Select Page

Internal documents of the National Civil Police (PNC) confirm that at least six people detained during the emergency regime were killed inside the prisons in the first 50 days of the measure, while at least two others died with signs of having been previously beaten. This fact contradicts the official version defended by President Nayib Bukele and his security cabinet, who have publicly stated that the inmates who died during the emergency regime died of natural causes.

“I have heard the opposition say that people are dying in prison. And that we are somehow killing the inmates or letting them die […] But people die in the prisons just as they die outside because they get sick. After all, they get old; some have terminal illnesses, etcetera,” said President Bukele during a live broadcast in which he appeared together with his expanded Security Cabinet on October 16.

However, internal PNC documents to which Revista Factum has had access contradict the president’s version. On May 18, 2022, just before a month and a half into the emergency regime, agent, Carlos Roberto Martínez Cabrera from the Police Information and Operational Control Center (COP) sent an email to José Norberto Brune Bonilla, the PNC’s legal representative, with the following message:

“Respectfully, with instructions from the Head of COP, I attach an Excel file referring to prisoners detained during the exception regime.”

He added an Excel file with the name “Deceased inmates from March 26 to May 18, 2022,” along with the email. 

The document contains a list of 24 inmates who died in police lockups nationwide between March 30 and May 8. For each deceased, the report details the name, date of capture, the prison where the detainee was held, date of death, and a brief description of the circumstances. In 6 of the 24 cases described, the authorities admit that the cause of death was homicide or “over-investigation of homicide,” as these victims are reported to have died with signs of having been beaten. 

Since the emergency regime officially began last March 27, several national and international human rights organizations and press reports have pointed out grave human rights violations, such as thousands of arbitrary detentions, torture, and dozens of dead inmates inside Salvadoran prisons. Cristosal, the organization that keeps the most extensive and detailed record of human rights violations under the emergency regime, counts 90 deaths inside the jails in the first seven months of the measure. This figure has been publicly confirmed by the Minister of Justice and Security, Gustavo Villatoro, who also added that this figure is “normal.”

Among the names appearing in the police document -whose cause of death is to be found out as “homicide” or injuries- is identified as Walter Vladimir Sandoval, 31, a sportsman and soccer fan whose case was made public through the press. According to the police report, around 10:00 a.m. on April 3, Sandoval was about to be admitted to Sector 3 of the Izalco Prison when “he began to act erratically and fell from the bleachers, becoming unconscious on the spot.” However, the same report states that “the autopsy result determined that the injuries caused to the victim were provoked, determining that the case becomes a homicide.”

The Human Rights Institute of the UCA (Idhuca) has documented accounts affirming that Walter was subdued and tortured by police from the central delegation of Ahuachapán.

According to a report in La Prensa Grafica, Sandoval’s family said that he was captured on March 30, near his home, when he was in a drunken state and that “witnesses saw how they (the police) beat him, demanding that he say he was a gang member when he was not.

Almost eight months after Walter’s death, his family still has not received the results of the autopsy performed by Medicina Legal. Idhuca, which legally accompanies the Sandoval Peñate family, has also not received the document that would help clarify the circumstances in which Walter, the youngest of three siblings, died. 

Walter’s parents are convinced that their son died due to a beating and did not believe the version of the police, who reported that the young athlete fell from some bleachers when he was about to be admitted to the Izalco prison. For this reason, they have been seeking justice since they received the corpse. “If I had known that Walter was a criminal, although it would have hurt me, I would have kept quiet; but I know him. That is why I have moved around different places trying to see that justice is done, because I knew him,” Walter’s father told Revista Factum. 

Another of the deaths that occurred inside the prisons and that was identified as “homicide” by the PNC is that of Romeo Mauricio Posada Urrutia, 57 years old, who, with his family, lived in Guatajiagua, Morazán. According to the police report, on May 16 of this year, Posada Urrutia was transferred from Phase 3 of the Izalco prison to the Jorge Mazzini hospital in Sonsonate “because he had health problems.” The same report states that upon arrival at the hospital, “the body had cracks in his hands and feet. The forensic doctor stated that the body presented generalized edema with skin sphacelation in the right upper limb”. A forensic doctor consulted by Factum explained that the description refers to the body being swollen and with burst skin. “In cases of people who have been beaten to death, it can be described as generalized edema. Otherwise, the autopsy would have to specify in which part of the body the edema is,” said the doctor, who preferred not to reveal his name for fear of reprisals.

According to a publication of El Diario de Hoy (EDH) on May 18, Posada Urrutia’s family claimed that he was captured for being the father of a gang member, which is not a crime under any Salvadoran law. In addition, the family also stated that the two had cut off communication for a long time. EDH reported that Posada Urrutia’s family suspected their relative was tortured before his death. “Images that family members showed to El Diario de Hoy showed Romeo’s entire right arm was purple and some parts of his skin were missing. The same injuries were seen on his back. His legs were also bruised, and he had stitches on his head”, said the publication.

Currently, Posada Urrutia’s daughters no longer reside in Guatajiagua. Other family members reported that they left because of police harassment. They also said that another daughter of the deceased prisoner was detained and, according to her relatives, was pressured – like her father – to inform her brother. The family is convinced that Posada Urrutia was murdered inside the prison. They claim that the last time Romeo saw his son – whom the police are insistently trying to capture – was five years ago when his mother died.

On the other hand, a case that had not been made public until now is that of José Luis Guevara Ulloa. When searching the internet, his name does not appear, but he is listed in the police report under “not publicly known” cases. However, the police itself recognizes him as a case of homicide inside the prisons during the emergency regime.

According to the report, Ulloa, 36, was detained on April 26 on charges of illicit groupings and was taken to cell number three of the police prison cells in San Miguel. Three days later, he was taken to the San Juan de Dios hospital, where he died in the emergency room. The report details that at the moment of his death, a prosecutor and a forensic doctor arrived at the hospital and determined that the cause of death was to be determined by “Violent Death Form 49460. It is modified to homicide”.

Revista Factum:

Documentos de PNC desmienten a Bukele y confirman homicidios en cárceles durante el régimen de excepción

Documentos internos de la Policía Nacional Civil (PNC) confirman que al menos seis personas detenidas durante el régimen de excepción fueron asesinadas dentro de las cárceles en los primeros 50 días de la medida; mientras que al menos otras dos murieron con signos de haber sido vapuleadas previamente. Este hecho contradice la versión oficial defendida por el presidente Nayib Bukele y su gabinete de seguridad, quienes han declarado públicamente que los reos fallecidos durante el régimen de excepción han muerto por causas naturales.

“Yo he escuchado a la oposición decir que en las cárceles muere gente. Y que nosotros estamos de alguna manera matando a los reos o dejándolos que mueran […] Pero en las cárceles muere gente como muere afuera porque se enferman, porque envejecen; hay unos que tienen enfermedades terminales, etcétera”, dijo el presidente Bukele durante una transmisión en vivo en la que apareció junto a su gabinete ampliado de Seguridad, el pasado 16 de octubre.

Sin embargo, documentos internos de la PNC a los que Revista Factum ha tenido acceso desmienten la versión del presidente. El 18 de mayo de 2022, poco antes de un mes y medio de iniciado el régimen de excepción, el agente Carlos Roberto Martínez Cabrera, del Centro de Información y Control Operativo Policial (COP), envió un correo electrónico a José Norberto Brune Bonilla, apoderado legal de la PNC, con el siguiente mensaje:

“Respetuosamente con instrucciones del señor Jefe de COP, adjunto archivo en Excel, referente a reos detenidos durante el régimen de excepción”.

Junto al correo añadió un archivo en Excel con el nombre “Reos fallecidos del 26 de marzo al 18 de mayo de 2022”. 

El documento contiene un listado de 24 reos fallecidos dentro de las bartolinas policiales a nivel nacional entre el 30 de marzo y el 8 de mayo. Por cada fallecido, el informe detalla nombre, fecha de captura, penal en que se encontraba el detenido, fecha en que falleció y una breve descripción de las circunstancias en las que murió. En 6 de los 24 casos descritos, las autoridades admiten que la causa de la muerte fue homicidio o “sobreaveriguar homicidio”, debido a que se reporta que estas víctimas murieron con señales de haber sido golpeadas. 

Desde que inició oficialmente el régimen de excepción, el pasado 27 de marzo, diversas organizaciones de derechos humanos nacionales e internacionales –así como reportes de prensa– han señalado graves violaciones a derechos humanos, como miles de detenciones arbitrarias, torturas y decenas de reos fallecidos dentro de las cárceles salvadoreñas. Cristosal, la organización que lleva el mayor y más detallado registro de violaciones a derechos humanos en el régimen de excepción contabiliza 90 muertos dentro de las prisiones en los primeros siete meses de la medida. Esta cifra ha sido confirmada públicamente por el ministro de Justicia y Seguridad, Gustavo Villatoro, quien además añadió que esa cifra es “normal”.

Entre los nombres que aparecen en el documento policial –cuya causa de muerte sobre averiguar es “homicidio” o lesiones– se identifica a Walter Vladimir Sandoval, de 31 años, un deportista y aficionado al fútbol cuyo caso se hizo público a través de la prensa. De acuerdo con el reporte policial, cerca de las 10:00 de la mañana del 3 de abril, Sandoval iba a ser ingresado al Sector 3 del Penal de Izalco, cuando “empezó a actuar de forma errática y se cayó de las gradas, quedando inconsciente en el lugar”. Sin embargo, el mismo reporte dice que “el resultado de la autopsia determinó que las lesiones causadas en la víctima fueron provocadas, determinando que el caso pasa a ser un homicidio”.

El Instituto de Derechos Humanos de la UCA (Idhuca) ha documentado relatos que afirman que a Walter lo sometieron y lo torturaron policías de la delegación central de Ahuachapán.

Según una publicación de La Prensa Gráfica, la familia de Sandoval aseguró que él fue capturado el 30 de marzo, cerca de su vivienda, cuando se encontraba en estado de ebriedad y que “testigos vieron cómo ellos (la policía) lo golpearon, exigiéndole decir que era pandillero; cuando no lo era”.

Casi ocho meses después de la muerte de Walter, su familia continúa sin recibir los resultados de la autopsia hecha por Medicina Legal. El Idhuca, que acompaña legalmente a los Sandoval Peñate, tampoco ha recibido el documento que ayudaría a aclarar las circunstancias en las que murió Walter, quien era el menor de tres hermanos.  

Los padres de Walter están convencidos de que su hijo falleció como consecuencia de una golpiza y no creen la versión de la Policía, que reportó que el joven deportista se cayó de unas gradas cuando iba a ser ingresado en el penal de Izalco. Por eso, desde que recibieron el cadáver buscan justicia. “Si yo hubiera sabido que Walter era un delincuente, aunque me hubiera dolido, me hubiera quedado callado; pero yo lo conozco. Por eso me he movido por diversos lugares tratando de ver que se haga justicia, porque lo conocía a él”, dijo el padre de Walter a Revista Factum. 

Otra de las muertes ocurridas dentro de los penales y que fue identificada como “homicidio” por la PNC es la de Romeo Mauricio Posada Urrutia, de 57 años, quien junto a su familia residía en Guatajiagua, Morazán. De acuerdo con el reporte policial, el 16 de mayo del presente año, Posada Urrutia fue trasladado desde la Fase 3 del penal de Izalco hacia el hospital Jorge Mazzini de Sonsonate «ya que tenía problemas de salud». El mismo reporte dice que al llegar al hospital, “el cuerpo presentaba grietas en manos y pies. El médico forense manifestó que el cuerpo presenta edema generalizado con esfacelación de piel en miembro superior derecho”. Un médico forense consultado por Factum explicó que la descripción hace referencia a que el cuerpo estaba hinchado y con la piel reventada. “En casos de personas que han recibido golpizas hasta la muerte, se puede describir como un edema generalizado. De lo contrario, la autopsia tendría que especificar en qué parte del cuerpo está el edema”, dijo el médico que prefirió no revelar su nombre por temor a represalias.

De acuerdo con una publicación de El Diario de Hoy (EDH) del 18 de mayo, la familia de Posada Urrutia aseguró que él fue capturado por ser el padre de un pandillero, lo cual en ninguna ley salvadoreña figura como un delito. Además, la familia también manifestó que ambos habían cortado comunicación desde hacía mucho tiempo. EDH informó que la familia de Posada Urrutia sospechaba de que su familiar fue torturado antes de su muerte. “Imágenes que familiares mostraron a El Diario de Hoy evidencian que Romeo tenía la totalidad del brazo derecho morado y algunas partes sin piel. Iguales lesiones se le observaban en la espalda. En las piernas también presentaba moretones y tenía suturas en la cabeza”, señaló, entonces, la publicación.

En la actualidad, las hijas de Posada Urrutia ya no residen más en Guatajiagua. Otros familiares relataron que ellas se fueron de ahí debido al acoso policial. Informaron, además, que otra hija del reo fallecido también fue detenida y, según sus parientes, también fue presionada –al igual que su padre– para que delatara a su hermano. La familia está convencida de que Posada Urrutia fue asesinado al interior del penal. Aseguran que la última vez que Romeo vio a su hijo –a quien insistentemente busca capturar la Policía– fue hace cinco años, cuando murió su madre.

Por otra parte, un caso que no había sido público, hasta ahora, es el de José Luis Guevara Ulloa. Al hacer una búsqueda en internet, su nombre no aparece, pero está enlistado en el informe policial dentro de los casos “no conocidos públicamente”. Sin embargo, la misma policía lo reconoce como un caso de homicidio dentro de las prisiones durante el régimen de excepción.

De acuerdo con el reporte, Ulloa, de 36 años, fue detenido el 26 de abril por el cargo de agrupaciones ilícitas y fue llevado a la celda número tres de las bartolinas policiales de San Miguel. Tres días después, fue llevado al hospital San Juan de Dios, donde murió en el área de Emergencias. El reporte detalla que al momento de su muerte, al hospital llegaron una fiscal y una médico forense, quienes determinaron que la causa de la muerte se iba a determinar mediante “Formulario de Muerte Violenta 49460. Se modifica a homicidio”.

Revista Factum: