Select Page

The sad memory of the suffering and torture that Enoc endured in prison during the ten months he was detained fills him with feelings of helplessness and concern to the point that he doesn’t want to leave his house and suffers from long periods of insomnia.

“They ruined my life; I’ve been permanently stained for no reason. Imagine if another crazy person comes along and wants to imprison us again, those of us who were accused of (illicit) associations,” he says while resting in the courtyard of his adobe house, with a dirt floor and a roof of old sheets, in a village in Ahuachapán.

The 27-year-old man, a father of four children, was arrested on May 23, 2022, when he returned from working on a farm. The police considered him suspicious because he had a container with the remains of his lunch in his backpack, which he always took to the field where he worked as a day laborer.

“They accused me of bringing food to the gang members,” says the farmer. That same day, five more people were arrested in his village, and all of them were taken together to the nearest police station.

Upon arrival, the police divided the arrests and decided to release two women they had there because the six they brought in met “that day’s quota.”

Enoc recalls that there was a fight among the officers themselves, as one of them knew one of the detainees and disagreed with this type of action. “They insulted each other and yelled profanities,” he narrates.

There were no cells in that police station, so they sent them to a substation where they were mixed with gang members. “The police threatened us to admit that we were gang members, and the gang members threatened us not to open our mouths,” he recounts. From that place, Enoc remembers that there were feces everywhere.

Welcome to Izalco

In a matter of hours, something he never imagined, Enoc was entering Izalco prison, a jail opened in 2017 exclusively for gang members. There began the 10-month nightmare for the farmer.

The “welcome,” as the beating each prisoner receives when entering prison is known, consists of blows with clubs and kicks from the guards as a pressure tactic for the prisoners to admit that they were part of a gang.

Enoc recounts that after they were stripped, about 30 guards hit them with clubs on the head, abdomen, ribs, back, and heels. “Some couldn’t get up anymore; they were left lying there,” he remembers.

“Besides the beatings, there was psychological torture because they told us that the only way out of there was dead,” he adds.

After the beating, Enoc was taken to a punishment cell, where he stayed for seven days. There were 400 prisoners, both ordinary and gang members. The only ventilation was a door, so the air was insufficient, and many fainted. “When someone fainted, and we told the guards, they said it was better for us to die because we had no rights,” he says.

Enoc recounts that during the seven nights he spent in the punishment cell, he couldn’t sleep due to the injuries on his back from the “welcome” beatings, but others were in worse condition; he recalls: broken ribs, arms, or legs from the beating.

Enoc estimates that while he was in Izalco prison, at least eleven prisoners died from the beatings and lack of medical attention after being left for dead.

“There was one from Ahuachapán, whom the guards kicked several times. After ten days, he started to urinate blood and passed clots instead of feces, and eventually died,” he says, feeling helpless.

Later, Enoc was transferred to another cell with 100 people, of which 25 were gang members, and the rest were ordinary prisoners. “There were cells where gang members beat common prisoners to maintain control; they took over the food, and the common prisoners couldn’t say anything,” he claims.

Enoc recounts that they were taken out of that cell at four in the morning to bathe, urinate, and defecate, but there were only three bathrooms, and it was impossible for everyone to meet their needs, so during the day,they used bags.

In the 20 days he spent in the second cell, Enoc got a spot to bathe only twice, as he gave up his place to an older person on other occasions.

Regarding food, he explains that they were only given one mealtime, which included an egg, a little bit of rice,and beans, but later they started giving them three mealtimes.

“Some people lost their minds, and the guards said they would fix them with beatings. In my cell, there were three who slowly began to lose it,” he says.

Corruption in Mariona

On July 28, 2022, Enoc was transferred to La Esperanza prison, known as Mariona, and the situation changed drastically for him. Until then, he had lost about 20 pounds but hadn’t gotten sick.

In Mariona, he was placed in a sector with 932 inmates who had to stay outside the cells from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. The main problem continued to be access to the bathroom, as there were only 12 for everyone.

This caused Enoc to develop a skin disease, with abscesses, or pus-filled lumps, appearing on his body. He had 19 all over his body, especially in the armpits, buttocks, and groin.

The young man recounts that each abscess causes a lot of pain and itching, making it impossible for him to sit, so he has to stand all day.

“Besides being painful, it’s dirty. I was oozing pus and had a terrible smell. They took me to the clinic, well, that’s what they call it, but it was just other inmates cleaning my infections,” he clarifies.

The “clinic” is run by the same convicted inmates and those in a trust phase, who perform treatments without anesthesia or painkillers, using only a scalpel-like blade. Enoc explains that they made a wound in each inflammation to drain the pus, leaving him with several scars all over his body.

“I haven’t been ‘weak’ (sensitive) to pain, but there were times when the pain made me cry, and the itching was unbearable,” he recalls. Two months after being released, he still has itchy scars from the abscesses, although they no longer contain pus, and he continues to take medication.

Unlike in Izalco, where Enoc received the package his family brought him, in Mariona, he only received toilet paper. He never received the oatmeal, milk, and sugar his family brought him with great effort, month after month.

This causes many inmates who become ill to fall into malnutrition, which worsens the diseases that plague them due to overcrowding and unsanitary conditions. Enoc recounts that some people’s malnutrition is so severe that they look cadaverous, and some even have trouble walking. He lost 70 pounds while he was there.

Enoc recounts that in Mariona, the convicted inmates control everything, leading to a series of abuses, including sexual assault. “The guards allowed the convicted inmates who ran the place to abuse some prisoners in the bathrooms and the booths sexually,” he explains.

Although Enoc did not receive the food his family sent him monthly, he points out that they received their complete packages in the sector where the gang members were.

Another act of corruption that Enoc encountered in Mariona prison was the payments some families made, ranging between $500 and $600, to gain access to a visit. “I knew of at least 25 people whose families paid to have the opportunity to see them, even if only for five minutes,” he claims.

Enoc was subjected to a polygraph test in early February of this year. An investigator tried hard to make the farmer admit that he collaborated with the gangs, but the instrument proved otherwise. As a result, he was released 24 days later.

However, like most cases under the regime, Enoc is obliged to sign in at a court every month. The judge recommended that to avoid being arrested again, “it’s best not to leave your house.”

“The harm hasn’t been done just to me but also to my children, my wife, my family because we are all afraid,” he concludes.


“Me arruinaron la vida…” el duro testimonio del exreo Enoc

El triste recuerdo del sufrimiento y las torturas que sufrió Enoc dentro de los penales, durante los 10 meses que estuvo detenido, le provocan sentimientos de impotencia y preocupación, a tal punto que no desea ni salir de casa y sufre largos períodos de insomnio.

“Me arruinaron la vida, he quedado manchado para siempre sin ninguna razón. Imagínese si después viene otro loco y quiere meternos presos otra vez a los que nos acusaron de asociaciones (ilícitas)”, dice mientras descansa en el patio de su vivienda de bahareque, piso de tierra y techo de láminas viejas, en un caserío de Ahuachapán.

El hombre de 27 años, padre de cuatro niños, fue capturado el 23 de mayo de 2022 cuando regresaba de trabajar de una finca. Los policías lo consideraron sospechoso porque en su mochila traía un depósito con restos de su almuerzo, que siempre llevaba al campo donde trabajaba como jornalero.

“Me acusaron de que yo venía de dejarles comida a los pandilleros”, dice el agricultor. Ese mismo día, en su caserío capturaron a cinco personas más y los llevaron a todos juntos al puesto policial más cercano.

Al llegar, los policías se repartieron las capturas y decidieron dejar libres a dos mujeres que tenían ahí, porque con las seis que llevaban alcanzaban “la cuota de ese día”.

Enoc recuerda que hubo una pelea entre los mismos agentes, porque uno de ellos conocía a uno de los capturados y no estaba de acuerdo con este tipo de acciones. “Se ofendieron entre ellos y se gritaban malas palabras”, relata.

En ese puesto policial no había bartolinas, así que los enviaron a una subdelegación y ahí fueron mezclados con pandilleros. “Los policías nos amenazaban para que aceptáramos que éramos pandilleros y los pandilleros nos amenazaban para que no abriéramos la boca”, relata. De ese lugar, Enoc recuerda que había heces fecales por todos lados.

Bienvenida en Izalco

En cuestión de horas, sin que alguna vez se lo hubiera imaginado en su vida, Enoc estaba entrando en el penal de Izalco, una cárcel inaugurada en 2017 exclusivamente para integrantes de pandillas. Ahí comenzó la pesadilla que duraría 10 meses para el agricultor.

La “bienvenida”, como se le conoce a la paliza que cada reo recibe al entrar a la prisión, consiste en golpes con garrotes y patadas por parte de los custodios, como medida de presión para que los reos admitan que eran integrantes de alguna pandilla.

Enoc relata que después de que los desnudaban, unos 30 custodios les pegaban con la macana en la cabeza, abdomen, costillas, espalda y talones. “Algunos ya no se levantaban, ahí quedaban tirados”, recuerda.

“Además de los golpes, había tortura psicológica porque nos decían que la única forma de salir de ahí era muertos”, agrega.

Tras la golpiza, Enoc fue llevado a una celda de castigo donde permaneció durante siete días. Allí había 400 reos, entre comunes y pandilleros. La única ventilación era una puerta, por lo que el aire no era suficiente y muchos se desmayaban. “Cuando alguien caía desmayado y le avisamos a los custodios nos decían que era mejor que nos muriéramos porque no teníamos derecho a nada”, dice.

Enoc relata que durante las siete noches que estuvo en la celda de castigo no durmió debido a las heridas que tenía en la espalda a causa de los golpes que le dieron en la “bienvenida”, pero otros estaban en peores condiciones, recuerda: costillas, brazos o piernas rotas por la golpiza.

Enoc hace cuenta que mientras él estuvo en el penal de Izalco murieron al menos once reos por las golpizas y la falta de atención médica después que los dejaban moribundos.

“Había uno que era también de Ahuachapán, que los custodios le pegaron varias patadas, a los diez días empezó a orinar sangre y hacía como coágulos en vez de heces y terminó muriendo”, dice con impotencia.

Luego, Enoc fue traslado a otra celda donde había 100 personas, de las cuales 25 eran pandilleros y los demás reos comunes. “Había celdas donde los pandilleros le pegaban a los reos comunes para mantener el control, ellos se adueñaron de la comida y los comunes no podían decir nada”, asegura.

Enoc relata que de esa celda los sacaban a las cuatro de la mañana para que se bañaran, orinaran y defecaran, pero solo había tres baños y era imposible que todos lograran hacer sus necesidades, por lo que durante el día hacían en bolsas.

En los 20 días que estuvo en la segunda celda, Enoc solamente logró cupo para bañarse en dos ocasiones, porque en otras le cedió su lugar a una persona mayor.

En cuanto a la alimentación, explica que solo les daban un tiempo de comida que incluía un huevo, un poquito de arroz y frijoles, pero luego empezaron a darles tres tiempos de comida.

“Había gente que se le distorsionaba la mente y los custodios decían que a puro garrotazos les iban a arreglar, en mi celda había tres que poco a poco empezaron a “desvariar”, dice.

La corrupción de Mariona

El 28 de julio de 2022 Enoc fue trasladado al penal La Esperanza, conocido como Mariona y la situación cambió drásticamente para él, hasta el momento había perdido unas 20 libras de peso, pero no se había enfermado.

En Mariona fue colocado en un sector donde había 932 reos, los cuales debían permanecer fuera de las celdas desde la 6 de la mañana hasta las 4 de la tarde. Los mayores problemas seguían siendo el acceso al baño, pues solo había 12 para todos.

Eso provocó que Enoc se enfermara de la piel, le salieron abscesos, es decir, protuberancias llenas de pus. Llegó a tener 19 en todo el cuerpo, en especial en la axilas, los glúteos y las entrepiernas.

El joven relata que cada absceso produce mucho dolor y picazón, por lo que se le hacía imposible sentarse, debía permanecer de pie todo el día.

“Aparte de ser doloroso es sucio, uno anda destilando pus y aquel gran mal olor. Me sacaron a la clínica, bueno así le llaman, pero solo son otros reos limpiándole las infecciones a uno”, aclara.

La “clínica” es atendida por los mismo reos penados y en fase de confianza, quienes hacen curaciones, sin ninguna anestesia ni analgésico, sino solo con una cuchilla tipo bisturí. Enoc explica que le hacían una herida en cada inflamación para sacarle la pus, de lo que ahora tiene varias cicatrices en todo su cuerpo.

“Yo no he sido ‘aguacate’ (débil) para el dolor pero hubo ratos que el dolor me hacía llorar, además la picazón es insoportable”, recuerda. A dos meses de salir libre aún tiene cicatrices de los abscesos que le provocan picazón aunque ya no tienen pus y sigue tomando medicamento.

A diferencia de Izalco, donde Enoc recibió el paquete que sus familiares le llevaron, en Mariona solo recibió el papel higiénico, nunca recibió la avena, la leche y azúcar que sus familiares le llevaban con mucho esfuerzo, mes a mes.

Esto provoca que muchos reos que enferman comiencen a caer en un cuadro de desnutrición, que se agrava con las enfermedades que los acechan por el hacinamiento y la insalubridad. Enoc relata que hay personas cuya desnutrición es tan grave que lucen cadavéricas y a algunas se les dificulta hasta caminar. Él perdió 70 libras de peso mientras estuvo ahí .

Enoc relata que en Mariona son los reos penados los que tienen el control de todo, lo que da una serie de abusos incluso agresiones sexuales. “Los custodios permitían que los presos condenados que administran el lugar abusen sexualmente de algunos reos, en los baños y en las casetas” explica.

Aunque Enoc no recibía los alimentos que su familia le enviaba mensualmente, señala que en el sector donde estaban los integrantes de las pandillas sí recibían sus paquetes completos.

Otro de los actos de corrupción que Enoc conoció en el penal de Mariona es el pago que algunos familiares hacen de entre 500 o 600 dólares para poder tener acceso a una visita. “Supe de al menos 25 personas cuyas familias pagaban para tener la oportunidad de verlos aunque sea cinco minutos”, asegura.

A principios de febrero de este año, Enoc fue sometido a la prueba del polígrafo, donde un investigador hizo todo su esfuerzo para que el agricultor aceptara que colaboraba con las pandillas, pero el instrumento demostró que no es así, por lo que 24 días después fue puesto en libertad.

Sin embargo, como en la mayoría de casos del régimen, Enoc está obligado a presentarse a firmar ante un juzgado cada mes. La jueza le recomendó que para que no lo vuelvan a capturar “lo mejor es que no salga de su casa”.

“El daño no me lo han hecho solo a mí, sino también a mis niños, a mi señora, a mi familia porque todos tenemos miedo”, concluye.