with blended beans. They would drop the little bit of tortilla in the cells through the bars, and we fell upon it like we were puppies, worse than the street animals. And the young men (gang members), the numbers, and the letters (members of Barrio 18 and MS-13) had control inside the cell, and they said: ‘one, for one tortilla; another, for another tortilla’… (some) managed to grab their tortilla smeared with beans, others, I saw how they licked the floor… The guards went around like thugs, moving through the corridors outside with their batons, balaclavas, weapons, and cans of gas, ready to spray gas. They didn’t hesitate to gas the cell! For God’s sake! For God’s sake! For God’s sake! I still… I still haven’t overcome the emotional, physical, and not to mention economic damage! They ruined my life!… Ugh… I still haven’t gotten up; I haven’t recovered.”

The professor was released on probation on September 22 of last year. Taxi driver Marco Tulio Castillo Reyes, who did not return home alive, died on May 28, 2022. When the family received the body, it had lacerations on the right shoulder, a wound with irregular edges, and bruises on the back. El Faro contacted one of the relatives, but they did not want to discuss the case. “We don’t want to stir this up. We’re going to leave it there; let God take care of it,” they responded to an interview request sent via an electronic messaging app.

A year ago, on June 4, 2022, after the taxi driver’s funeral, El Diario de Hoy published a note in which his family denounced that authorities did not allow the entry of medicine that the detainee took daily for hepatic cirrhosis he had been suffering from since 2021. They also reported that the body had clear signs of torture. “They mistreated him in prison like you wouldn’t believe. I have pictures we took at the Forensic Medicine where he is badly beaten on his back,” a sister told the journalists.

The beating that Professor Guzmán suffered and the brutal treatment that led to the death of taxi driver Castillo Reyes points to systematic torture in Salvadoran prisons. El Faro has documented this practice also in the Mariona prison. “When I got there, the guards were on the sides, side by side. And one was crouched down. They said that anyone who lifted their head would be hit. Since I was crouched down, they managed to hit me with the baton in the ribs and like a jab with the boot. Then, when I got there, I maybe walked two blocks hunched over, and they said: ‘Take off your clothes,’ and left us there with nothing. We had clothes that our family had taken to the police station, there they gave us dirty shorts, full of hair,” says Ramón, a young man captured by the Army, even though he had no gang tattoos, no criminal record, and was not registered as a gang member.

On April 27, 2022, El Faro requested an interview with the General Directorate of Penitentiaries through the communications unit. Still, we are waiting for a response, nor did we receive one in repeated previous requests related to the director of prisons and deputy minister of Security, Osiris Luna Meza. Among them: his private jet trip, the sale of 42,000 bags of food that were for those affected by the pandemic, the $278,000 spent on ghost supervisors, and the use of inmates to build a private beach ranch at Las Hojas beach. The official also refused to comment now when we requested an interview to address the allegations of torture in the penitentiaries he oversees.

Although the version held by Salvadoran authorities is that most deaths in prisons since the regime began are due to health problems detainees had, the leader of Nuevas Ideas in the Legislative Assembly, Christian Guevara, said in March of this year that most deaths were murders committed by inmates, which proved they had not arrested ‘kindergarten children.’ However, there is no public and official count of deaths in prisons, only independent reports from national and international organizations and those versions that some officials give in television interviews they choose to attend. By November 2022, nearly eight months into the regime, Minister of Security and Justice, Gustavo Villatoro, said there had been 90 deaths. Without delving into the causes of death, he described the situation as ‘normal,’ as ‘in every penitentiary system there is death.’

The ‘alleged’ collaborator

Professor Guzmán has worked in the Vista al Lago and Altavista schools for over twenty years and, in 2010, invested in taxis. “I wanted to start a business; even though I was a professional, I didn’t want to wait for my salary every month. I had three young daughters to feed, so I started renting vehicles.” After teaching classes, the professor began with one taxi that he drove in his spare time. Then, due to his job stability, he applied for and was granted loans from the Agricultural Development Bank, Bandesal, and Banco Hipotecario to buy 11 more vehicles over a decade.

Professor Guzmán rented out the vehicles and managed a taxi stand located on the main street of the Llano Verde neighborhood, opposite the Súper Selectos in Ilopango. Every weekend, he would come to collect the rental fee, and the morning of March 27, 2022, was no exception. At 10:30 a.m., three patrol cars with a dozen Tactical Operations Section (STO) police officers from Soyapango surrounded the taxi stand. They arrested the professor and four of his employees: Mario Hernández, Héctor Obdulio, José Valentín Rodríguez, and Marco Tulio Castillo Reyes, the taxi driver who would die in prison.

Officially, they were arrested because they helped gang members escape the police. The regime is characterized by any police officer or soldier being able to capture whomever they consider suspicious. The prosecution documents this newspaper has been able to obtain, as they are completely confidential in the courts, speak of weak accusations based on criteria such as a person showing ‘nervousness.’ The operation ended with five arrests, five seized vehicles, and the confiscation of 300 dollars that Professor Guzmán had collected from the car rentals. The educator was jailed, the cars were taken, and the 300 dollars disappeared. At the end of the police operation, the money was not submitted to the judge as evidence, as the family denounced it on social media.

A year after his arrest, Professor Guzmán finds the official reason for his detention illogical. “The police asked who was in charge of the taxi stand. Yes, good morning; my name is Alexander Guzmán. Oh, the teacher, they said, because they recognized me. The police station is at the entrance of San Bartolo, less than two blocks from where I had my business. They fully recognized me; for 10 or 12 years, I had been parked there.” The police said they had received a call alerting them to “a group of dubious origin” dedicated to moving “people of dubious origin.” “Please, we serve customers coming out of the Súper Selectos! We offer service to the neighborhood residents, and we are not detectives to know whom we are giving a ride to,” he replied.

The taxi stand is in an area controlled by the Mara Salvatrucha-13 gang, but far from being collaborators, the professor claims they were victims: they paid $150 in extortion every week. “We had to pay for them to let us work.”

The police reported in documents that Professor Guzmán and his employees were arrested for collaborating with the gang.

On April 27, El Faro requested an interview with the police authorities through the communications unit but has yet to receive a response. The same request and outcome were obtained from the Ministry of Security and Justice. It was also impossible to get information from the judicial file because it has total confidentiality, like thousands of other cases opened under the state of exception. However, thanks to the leak of thousands of official documents in possession of the transparency organization DDoSecrets, which received them from hackers calling themselves Guacamaya, this newspaper documented that there is no evidence linking Professor Guzmán to any gang, according to an internal investigation conducted by the police in May of last year.

The Control Unit opened the investigation after family members and coworkers denounced the “unfair” arrest of Professor Guzmán on social media and in La Prensa Gráfica. The unit assigned Sergeant Sigüenza and Corporal Escobar to review the documentation and interview police chiefs in Soyapango.

The head of the Specialized Operational Areas Department (DAEO) Soyapango delegation, Inspector Gilberto Morales Jiménez, said that Professor Guzmán was arrested “for knowing” that the vehicles working as Uber are registered in his name and “are used by gang members to move from one place to another when they have committed crimes or to commit them.” The officer’s “knowledge” is not recorded in any document. The Control Unit noted this: “He is unaware if Mr. Guzmán is profiled in any criminal structure, but in the inquiries, it is known that said taxis are used for that criminal activity.”

The internal investigation team requested a report from the Police Intelligence Section Soyapango Delegation, but this office had no data to link Professor Guzmán to the gangs. “He does not have a profile that incriminates Mr. Guzmán Molina as a member of criminal structures or linked to them.” The only thing the intelligence office found was a police record of previous dangerous driving of motor vehicles—nothing related to gangs.

Then, the Control Unit reviewed the arrest report and the interviews that an investigator conducted with the four arresting officers: González García, Álvarez Jiménez, Ramos Castro, and Alfaro Santos. One of the police officers said in the interview that they received the information and the order to make the arrests from the head of the STO of the Soyapango Delegation, Sub-Inspector Juan Antonio Jorge González.

Professor Guzmán has no criminal record related to gangs; there are no police follow-ups, photographs, or names of the gang members who supposedly used the vehicles to escape, according to the preliminary investigation. The only certainty in the police documents is that he was arrested because Sub-Inspector Jorge González had “the presumption of the commission of an alleged crime.”

These details are recorded in a Word document titled: Preliminary Inspection Diligence DP0131. This document was sent in an email on May 7, 2022, from the Metropolitan Control Unit to the Police Control and Analysis Unit. Attached to the email are eight other Word documents about alleged arbitrary detentions during the state of exception. Also attached to the email is a PowerPoint presentation summarizing each case.

In six cases, the police dismiss any improper police procedure, but three others follow a slide titled: “Cases in which there appears to have been an abuse of authority.” Professor Guzmán’s case is one of these cases.

The Control Unit’s preliminary report admits that Professor Guzmán was arrested based on a “presumption” and recommends the following to the head of the Soyapango Delegation: “Issue instructions to the police personnel under his command, that when carrying out detention procedures based on the provisions of Decree 333 State of Exception and its extension, they must comply with the requirements demanded by the applied criminal type.” The internal investigation does not explicitly state whether these requirements were violated in this case. The document also makes no reference to the $300 confiscated that was lost during the police operation.

Lights, cameras… repetition

One of the patterns the police repeat when arresting people without tattoos, criminal records, or any evidence of belonging to gangs is to group them with tattooed gang members, photograph them, and make the public believe they belong to the same group, according to testimonies documented by El Faro.

Professor Guzmán, for example, says that after his arrest, he was taken to the Ilopango jail cell and, under the scorching sun, taken to a basketball court to have his photo taken with about fifty strangers. He was barefoot and shirtless, only wearing boxers. “There were tattooed people, marked with numbers and letters, and they were placed in front to make it look like they were fighting against gangs. And all the others, civilians like me, were behind the formations. It was practically torture to be on a basketball court barefoot at two in the afternoon,” he says.

At the San Marcos delegation, south of San Salvador, something similar happened. According to Ramón, a young man on probation because of no connection with gangs was found at seven o’clock on the night of April 13, 2022; after his capture under the regime, the police photographed him next to gang members never seen in his life. “There were a bunch of tattooed people. They put them in front, and those of us who had nothing were put behind. They took photos of us. There were several of us, maybe 30.”

This script of the war against gangs was also repeated at the 911 facilities in Santa Ana on April 5, 2022. That day, the police forced bricklayer José Alfredo Grande Martínez to kneel with nine other people and accused him of being a “stop” (collaborator) of the gang. The police said that the bricklayer hid gang members in his house in the Emanuel community of Santa Ana and that at the time of his arrest, he was on the street with some gang members. Testimonies from relatives and an internal investigation by the police determined that this accusation was false.

However, bricklayer Grande Martínez was presented and photographed as part of a criminal structure, information the police spread on their official social media accounts. The family reported that among the detainees were unknown people who did not live in that community. “They put him with people we don’t know who they are. I’m afraid that my dad will go shopping at the market because he appeared in photos; they nicknamed him ‘El Gordo’ (The fat man),” said a relative during an interview last February.

After the photo sessions, the detainees returned to the overcrowded cells. “Sleeping on the floor is the worst, intertwined, piled up, with people on top. For a while, we stood up; we sat down. Another time we would lean on each other and lean on someone else. I don’t wish for anyone to live through that,” says the professor, who, after three days in these facilities, was transferred to the Izalco prison, where he received the beating that left him in agony for four days.

The Regime and the Vendetta

On March 27, 2022, minutes before his capture, Professor Guzmán observed strange behavior from one of his associates, the owner of four taxis. The associate’s vehicles were parked at the taxi stand, but minutes before the operation began, they started leaving for the Súper Selectos parking lot across from the taxi stand.

“Suddenly, I see this person start his vehicle and enter the parking lot. I found it very suspicious because he was watching the taxi stand and then going back in,” he recalls. The internal police investigation notes that the officers received information from Sub-Inspector Jorge González to execute the arrest. Still, the professor suspects that a taxi driver partner denounced him under the state of exception to remove him from the business.

On April 11, 2022, Professor Guzmán and 69 other people faced a hearing for the crime of illicit associations. The prosecution accused him of being part of a criminal group, mostly made up of people he did not know and who lived in places he did not frequent, such as the Las Margaritas neighborhood, which has been under the control of the Mara Salvatrucha-13 for decades. At the end of the virtual hearing, the professor told the judge that he had diabetes and hypertension. He did not mention the beating he received in the Izalco prison. The judge replied that he was sorry for his ailments, but the decision confirming the detention was for everyone.

Seven days later, due to the lack of medication, the aftereffects of the beating, diabetes, and hypertension, the professor became seriously ill and lost consciousness in his cell. It was April 18, 2022, and when he woke up, he was in the clinic at the Izalco prison. Four days later, he was transferred to Quezaltepeque.

Professor Guzmán says that in this Quezaltepeque prison, the treatment improved slightly because they were given two meals a day, used pants and a shirt, and even allowed the luxury of praying. The two meals consisted of macaroni and rice. The next day, macaroni and rice. And so on every day. When the professor entered the penitentiary system, he weighed 220 pounds, and when he left, he had dropped to 120. “I was a corpse,” he recalls.

On Teacher’s Day 2022, the professor was in Quezaltepeque prison, incommunicado and malnourished. Still, his ninth-grade students wrote him the following message on social media: ‘Thank you very much for being the best teacher at the school, for being a teacher, a friend, and support for all of us. Unfortunately, today it will be marked that you cannot celebrate, but in that hell where you are held unjustly, know that we have great affection for you.’

After five months in Quezaltepeque, on September 8, 2022, he was transferred to El Penalón in Santa Ana, where he could finally see the sky from the prison yard and remembered, with tears, having eaten fruits and a chicken leg. On September 22, a judge granted him probation, and he returned to his home and job at the Altavista school, where he resumed his position as assistant principal.

On September 22, 2022, Professor Guzmán was released on probation, and his life seemed to be returning to normal, but on March 22, 2023, the prosecution issued a new arrest warrant against him. The police arrived at the Altavista school, handcuffed him, and took him back to a holding cell for five days. They accuse him of the crime of illegal limitation of freedom of movement because someone accused him of having ties with a gang and having threatened them with death to leave the taxi stand in the Llano Verde neighborhood.

The alleged victim’s account has compelling inconsistencies. For example, the complaint states that in August 2022, Professor Guzmán demanded a $300 “rent” payment not to threaten his life. However, at that time, the professor was detained in Quezaltepeque, incommunicado, due to the state of exception. At the end of last month’s hearing, the Ilopango Peace Court granted the defendant probation once again: he must sign a control book every 15 days until a second hearing takes place in three months.

El Faro:

Un profesor padeció las torturas sistemáticas en las cárceles durante el régimen

El profesor Alexander Eduvay Guzmán Molina, uno de los primeros capturados por el régimen de excepción, agonizó en una celda oscura y húmeda durante cuatro días, tras la paliza de “bienvenida” que policías y custodios le dieron el miércoles 30 de marzo de 2022, cuando entró al penal de Izalco.

En esa oscuridad vio luces, muchas luces. Alucinaba que su madre y su esposa estaban a su lado en la celda, luego todo se le volvió borroso y creyó estar en un desierto hasta que el vómito le interrumpió el delirio. “Sólo echábamos una liguilla, como saliva”, recuerda.

Guzmán, profesor desde hace 22 años, no es un caso excepcional del régimen de excepción, como él atestiguó. La mañana del 30 de abril de 2022, el educador vio a agentes del Estado vapulear también al taxista Marco Tulio Castillo Reyes, de 38 años, uno de sus cuatro empleados arrestados el 27 de marzo de 2022 por agrupaciones ilícitas y que falleció dos meses después. El profesor, el taxista y unas 60 personas más que entraron al penal durante la primera semana del régimen de excepción recibieron macanazos, patadas y puñetazos de parte de los custodios y policías, como parte de su recibimiento carcelario.

Lo que Guzmán vio y vivió no habla de una jornada particularmente violenta, sino de un patrón de maltrato s y tortura estatal ocurrida al menos durante las primeras semanas del régimen. El testimonio del profesor Guzmán explica por qué la familia del taxista Castillo Reyes recibió un cadáver con evidentes signos de tortura en Medicina Legal. Además, el relato agrega detalles a informes que han elaborado organizaciones como Socorro Jurídico Humanitario, Cristosal y Human Rights Watch. “Policías y soldados han cometido abusos de forma reiterada, en todo el país, y durante varios meses”, dice uno de los informes. En su reporte de abril de 2023, Amnistía Internacional denunció ‘el sometimiento a malos tratos y tortura’ a los capturados durante el régimen, ‘y la muerte de al menos 132 personas bajo custodia del Estado, quienes al momento de su muerte no habían sido declarados culpables de ningún delito’. Según esa institución, ‘algunas personas en libertad condicional relataron haber presenciado custodios y policías matando a presos a golpizas, con la intención de que ‘confesaran’ que eran parte de una estructura pandilleril, o como la aplicación de un supuesto castigo’. Y hay más evidencia: este medio reportó que en agosto de 2022, un empresario del norte del país, tras dos meses en prisión, murió. Su cadáver, como el de otros 35 cuerpos que salieron de prisiones a esa fecha, mostraba signos de tortura. 

El Faro obtuvo documentos internos de la Policía que hablan de una detención arbitraria y sin pruebas en el caso del profesor Guzmán. En un correo interno de la institución, el caso aparece junto a otros dos bajo la categoría “Casos en los que al parecer hubo abuso de autoridad”.

El profesor Guzmán es subdirector del centro escolar Altavista y empresario de taxis. La mañana del 27 de marzo de 2022, unas nueve horas después de que la Asamblea Legislativa aprobara el régimen de excepción, él fue capturado bajo cargos de agrupaciones ilícitas. El régimen inició tras la ruptura de la negociación del gobierno de Nayib Bukele con las pandillas, que derivó en una masacre perpetrada por la Mara Salvatrucha-13. Después de estar tres días encerrado en la bartolina de Ilopango fue trasladado al penal de Izalco, donde fue recibido con la paliza que lo dejó moribundo. En diciembre del año pasado, tras entrevistar a 1,100 personas afectadas por el régimen de excepción, también Human Rights Watch y Cristosal concluyeron que las fuerzas de seguridad del Estado han cometido desapariciones forzadas, torturas, muertes bajo custodia y cientos de detenciones arbitrarias.

El maltrato comenzó a las cuatro de la mañana del 30 de marzo de 2022, cuando el profesor Guzmán y medio centenar de detenidos más salieron de la bartolina. “Bien esposados nos avientan a unos camiones altos que tiene la Policía, donde uno podía ni siquiera moverse por andar esposado, pero ellos a la fuerza lo empujaban a uno. Nos llevaron amontonados, con las manos hacia atrás y bien prensados desde Ilopango hasta Izalco. Ese viaje fue tedioso, me oriné en el bóxer… Recuerdo, no aguantaba mis piernas, mis brazos. Unos lloraban, otros gritaban: ¡ay, no aguanto, señor agente! Y los agentes sólo ofrecían patadas y garrotazos y en efecto lo hacían: metían patadas y garrotazos. ‘¡Te callás!’ Y con los insultos, las malas palabras: ‘¡Maldito!, ¡Hijo de puta, delincuente! Mirá como estás: bien hartado estás de la renta que cobrabas, maldito’. Y empezó una tortura horrible”.

A media mañana, el camión policial se estacionó en las afueras del penal de Izalco. Todos los detenidos estaban en bóxer, los bajaron y los hincaron bajo el sol durante dos horas. Luego, pasaron al escaneo de rayos X. “Completamente desnudos y nos ponen a hacer flexiones. El cuerpo ya no aguantaba, las piernas ya no daban. Temblaba todo el cuerpo ¡20 flexiones! Y empezaban a contar, decían que para ver si uno llevaba algo introducido en el ano y a través de las flexiones lo podía expulsar uno ¡Terrible, horrible! Algo que pensé que nunca iba a vivir”. Y aún empeoraría.

Luego, los policías y custodios se formaron en dos filas, en un espacio anterior a la entrada a las celdas. Con el cuerpo aún tembloroso por las dos horas de sol y las flexiones, los detenidos fueron obligados a correr en cuclillas entre las filas de hombres uniformados y encapuchados. “Empezamos a caminar en medio de esa fila, a correr con la cabeza agachada y empezó el golpeo por parte de los custodios y los agentes: patadas, garrotazos, puñetazos por todas partes del cuerpo, solo zumbaban los garrotazos ¡fush, fush, fush!, los macanazos ¡pum, pum, pum!.. yo tenía que pasar en medio, todos, todos los que íbamos en fila, corriendo. A unos nos cayó más que otros, De una patada que me pegaron en la la pierna derecha, pues me obstruyeron el muslo y caí doblado. Y empezaron a golpearme”. La vapuleada terminó cuando policías y custodios se cansaron de lanzar patadas, puñetazos y de pegar con la macana.

El profesor Guzmán y el taxista estuvieron agonizando cuatro días. No comió durante ese tiempo y dice que su empleado tampoco. Deliraban. Vomitaban. Tenían fiebre, moretones y dolor en todo el cuerpo. Ningún custodio atendió las quejas de aquellos hombres moribundos. “Marco Tulio me dijo: profe, ¿cómo iba a dejar que sólo a usted le cayera? De repente, pues, agonizamos cuatro días de la golpiza que nos dieron, estuvimos agonizando cuatro días con tremendas fiebres, con tremendos fríos. Y ahí, pues, algunos muchachos, de la poca agua sucia que había al fondo de una pila vieja en la celda, pues como podían con sus manos llegaban y nos frotaban a los que estábamos delirando de la fiebre y nos ponían agua en la frente, en el cuerpo”.

El profesor se recuperó de la golpiza y en los siguientes seis meses vivió en primera persona graves violaciones a los derechos humanos que asegura son el pan de cada día dentro de las cárceles: custodios que dan macanazos y rocían con gas pimienta las celdas, el hacinamiento, el control de las pandillas dentro de las celdas, la corrupción en el manejo de los paquetes que familiares llevan a sus detenidos y el hambre como una política de tortura del Estado. 

“Vi cómo llevaban el alimento a la celda, eran unos pocos de tortilla de taco, untadas de frijoles licuados. Llegaban a dejar el poco de tortilla tirada ahí en las celdas por las rejas, y caímos como que éramos perritos, peor que los animalitos de la calle. Y los muchachos (pandilleros), los números y las letras (miembros del Barrio 18 y la MS-13) tenían el control dentro de la celda y ellos decían: ‘uno, por una tortilla; otro, por otra tortilla’… (algunos) alcanzaban a agarrar su tortilla untada de frijol, algotros (sic), yo veía cómo lamían el suelo… Los custodios andaban como matones moviéndose en los pasillos, afuera con sus garrotes, con sus gorros navarones, con sus armas, con sus botes de gas, listos para rociar gas. ¡No amagaban el gas en la celda! ¡Por Dios! ¡Por Dios! ¡Por Dios! Aún… aún no supero el daño emocional, físico y ni hablar de lo económico ¡Me arruinaron la vida!… Uf…Aún no me levanto, no me repongo”.

El profesor recuperó su libertad condicional el 22 de septiembre del año pasado. Quien no regresó con vida a su casa fue el taxista Marco Tulio Castillo Reyes, quien falleció el 28 de mayo de 2022. Cuando la familia recibió el cadáver, tenía laceraciones en el hombro derecho, una herida de bordes irregulares y hematomas en la espalda. El Faro contactó a uno de los familiares, pero no quiso hablar sobre el caso. “No queremos remover esto. Vamos a dejar esto ahí, que Dios se encargue”, respondió ante una solicitud de entrevista enviada por una aplicación de mensajería electrónica.

Hace un año, el cuatro de junio de 2022, después del funeral del taxista, El Diario de Hoy publicó una nota en que su familia denunciaba que las autoridades no permitieron el ingreso de medicina que el detenido tomaba a diario por una cirrosis hepática que padecía desde el 2021. Además, denunciaron que el cadáver tenía evidentes signos de tortura. “Me lo maltrataron en el penal como no tiene idea. Traigo fotos que le tomamos en Medicina Legal donde él viene bien golpeado en la espalda”, dijo una hermana a los periodistas.

La paliza que sufrió el profesor Guzmán y la vapuleada que llevó hasta la muerte al taxista Castillo Reyes apuntan a torturas sistemáticas en las cárceles salvadoreñas. El Faro ha documentado esta práctica también en el penal de Mariona. “Llegando ahí, estaban los custodios a los lados, lado a lado. Y uno agachado. Dijeron que al que levantara la cabeza le iban a dar. Como estaba agachado, me alcanzaron a pegar con el garrote en la costilla y como un puntón con la bota. Después, llegando ahí, dos cuadras quizás se camina acurrucado, y nos dijo: ‘sáquense la ropa’, y nos dejaron así sin nada. Llevábamos ropa que la familia nos llevó a la delegación, ahí nos dieron un short todo sucio, lleno de pelos”, cuenta Ramón, un joven capturado por el Ejército, pese a que no tenía tatuajes de pandillas, no tenía antecedentes penales ni estaba fichado como pandillero.

El 27 de abril de 2022, El Faro pidió una entrevista por medio de la unidad de comunicaciones a la Dirección General de Centros Penales, pero no se obtuvo respuesta, como tampoco la obtuvimos en reiteradas solicitudes anteriores a publicaciones relacionadas al director de penales y viceministro de Seguridad, Osiris Luna Meza. Entre ellas: su viaje en jet privado, la venta de 42,000 sacos de alimentos que eran para los afectados de la pandemia, los $278,000 que gastó en supervisores fantasmas y el uso de reos para construir un rancho privado en la playa Las Hojas. El funcionario tampoco quiso pronunciarse ahora, cuando le solicitamos una entrevista para abordar las denuncias sobre torturas en los centros penales que dirige.

Aunque la versión sostenida por las autoridades salvadoreñas es que la mayoría de muertes en penales desde que inició el régimen se deben a problemas de salud que acarreaban los detenidos, el jefe de Nuevas Ideas en la Asamblea Legislativa, Christian Guevara, dijo en marzo de este año que la mayoría de muertes eran asesinatos perpetrados por reos, lo que demostraba que no habían arrestado a ‘niños de kínder’. Sin embargo, no hay un conteo público y oficial de muertes en las cárceles, sino solo informes independientes de organizaciones nacionales e internacionales y aquellas versiones que dan algunos funcionarios en entrevistas televisivas a las que deciden asistir. Para noviembre de 2022, a casi ocho meses de iniciado el régimen, el ministro de Seguridad y Justicia, Gustavo Villatoro, dijo que iban 90 muertos. Sin profundizar en las causas de muerte, calificó la situación de ‘normal’, pues ‘en todo sistema penitenciario hay muerte’.

El ‘presunto’ colaborador

El profesor Guzmán ha trabajado en las escuelas de Vista al Lago y Altavista durante más de veinte años y en el 2010 invirtió en taxis. “Quería emprender en un negocio, pese a ser profesional no quería estar esperando mi salario al mes. Tenía tres hijas pequeñas que alimentar y debido a eso es que decidí emprender en el arrendamiento de vehículos”. El profesor comenzó con un taxi que manejaba en sus horas libres, después de impartir clases. Luego, por su estabilidad laboral, pidió y le dieron créditos en el Banco de Fomento Agropecuario, Bandesal y Banco Hipotecario para comprar otros 11 vehículos, a lo largo de una década.

El profesor Guzmán alquilaba los vehículos y administraba un punto de taxis ubicado en la calle principal de la colonia Llano Verde, frente al Súper Selectos, en Ilopango. Todos los fines de semana, llegaba a recoger la cuota del alquiler y aquella mañana del 27 de marzo de 2022 no fue la excepción. A las 10:30 de la mañana, tres patrullas con una decena de policías del Sección Táctica Operativa (STO) de Soyapango rodearon el punto de taxis y capturaron al profesor y cuatro de sus empleados: Mario Hernández, Héctor Obdulio, José Valentín Rodríguez y Marco Tulio Castillo Reyes, el taxista que moriría en prisión.

Oficialmente, ellos fueron capturados porque ayudaban a los pandilleros a escapar de la Policía. El régimen se caracteriza porque cualquier policía o soldado puede apresar a quien considere sospechoso. Los documentos fiscales que este periódico ha podido conseguir, pues tienen reserva total en los juzgados, hablan de acusaciones pírricas basadas en criterios como que una persona haya mostrado ‘nerviosismo’. El operativo terminó con cinco arrestos, cinco vehículos decomisados y la incautación de 300 dólares que el profesor Guzmán había recogido del alquiler de los carros. El educador fue encarcelado, los carros fueron decomisados y los 300 dólares desaparecieron. Al finalizar el operativo policial, el dinero no fue remitido al juez como evidencia, según denunció la familia en redes sociales.

Un año después de su captura, al profesor Guzmán le parece ilógica la razón oficial de su detención. “Los policías preguntaron quién era el responsable del punto. Sí, buenos días, mi nombre es Alexander Guzmán. Ah, el profe, me dijeron porque me identificaban. La delegación de la Policía está en la entrada de San Bartolo, a menos de dos cuadras donde tenía mi negocio. Me identificaban completamente, durante 10 o 12 años había estado estacionado ahí”. Los policías dijeron que habían recibido una llamada que los alertaba de “un grupo de dudosa procedencia” que se dedicaba a mover “gente de dudosa procedencia”. “¡Por favor, aquí le damos servicio a los clientes que salen del Súper Selectos! Le ofrecemos servicio a los vecinos de la colonia y no somos detectives para saber a quién le hacemos el viaje”, respondió.

El punto de taxis está en una zona que controlaba la Mara Salvatrucha-13, pero lejos de ser colaboradores, el profesor asegura que eran víctimas: cada semana pagaban 150 dólares de extorsión. “Había que pagar para que nos dieran permiso de trabajar”.

La Policía consignó en documentos que el profesor Guzmán y sus empleados fueron detenidos por colaborar con la pandilla.

El pasado 27 de abril, El Faro solicitó por medio de la unidad de comunicaciones una entrevista con las autoridades policiales, pero no se obtuvo respuesta. La misma gestión y el mismo resultado se obtuvo de una petición al Ministerio de Seguridad y Justicia. Tampoco se logró obtener información del expediente judicial porque tiene reserva total, al igual que otros miles de casos abiertos por el régimen de excepción. Sin embargo, gracias a la filtración de miles de documentos oficiales en poder de la organización de transparencia DDoSecrets, que los recibió de unos hackers que se autodenominan Guacamaya, este periódico documentó que no hay pruebas que vinculen al profesor Guzmán con alguna pandilla, según una investigación interna que hizo la Policía en mayo del año pasado.

La Unidad de Control abrió la investigación luego que familiares y compañeros de trabajo denunciaron en redes sociales y en La Prensa Gráfica la captura “injusta” del profesor Guzmán. La unidad asignó al sargento Sigüenza y al cabo Escobar para revisar la documentación y entrevistar a jefes policiales en Soyapango.

El jefe del Departamento de Áreas Especializadas Operativas (DAEO) delegación Soyapango, inspector Gilberto Morales Jiménez, dijo que el profesor Guzmán fue capturado “por tener conocimiento” que los vehículos que trabajan como Uber están registrados a su nombre y “son utilizados por miembros de pandillas para trasladarse de un lugar a otro cuando han cometido delitos o para cometerlos”. El “conocimiento” del oficial no consta en ningún documento. Así lo consignó la Unidad de Control: “desconoce si el señor Guzmán está perfilado en alguna estructura delincuencial, pero en las indagaciones se conoce que dichos taxis se utilizan para esa actividad delictiva”.

Los encargados de la investigación interna pidieron un informe a la Sección de Inteligencia Policial Delegación Soyapango, pero esta oficina no tenía ningún dato para relacionar al profesor Guzmán con las pandillas. “No posee perfil que incrimine al señor Guzmán Molina como miembro de estructuras criminales ni vinculado a las mismas”. Lo único que la oficina de inteligencia encontró fue una ficha policial de antecedentes por conducción peligrosa de vehículos automotores. Nada relacionado a pandillas.

Luego, la Unidad de Control revisó el acta de captura y las entrevistas que un investigador realizó a los cuatro agentes captores: González García, Álvarez Jiménez, Ramos Castro y Alfaro Santos. Uno de los policías dijo en la entrevista que recibieron la información y la orden de realizar las capturas por parte del jefe de la STO de la Delegación de Soyapango, el subinspector Juan Antonio Jorge González.

El profesor Guzmán no tiene antecedentes de delitos relacionados a pandillas, no hay seguimientos policiales ni fotografía ni nombres de los pandilleros que supuestamente usaban los vehículos para escapar, según la diligencia preliminar. La única certeza en los documentos policiales es que fue capturado porque el subinspector Jorge González tuvo “la presunción del cometimiento de un supuesto delito”.

Estos detalles están consignados en un documento Word titulado: Diligencia preliminar de inspección DP0131. Este documento fue enviado en un correo electrónico el siete de mayo de 2022 desde la Unidad de Control Metropolitana hacia la Unidad de Control de Análisis de la Policía. En el correo electrónico están anexados otros ocho documentos Word sobre supuestas detenciones arbitrarias durante el régimen de excepción. En el correo electrónico también está anexada una presentación Power Point que resume cada caso.

En seis casos, la Policía descarta un mal procedimiento policial, pero otros tres están después de una lámina titulada: “Casos en los que al parecer hubo abuso de autoridad”. El del profesor Guzmán es uno de estos casos.

El informe preliminar de la Unidad de Control admite que el profesor Guzmán fue capturado por una “presunción” y recomienda al jefe de la Delegación de Soyapango lo siguiente: “emita instrucciones al personal policial bajo mando, que al momento de realizar procedimientos de detenciones con base a lo establecido en el Decreto 333 Régimen de Excepción y su prórroga, deberán cumplir con los requisitos que exige el tipo penal aplicado”. La investigación interna no es explícita en decir si esos requisitos se incumplieron en el caso. El documento tampoco hace ninguna referencia a los 300 dólares decomisados que se perdieron durante el operativo policial.

Luces, cámaras… repetición

Uno de los patrones que repite la Policía cuando captura a personas que no tienen tatuajes, antecedentes penales o alguna prueba de pertenecer a pandillas es juntarlos con pandilleros tatuados, fotografiarlos y hacer creer a la opinión pública que pertenecen al mismo grupo, según testimonios documentados por El Faro.

El profesor Guzmán, por ejemplo, cuenta que luego de la captura fue remitido a la bartolina de Ilopango y, bajo pleno sol, lo sacaron a una cancha de baloncesto para tomarle fotos junto a medio centenar de desconocidos. Estaba descalzo y sin camisa, sólo en bóxer. “Había gente tatuada, manchada con números y con letras, y las ponían al frente para hacer creer que estaban contra las pandillas. Y todos los demás, civiles como mi persona, estaban detrás de las formaciones. Prácticamente como una tortura estar en una cancha de basquet descalzo a las dos de la tarde”, cuenta.

En la delegación de San Marcos, al sur de San Salvador, ocurrió algo parecido. Según cuenta Ramón, un joven que goza de libertad condicional porque no le encontraron nexo con las pandillas, a las siete de la noche del 13 de abril de 2022, luego de su captura bajo el régimen, la Policía lo fotografió al lado de pandilleros que nunca había visto en su vida. “Había un montón de tatuados. A ellos los pusieron adelante y, así como nosotros que no teníamos nada, nos pusieron atrás. Nos tomaron fotos. Éramos varios, unos 30 quizás”.

Este guión de la guerra contra las pandillas también se repitió en las instalaciones del 911 de Santa Ana, el cinco de abril de 2022. Ese día, la policía hincó al albañil José Alfredo Grande Martínez junto a nueve personas más y lo acusó de ser un “paro” (colaborador) de la pandilla. La Policía dijo que el albañil escondía pandilleros en su casa, ubicada en la comunidad Emanuel de Santa Ana y que al momento de su detención estaba en la calle con unos pandilleros. Los testimonios de los familiares y una investigación interna de la misma Policía determinaron que esa acusación es falsa.

Sin embargo, el albañil Grande Martínez fue presentado y fotografiado como parte de una estructura delictiva, información que la Policía difundió en sus cuentas oficiales de redes sociales. La familia denunció que entre los detenidos estaban personas desconocidas que no viven en esa comunidad. “Lo pusieron con gente que no sabemos quiénes son. Me da miedo que mi papá vaya a comprar al mercado porque salió en fotos, alias El Gordo le pusieron”, dijo un familiar durante una entrevista que concedió en febrero pasado.

Al finalizar las sesiones fotográficas, los detenidos regresaron a las bartolinas hacinadas. “Dormir en el suelo es lo peor, dormir entrelazado, amontonado, con gente encima. Un rato nos parábamos, un rato nos sentábamos. Otro nos chiniaba y chiniábamos a otro. No le deseo a ninguna persona que viva eso”, cuenta el profesor, quien luego de tres días en esas instalaciones fue trasladado al penal de Izalco donde recibió la paliza por la que agonizó cuatro días.

El régimen y la vendetta

El 27 de marzo de 2022, minutos antes de su captura, el profesor Guzmán observó un comportamiento extraño por parte de uno de sus socios, dueño de cuatro taxis. Los vehículos de su socio estaban estacionados en el punto, pero minutos antes del operativo comenzaron a marcharse hacia el parqueo del Súper Selectos, frente al punto de taxis.

“De repente veo que esta persona arranca su vehículo y se mete al parqueo. Yo lo veía bien sospechoso porque vigiaba para el punto y se volvía a meter”, recuerda. La investigación interna de la Policía consigna que los agentes recibieron la información del subinspector Jorge González para ejecutar la captura, pero el profesor sospecha que un socio taxista lo denunció en el régimen de excepción para sacarlo del negocio.

El 11 de abril de 2022, el profesor Guzmán y 69 personas más enfrentaron la audiencia por el delito de agrupaciones ilícitas. La Fiscalía lo acusa de formar parte de un grupo delictivo, integrado en su mayoría por gente a la que no conocía y que vivían en lugares que él no frecuentaba, como la colonia Las Margaritas, que ha estado por décadas bajo el control de la Mara Salvatrucha-13. Al final de la audiencia virtual, el profesor dijo al juez que padecía diabetes e hipertensión. De la paliza que recibió en el penal de Izalco no dijo nada. El juez respondió que lo sentía por sus padecimientos, pero la resolución que confirmaba la detención era para todos.

Siete días después, por la falta de medicamentos, por las secuelas de la golpiza, por la diabetes y la hipertensión, el profesor enfermó de gravedad y perdió el conocimiento en la celda. Era el 18 de abril de 2022 y, cuando despertó, estaba en la clínica del penal de Izalco. Cuatro días después fue trasladado a Quezaltepeque.

El profesor Guzmán dice que en este penal de Quezaltepeque el trato mejoró un poco, porque les daban dos tiempos de comida, les regalaron un pantalón y una camisa usada, y hasta les permitían el lujo de orar. Los dos tiempos de comida eran macarrones y arroz. Al siguiente día, macarrones y arroz. Y así todos los días. Cuando el profesor entró al sistema penitenciario pesaba 220 libras y cuando salió había bajado a 120. “Yo era un cadáver”, recuerda.

El día del maestro del 2022, el profesor estaba en el penal de Quezaltepeque incomunicado y desnutrido, pero sus alumnos de noveno grado le escribieron el siguiente mensaje en redes sociales. ‘Muchísimas gracias por ser el mejor maestro del centro escolar, por ser un profesor, un amigo, una ayuda para todos. Lastimosamente hoy quedará marcado que no podrá celebrar, pero en ese infierno que lo tienen injustamente sepa que le tenemos un gran cariño’.

Después de cinco meses en Quezaltepeque, el ocho de septiembre de 2022 fue trasladado a El Penalón de Santa Ana, donde al fin pudo ver el cielo desde el patio de la prisión y recuerda, entre lágrimas, haber comido frutas y una pierna de pollo. El 22 de septiembre, un juez lo benefició con libertad condicional y regresó a su casa y trabajo en la escuela de Altavista, donde retomó su cargo como subdirector.

El 22 de septiembre de 2022, el profesor Guzmán quedó en libertad condicional y su vida parecía que regresaba a la normalidad, pero el 22 de marzo de 2023 la Fiscalía giró una nueva orden de captura en su contra. Los policías llegaron a la escuela de Altavista, lo esposaron y lo llevaron de nuevo a una bartolina durante cinco días. Lo acusan del delito de limitación ilegal a la libertad de circulación porque una persona lo acusó de tener nexos con una pandilla y de haberla amenazado de muerte para que abandonara el punto de taxis en la colonia Llano Verde.

El relato de la supuesta víctima tiene inconsistencias contundentes. Por ejemplo, la denuncia consigna que en agosto de 2022, el profesor Guzmán le exigió el pago de renta de 300 dólares para no atentar contra su vida. Sin embargo, en esa fecha el profesor estaba detenido en Quezaltepeque, incomunicado por el régimen de excepción. Al final de la audiencia del mes pasado, el Juzgado de Paz de Ilopango benefició al procesado una vez más con libertad condicional: debe firmar un libro de control cada 15 días hasta que en tres meses se haga una segunda audiencia.

El Faro: