Select Page

The Control Unit of the National Civil Police (PNC), an internal office that verifies the legality of police procedures, found evidence of an illegal arrest against Ramón, 24 years old. The young man, who works in the warehouse of a bookstore in Greater San Salvador, was captured on April 13, 2022, during the first month of the state of exception regime, by a group of soldiers from the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Armed Forces, despite not having tattoos related to gangs, no criminal record. Police intelligence not having registered him as a gang member or collaborator with any gang.

“Forward a copy of this preliminary inspection procedure and its annexes to the San Marcos prosecutor’s office so that said office can determine whether to initiate the corresponding investigation against soldiers Emerson Antonio Vásquez and Jorge Alberto Soriano Santos, assigned to the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Armed Forces for having detained the young man, who has no record of belonging to any gang or having previous criminal records before his arrest since said military personnel could have committed a deprivation of liberty or an illegal arrest,” states the document titled “Preliminary Inspection Procedure DPO 134”.

The preliminary procedure was prepared by Sergeant Martinez and Corporal Rodriguez, assigned to the Metropolitan Control Unit of the Police. El Faro had access to this internal information thanks to a leak of thousands of official documents in possession of the transparency organization DDoSecrets, which received them from a group of hackers calling themselves Guacamaya. This newspaper contrasted the information with the testimony of the detainee, who spent eight months in Mariona prison, where he was mistreated by guards, contracted fungi, and suffered from hunger. “When we entered, they didn’t give us food. They only gave us two meals the next day, but one plate was for three or four people. And it wasn’t a plate… but it was a little tortilla like a taco, thin, and a few mashed beans.”

Despite multiple reports of arbitrary arrests, this leak is one of the few ways to document specific cases, as all legal proceedings involving people arrested under the state of exception regime have been declared entirely confidential. In August 2022, when this medium systematized the judicial records that held 690 people in prison under the repressive measure, it was possible to verify that hundreds of Salvadorans were arrested because, according to a soldier or police officer, they appeared suspicious or showed ‘nervousness.’

The crime of living in remote areas

Ramón lives in the hamlet of El Bajillo, in the canton of Panchimalquito. The hamlet is a hillside of scattered houses and leafy trees. To get there, it is necessary to cross a small rocky ravine and go down a narrow path that winds between grasslands, mangoes, and ice-cream beans. There is no public transport in the canton of Panchimalquito and the hamlet of El Bajillo. To get to the urban center of Panchimalco, six kilometers away, residents get up early and board the few pickup trucks that reach the top of the hill.

“I wake up at two in the morning every day. I go to fetch water with the kids in the spring. Before four in the morning, I already have to be waiting for the pickup,” said a woman who works as a domestic worker in Los Planes de Renderos, about eleven kilometers from her canton. “Transportation here is terrible,” the woman repeated on March 29 while showing the way to El Bajillo, on the condition that we would take her in the vehicle to a neighboring hamlet, also with difficult access.

Due to the lack of transportation, when Ramón had to work early at the bookstore, he would go to his sister’s house the day before. His sister lives in Monteliz de Los Planes de Renderos, a neighborhood served by two bus and microbus routes. On April 12, 2022, during the state of exception regime, Ramón arrived at his sister’s house, where he stayed overnight. The soldiers captured him the next day because they found it suspicious that the address on his DUI (El Bajillo hamlet) did not match the place where he was staying (Monteliz neighborhood). “You’re on the run,” a soldier told him. “We went looking for you there, and we didn’t find you,” he repeated.

Ramón explained that he was at his sister’s house because the transportation service in his hamlet was precarious, pickups were scarce, and at six in the morning, he was heading to work. He showed a work letter, but one of the soldiers tore it up. “This is useless to you,” Ramón remembers being told. The young man, a child’s father, was arrested for illicit group activity and, the next day, sent to Mariona prison along with 30 other people he had never seen.

Ramón’s father, with the same name, said his son did not belong to any gang, that the arrest seemed unfair, and asked public security authorities for his release, according to statements collected by YSUCA radio. The gardener assured that his son was not a bum because he had a work letter and a Social Security document stating that he was employed at the bookstore. “He saw him for the last time on Wednesday in the Panchimalco holding cells, and despite evidence of the error of his arrest, he was sent to La Esperanza prison, known as Mariona,” states one of the documents from the Metropolitan Control Unit dating from April 23, 2022, ten days after the arrest.

Information on Ramón’s arrest is contained in two emails dating from May 7, 2022. The Control Unit sent the first email to the Metropolitan Control Unit 41 days after the state of exception regime was approved, with the subject: “Sending possible arbitrary detentions under the state of exception Decree N° 333”. The email has attached a Word document titled: “Detentions under the state of exception DR San Salvador,” which lists 20 alleged arbitrary detentions, compiled mainly by the Police because they went viral on social media.

This means that during the first 41 days of the state of exception, the Metropolitan Police Control Unit recorded, on average, one complaint of arbitrary arrest every two days. Ramón’s is one of the 20 cases listed in this file. “Take note of the new ones that have emerged,” reads part of the message written in the body of the internal email and not signed by any officer.

On May 7, 2022, when the Control Unit sent the case, the officers in that office had already advanced in the investigation of Ramón’s point: they had requested documents from the San Marcos police delegation and interviewed the alleged arresting officers. That same day, May 7, the Metropolitan Control Unit sent a second email to the Control Analysis Unit. In that second email, nine Word documents are attached, corresponding to preliminary investigation proceedings, and a PowerPoint presentation with a summary of each case.

In most of them, six out of nine, the investigators considered the arrests legal. Among them is the case of Wilber Alexánder Rivera Avendaño, a worker at a mattress factory who was arrested in Dolores colony, accused of collaborating with a gang. The case went viral on social media because his mother reported in El Diario de Hoy that the police told him they were arresting him “for being an informant.” Another case in the presentation is that of Fausto Eliseo Benítez Rodríguez, a scholarship holder at the Forever Foundation, who was studying for a fifth-year bachelor’s degree in English and was arrested in Panchimalco on April 21, 2022. The foundation’s president, Alejandro Gutman, advocated for the young man on a radio program, but the police report says the arrest was legal.

In the PowerPoint document, Ramón’s case is listed after a slide titled: “Cases in which there was an abuse of authority.” Ramón’s is the only one in which the Metropolitan Control Unit forcefully states that the detainee may have been a victim of illegal detention or arrest. The police knew the arrest was unlawful since April 23, 2022, but Ramón was sent to Mariona prison and was released on parole on December 1, 2022. “When I arrived there (Mariona), guards were on both sides. They said if I raised my head, they would hit me and bend over; I only managed to get hit with a stick in the ribs and a kick with a boot. When I entered the cell, people were all tattooed, even looking green. I was scared because I had never been with people like that. The gang members had the beds, and the civilians had to sleep under the beds.”

During the eight months, he was in Mariona, Ramón contracted fungal infections and witnessed deaths. “In the adjacent cell, several people died. Sometimes, at night, around six, the other inmates would scream for help, and it never came… later, they would say that the person had died and take them out on a stretcher covered with a white sheet. When I was in sector six, they took out about three on stretchers and white cloths; when I was in sector three, they took out about two.”

On the afternoon of Monday, April 10, and the morning of April 11, 2023, El Faro tried to obtain a statement from the Ministry of Justice and Security and the National Civil Police (PNC) by phone calls to the press officers of these institutions, electronic messaging texts, and official social media accounts, but by the time this report was closed, no response had been received.

The military does not want to identify themselves

The military made Ramón’s arrest, but during the procedure, the authorities of the San Marcos police delegation pinned the paperwork for the arrest on two officers who did not participate in the process and had no idea how or why Ramón was detained: Corporal Martinez and Agent Zuniga.

According to the documents, on April 13, 2022, at 8:00 in the morning, Corporal Martinez and Agent Zuniga were in the general formation of the San Marcos delegation when an inspector with the alias Cristian took them out of the line and told them to process some detainees.

According to the official account, Corporal Martinez asked if the police had accompanied the soldiers during the arrest. Still, they responded that the military carried out the arrest alone. At 12:41 p.m., a military truck arrived with some detainees, and Inspector Cristian told her: “take them; it’s an order.” Ramón and five other people were in the military truck: Erika Ester Orellana Torres, Aníbal Alexander Hernández Torres, Irving Gilberto Vásquez Hernández, Edwin Dagoberto Pérez Sánchez, and William David Gutierrez Ortiz, arrested for illegal associations, according to a copy of the report 4346438.

So far, the documents El Faro has accessed do not clarify if all were arrested on the same day or in the same place.

Corporal Martinez asked who was in charge of the commission, and one of the military personnel replied, according to the documents, that “why did she want to know his name and that he was not going to give it to her because it was not necessary.” Corporal Martinez insisted that it was necessary to know who was in charge of the arrests to include that information in the referral record. This document validates the arrest and that “otherwise, she would not accept the procedure.”

An officer from the San Marcos Police mentioned only by the code name Commissioner Palestinian, intervened to convince the military personnel that they could not hide this information because it was necessary to continue the procedure. Then, an army officer identified himself as “Colonel Utila” and delegated two soldiers as responsible for the referral record. Corporal Martinez asked the soldiers if they knew where they had brought the detainees from and “if they were clear targets,” but they replied that they did not know.

In an interview with the Metropolitan Control Unit on April 25, 2022, Corporal Martinez clarified that the police only referred the detainees. Still, the arrest procedure was carried out by the Armed Forces. Why did they arrest Ramón? She said she was unaware of the reasons for the arrest, and all she knew was that “the soldiers said they were gang members.”

The soldiers’ claim contrasts with Ramón’s police profile. This was the information the police had about the detainee: “Alias: Chele. Criminal structure: none. Program: none. Level: none. Arrests made for illegal associations. Criminal and police records: none.” The clinical check-up sheet states, “No bruises or tattoos.”

The Metropolitan Control Unit found evidence of unlawful deprivation of liberty or arbitrary detention against Ramón and, for this reason, sent the case to the San Marcos Prosecutor’s Office. On the afternoon of April 10, 2023, El Faro called the Ministry of Defense’s Protocol Unit to request an official statement on this case. Colonel Hernandez provided an email address to send the request in writing, sent that same afternoon. When this report was closed, the Ministry of Defense had not yet provided an official response to the information request.

In addition to referring the case to the Prosecutor’s Office, the Metropolitan Control Unit recommended that the San Marcos delegation’s management coordinate with military leadership to “have the military personnel prepare the respective arrest or flagrant deprivation of liberty record, according to the police and military action protocol in the application of the decree above (state of exception).”

Ramón’s case is one of the hundreds of complaints against the state of exception. Organizations like Cristosal and Human Rights Watch (HRW) have prepared reports documenting arbitrary mass arrests, torture, and other ill-treatment against detainees, enforced disappearances, and at least 114 people in state custody deaths. Some of these abuses have been acknowledged by internal police investigations, as in the case of Ramón and mason José Alfredo Grande Martínez, another victim of arbitrary arrest.

Another victim of the regime released after a year in prison

Mason José Alfredo Grande Martínez, arbitrarily arrested by the police on April 5, 2022, in the Emanuel community of Santa Ana, regained his conditional freedom after almost a year in various detention centers for the alleged crime of collaborating with a gang.

On March 13, 2023, almost a year after the arrest, the Specialized Court of Instruction A2 of Santa Ana held a special hearing to review the measures. It released him under three conditions: to report to the court to sign once a month, establish a place of residence, and not leave the country without judicial authorization.

On February 15, 2023, El Faro published a report on the arbitrary arrest of Grande Martínez, recorded in an internal investigation by the Police Control Unit. This newspaper accessed that information thanks to the leak of thousands of official documents in possession of the transparency organization DDoSecrets, which received them from a group of hackers calling themselves Guacamaya.

The Police Control Unit confirmed that the arresting officers of Grande Martínez recorded false information in the arrest record, omitted essential details about how the events occurred, and used a “non-qualified” source to accuse and arrest the mason for collaborating with a gang. “The arrest is due to this individual hiding gang members in his house when the police patrolled the area. He and six gang members were being investigated following several citizen complaints (sic),” wrote the Minister of Security, Gustavo Villatoro, on his Twitter account on April 10, 2022.

However, the internal police investigation notes that the officers used false and inaccurate information in the documents to justify the mason’s arrest. In the judicial process, there is also no strong evidence regarding Grande Martínez’s alleged illegal activities, so much so that the court granted him conditional release, and the prosecutors did not even attend the hearing. “The Prosecutor’s Office did not appear at the hearing,” said a judicial source, who confirmed that the mason regained his freedom four days after the hearing on Friday, March 17, 2023.

El Faro:

Policía pidió investigar a militares del Estado Mayor por “detención ilegal” de un joven en el régimen

La Unidad de Control de la Policía Nacional Civil (PNC), una oficina interna que verifica la legalidad de procedimientos policiales, encontró indicios de una captura ilegal en contra de Ramón, de 24 años. El joven, quien trabaja en la bodega de una librería en el Gran San Salvador, fue capturado el 13 de abril de 2022, durante el primer mes del régimen de excepción, por un grupo de soldados del Estado Mayor Conjunto de la Fuerza Armada, pese a que no tenía tatuajes alusivos a pandillas, no tenía antecedentes penales y la Inteligencia Policial no lo había fichado ni como pandillero ni como colaborador de alguna pandilla.

“Remítase copia de la presente diligencia preliminar de inspección y sus anexos, a la oficina fiscal de San Marcos, para que dicha instancia determine si se inicia la investigación correspondiente contra los soldados Emerson Antonio Vásquez y Jorge Alberto Soriano Santos, asignados al Estado Mayor Conjunto de la Fuerza Armada por haber realizado la detención del joven, quien no posee registro de pertenecer a ninguna pandilla, ni tiene antecedentes criminales anteriores a su detención, ya que dicho personal militar podría haber incurrido en una privación de libertad o una detención ilegal”, consigna el documento titulado “Diligencia Preliminar de Inspección DPO 134”.

La diligencia preliminar fue elaborada por el sargento Martínez y el cabo Rodríguez, asignados a la Unidad de Control Metropolitana de la Policía. El Faro tuvo acceso a esta información interna gracias a una filtración de miles de documentos oficiales en poder de la organización de transparencia DDoSecrets, que los recibió de un grupo de hackers que se autodenomina Guacamaya. Este periódico contrastó la información con el testimonio del detenido, quien estuvo ocho meses preso en Mariona, un penal donde fue maltratado por los custodios, se contagió de hongos y padeció hambre. “Cuando entramos no nos dieron comida. Al siguiente día solo nos dieron dos tiempos, pero un plato era para tres o cuatro personas. Y no era un plato… sino que era una tortillita como las de taco, delgaditas, y un poquito de frijoles molidos”.

A pesar de las múltiples denuncias de capturas arbitrarias, esta filtración es una de las pocas formas de documentar casos concretos, pues todos los procesos judiciales de personas capturadas bajo el régimen de excepción han sido declarados con reserva total. Cuando en agosto de 2022 este medio sistematizó los expedientes judiciales que tenían en prisión a 690 personas bajo la represiva medida, fue posible constatar que cientos de salvadoreños fueron capturados porque según un soldado o policía parecían sospechosos o mostraron ‘nerviosismo’. 

El delito de vivir en lo recóndito

Ramón vive en el caserío El Bajillo, en el cantón Panchimalquito. El caserío es una ladera de casas dispersas y de árboles frondosos. Para llegar, es necesario cruzar una pequeña quebrada pedregosa y bajar por un estrecho camino que serpentea entre zacatales, mangos y pepetos. En el cantón Panchimalquito y en el caserío El Bajillo, no hay transporte público y, para llegar al casco urbano de Panchimalco, a seis kilómetros de distancia, los habitantes madrugan y abordan los escasos pickup que llegan a la cima del cerro.

“Yo me levanto a las dos de la madrugada, todos los días. Voy a traer agua con los cipotes al manantial y antes de las cuatro de la mañana ya tengo que estar esperando el pickup”, dijo una señora que trabaja como empleada doméstica en Los Planes de Renderos, a unos once kilómetros de su cantón. “El transporte aquí es muy malo”, repitió la señora el 29 de marzo pasado, mientras mostraba el camino hacia El Bajillo, con la condición de que la llevaramos en el vehículo a un caserío aledaño, también de difícil acceso.

Por la falta de transporte, cuando Ramón tenía que trabajar temprano en la librería se iba para la casa de su hermana desde un día antes. La hermana vive en Monteliz de Los Planes de Renderos, una colonia por la que pasan dos rutas de buses y microbuses. El 12 de abril de 2022, en pleno régimen de excepción, Ramón llegó a la casa de su hermana, donde se quedó a dormir. Los soldados lo capturaron al siguiente día porque les pareció sospechoso que la dirección de su DUI (caserío El Bajillo) no coincidía con el lugar donde estaba (colonia Monteliz). “Vos huyendo andás”, le dijo un soldado. “Allá te fuimos a buscar y no te encontramos”, le repitió.

Ramón explicó que estaba en casa de su hermana porque en su caserío hay un precario servicio de transporte, que los pickups eran escasos y que a esa hora, las seis de la mañana, se dirigía a trabajar. Él mostró una carta de trabajo, pero uno de los soldados la rompió. “Esto no te sirve para nada”, recuerda Ramón que le dijeron. El joven, padre de un niño, fue capturado por el delito de agrupaciones ilícitas y, al siguiente día, remitido al penal de Mariona junto a otras 30 personas, a quienes nunca había visto en su vida.

El padre de Ramón, de igual nombre, dijo que su hijo no pertenece a ninguna pandilla, que la captura le parecía injusta y pidió a las autoridades de seguridad pública su liberación, según declaraciones que recogió radio YSUCA. El jardinero aseguró que su hijo no era un vago porque tenía una carta de trabajo y un documento del Seguro Social donde constaba que era empleado de la librería. “Lo vio por última vez el miércoles en las bartolinas de Panchimalco y a pesar de las pruebas de error de su captura, fue enviado al penal La Esperanza conocido como Mariona”, consigna uno de los documentos de la Unidad de Control Metropolitana que data del 23 de abril de 2022, diez días después de la captura.

La información sobre la captura de Ramón está contenida en dos correos electrónicos que datan del 7 de mayo de 2022. El primer correo electrónico fue remitido por la Unidad de Control hacia la Unidad de Control Metropolitana 41 días después de aprobado el régimen de excepción y tiene como asunto la siguiente frase: “Enviando posibles detenciones arbitrarias bajo el régimen de excepción Decreto N° 333”. El correo tiene anexado un documento Word titulado: “Detenciones bajo régimen de excepción DR San Salvador’, en cual se exponen 20 casos de supuestas detenciones arbitrarias, en su mayoría recopilados por la Policía porque se volvieron virales en redes sociales.

Esto significa que durante los primeros 41 días del régimen de excepción, la Unidad de Control Metropolitana de la Policía registró, en promedio, una denuncia de captura arbitraria cada dos días. El de Ramón es uno de los 20 casos que está enumerado en este archivo. “Tomar nota de las nuevas que han surgido”, reza parte del mensaje que está escrito en el cuerpo del correo interno y que no está firmado por ningún oficial.

El 7 de mayo de 2022, cuando la Unidad de Control envió el caso, los oficiales de esa oficina ya habían avanzado en la investigación del caso de Ramón: habían solicitado documentos a la delegación policial de San Marcos y habían entrevistado a los supuestos agentes captores. Ese mismo día, el 7 de mayo, la Unidad de Control Metropolitana envió un segundo correo a la Unidad de Control de Análisis. En ese segundo mail están anexos nueve documentos Word que corresponden a diligencias preliminares de investigación y una presentación Power Point, con el resumen de cada caso.

En la mayoría, seis de nueve, los investigadores consideraron que las capturas fueron legales. Entre estas se encuentra la de Wilber Alexánder Rivera Avendaño, el trabajador de una fábrica de colchones que fue detenido en la colonia Dolores, acusado de colaborar con una pandilla. El caso se volvió viral en redes sociales porque su madre denunció en El Diario de Hoy que los policías le dijeron que lo detenían “por ser oreja”. Otro de los casos en la presentación es el de Fausto Eliseo Benítez Rodríguez, becario de la Fundación Forever, que estudiaba quinto año de la licenciatura en inglés y que fue capturado en Panchimalco el 21 de abril de 2022. El presidente de la fundación, Alejandro Gutman, abogó en un programa de radio a favor del joven, pero el informe policial dice que la captura fue legal.

En el documento Power Point, el caso de Ramón está consignado después de una lámina con el siguiente título: “Casos en los que al parecer hubo abuso de autoridad”. El de Ramón es el único en que la Unidad de Control Metropolitana dice con contundencia que el detenido pudo haber sido víctima de privación de libertad o captura ilegal. La Policía sabía que la captura era ilegal desde el 23 de abril de 2022, pero Ramón fue enviado al penal de Mariona y salió bajo libertad condicional hasta el 1 de diciembre de 2022. “Ya llegando ahí (Mariona) fue que estaban los custodios a los lados, así lado y lado. Y dijeron que al que levantara la cabeza le iban a dar, y agachado sólo me alcanzaron a pegar con el garrote en la costilla y un puntón con la bota. Cuando entré a la celda estaban unos todos tatuados, hasta verdes se miraban, yo sí sentí miedo porque nunca había estado con personas así. Los de las pandillas tenían los catres y a los civiles nos tocaba dormir bajo los catres”.

Durante los ochos meses que estuvo en Mariona, Ramón se contagió de hongos y atestiguó muertes. “En la celda de a la par fallecieron varias personas. A veces, en la noche, como a las seis, gritaban los demás presos que pedían ayuda y nunca llegaba… allá al rato, decían que ya había fallecido y lo sacaban en camilla ya tapado con una sábana blanca. Cuando estuve en el sector seis sacaron como a tres en camilla y trapo blanco; cuando estuve en el (sector) tres sacaron como a dos”.

La tarde del lunes 10 y la mañana del 11 de abril de 2023, El Faro intentó obtener una versión del Ministerio de Justicia y Seguridad y de la Policía Nacional Civil (PNC) por medio de llamadas telefónicas a los encargados de prensa de esas instituciones, por textos de mensajería electrónica y por las cuentas oficiales de redes sociales, pero hasta el cierre de esta nota no se obtuvo respuesta.

Los militares no quieren identificarse

La captura de Ramón fue hecha por militares, pero durante el procedimiento las autoridades de la delegación policial en San Marcos endilgaron el papeleo de la detención a dos agentes que no participaron en el procedimiento y que no tenían la mínima idea de cómo o por qué Ramón estaba detenido: la cabo Martínez y el agente Zúniga.

Según los documentos, el 13 de abril de 2022, a las 08:00 de la mañana, la cabo Martínez y el agente Zúniga estaban en la formación general de la delegación de San Marcos cuando un inspector de indicativo Cristian los sacó de la fila y les dijo que hicieran la remisión de unos detenidos.

Según el relato oficial, la cabo Martínez preguntó si la Policía acompañó a los soldados al momento del arresto, pero le respondieron que la detención la habían hecho sólo los militares. A las 12:41 llegó un camión militar con unos detenidos y el inspector Cristian le dijo: “recíbalos, es una orden”. En el camión militar estaba Ramón y cinco personas más: Erika Ester Orellana Torres, Aníbal Alexander Hernández Torres, Irving Gilberto Vásquez Hernández, Edwin Dagoberto Pérez Sánchez y William David Gutierrez Ortiz, capturados por agrupaciones ilícitas, según la copia de la novedad 4346438.

Los documentos a los que El Faro ha tenido acceso hasta el momento no aclaran si todos fueron capturados el mismo día o en el mismo lugar.

La cabo Martínez preguntó quién era el encargado de la comisión y uno de los militares le respondió, según los documentos, que “para qué quería saber su nombre y que no se lo iba a dar porque no era necesario”. La cabo Martínez insistió en que era necesario saber quién estuvo a cargo de las detenciones para poner esa información en el acta de remisión, un documento que valida la detención, y que “si no, no recibía el procedimiento”.

Un oficial de la Policía de San Marcos, mencionado solo con el indicativo de Comisionado Palestino, intervino para convencer a los militares que no podían ocultar esa información porque era necesaria para continuar con el procedimiento. Entonces, un militar se limitó a identificarse como “el coronel Utila” y delegó a dos soldados como responsables del acta de remisión. La cabo Martínez preguntó a los soldados si sabían de dónde traían a los detenidos y “si eran objetivos claros”, pero ellos respondieron que no sabían.

En una entrevista que brindó a la Unidad de Control Metropolitana el 25 de abril de 2022, la cabo Martínez aclaró que la Policía solo remitió a los detenidos, pero que el procedimiento de detención estuvo a cargo de la Fuerza Armada. ¿Por qué capturaron a Ramón? Ella dijo que desconocía los motivos de la detención y lo único que sabía es que “los soldados dijeron que eran pandilleros”.

El dicho de los soldados contrasta con el perfil policial de Ramón. Esta era la información que la Policía tenía sobre el detenido: “Alias: Chele. Estructura delincuencial: ninguna. Programa: ninguno. Nivel: ninguno. Detención realizada por agrupaciones ilícitas. Antecedentes policiales y delincuenciales: ninguno”. En la hoja de chequeo clínico está consignado lo siguiente: “no tiene golpes ni posee tatuajes”.

La Unidad de Control Metropolitana encontró indicios de una privación de libertad o una detención arbitraria en contra de Ramón y por esa razón mandó el caso a la Fiscalía de San Marcos. La tarde del 10 de abril de 2023, El Faro llamó a la Unidad de Protocolo del Ministerio de Defensa para solicitar una versión oficial sobre este caso. El coronel Hernández proporcionó un correo electrónico para hacerle llegar la solicitud por escrito, solicitud que se envió esa misma tarde. Hasta el cierre de esta nota, el Ministerio de Defensa aún no había dado una respuesta oficial a la petición de información.

Además de remitir el caso a la Fiscalía, la Unidad de Control Metropolitana recomendó a la jefatura de la delegación de San Marcos que coordine con las jefaturas militares para “que se elabore por parte del personal militar, el acta respectiva de aprehensión o privación de libertad en flagrancia, según el protocolo de actuación policial y militar en la aplicación del referido decreto (régimen de excepción)”.

El de Ramón es uno de las cientos de denuncias contra el régimen de excepción. Organizaciones como Cristosal y Human Rights Watch (HRW) han elaborado informes que documentan detenciones arbitrarias masivas, torturas y otras formas de maltrato contra personas detenidas, desapariciones forzadas y, al menos, 114 muertes de personas que estaban bajo custodia del Estado. Algunos de estos abusos han sido admitidos por investigaciones internas de la Policía, como en el caso de Ramón y del albañil José Alfredo Grande Martínez, otra víctima de una captura arbitraria.

Libre otra víctima del régimen tras un año de prisión

El albañil José Alfredo Grande Martínez, capturado arbitrariamente por la Policía el cinco de abril de 2022, en la comunidad Emanuel de Santa Ana, recuperó su libertad condicional después de casi un año de permanecer en diferentes centros penales por el supuesto delito de colaborar con una pandilla.

El pasado 13 de marzo de 2023, casi un año después de la captura, el Juzgado Especializado de Instrucción A2 de Santa Ana realizó una audiencia especial de revisión de medidas y lo liberó bajo tres condiciones: presentarse al juzgado a firmar una vez cada mes, fijar un lugar de residencia y no salir del país sin autorización judicial.

El pasado 15 de febrero de 2023, El Faro publicó un reportaje sobre la captura arbitraria de Grande Martínez, consignada en una investigación interna de la Unidad de Control de la Policía. Este periódico tuvo acceso a esa información gracias a la filtración de miles de documentos oficiales en poder de la organización de transparencia DDoSecrets, que los recibió de un grupo de hackers que se autodenomina Guacamaya.

La Unidad de Control de la Policía corroboró que los agentes captores de Grande Martínez consignaron información falsa en el acta de detención, omitieron datos importantes sobre cómo sucedieron los hechos y usaron una fuente “no calificada” para acusar y capturar al albañil por colaborar con una pandilla. “La captura se debe a que este sujeto escondía a los pandilleros en su casa cuando la policía patrullaba la zona él junto a seis pandilleros estaba siendo investigado tras varias denuncias ciudadanas (sic)”, escribió el ministro de seguridad, Gustavo Villatoro, en su cuenta de Twitter, el 10 de abril de 2022.

Sin embargo, la investigación interna de la Policía consigna que los agentes utilizaron información falsa e imprecisa en los documentos para justificar la detención del albañil. En el proceso judicial tampoco hay evidencia robusta sobre la supuestas actividades ilícitas de Grande Martínez, tanto que el juzgado le concedió libertad condicional y los fiscales ni se presentaron a la audiencia. “La Fiscalía no compareció a la audiencia”, dijo una fuente judicial, quien confirmó que el albañil recuperó su libertad cuatro días después de la audiencia, el viernes 17 de marzo de 2023.

El Faro: