Seleccionar página

The Supreme Court of Justice is maneuvering on three fronts while preparing its 2023 budget: it seeks to remove more judges and magistrates from their functions and appoint others to help process the cases of the Exception Regime. In addition, to reward those who are already hearing such cases with a salary increase. All this occurs on the eve of the negotiations of the nation’s general budget, the final approval of which is up to the Legislative Assembly. In the draft budget of the Court, the magistrates have prescribed a raise of $2,500 per month starting in 2023. The president of the Court justifies this by saying that since 2006 the magistrates have not changed institutional vehicles.

On the eve of the beginning of the legislative negotiations for the general budget of the nation, which has a deadline for approval in December, the Judicial Branch is preparing its budget. It is adapting to fulfill two functions: to reward those who lead the Supreme Court of Justice (CSJ) and the personnel in charge of the courts deciding the future of the people detained for almost six months of the Emergency Regime. And, contrary to these awards, it plans a new purge of judges and magistrates that could have made the Bukele government uncomfortable as a consequence of what happened a year ago when the deputies approved a reform to the Law of the Judicial Career that forced the separation of judges and magistrates of the Chamber over 60 years old or with 30 years of service.

The Court has approved a salary increase of US$2,500 as of January 2023 for the 15 Full Court magistrates and a monthly bonus of US$500 for judges appointed to hear cases under the Exception Regime exclusively. For now, these awards are only an agreement, as confirmed to El Faro on September 23 by Óscar López Jerez, president of the Court. The Legislative Assembly must approve the nation’s general budget by December 31 at the latest, and it is up to the Legislative Assembly to ratify the Court’s budget project.

El Faro had access to two documents for the construction of this article but also spoke via telephone for a few minutes with López Jeréz, who confirmed this. One of the documents is the draft of the decree of the «Law of economic compensation for voluntary retirement of officials included in the Judicial Career,» which proposes a way for the departure of more judges and magistrates in the same way as it was done last year. The president of the Court assures that they only knew the proposal but that its final approval is still pending because it is still under discussion. Another senior Court official explained to El Faro that the economic impact of the purge is still being evaluated. Regarding the reduction of judges as of 2021, the president of the Court told this newspaper: ‘I in my office gave each judge between 80 and 90 thousand dollars so that they could retire with dignity.

Two specialists consulted by El Faro indicated that this new voluntary retirement decree is, in reality, a forced purge that continues the purge that began last year and represents yet another blow to the little judicial independence that remained. The president of the Court told El Faro that although the new decree is almost a copy of the 2021 decree, details have yet to be fine-tuned. El Faro pointed out to him that the proposal speaks of voluntary retirement for those with 25 years of career but also explicitly states that it seeks to give continuity to last year’s purge, which automatically and arbitrarily removed from office judges of 60 years or more, or with 30 years of career, under the argument of purging the corrupt. López Jerez said he could not comment because there are unconstitutionality lawsuits filed against last year’s decree: ‘I cannot comment because I would be advancing criteria due to the cases we are studying.

The draft of the new decree, in a few words, can be summarized as follows: it proposes that those who have 60 years or 30 years of service have three options: to resign, ask the Court to remain as substitutes, or be included in the so-called availability regime, which was created with last year’s purge. And here is the crux of the matter: with the new decree, if the Court rejects the official’s choice of two options (to remain in availability or as an alternate), the judge will have one month to submit their final resignation. In other words, if an official wants to continue after 60 years or 30 years of service, but the Court does not want them to do so, the judge will have to resign.

El Faro: https://elfaro.net/es/202209/el_salvador/26392/Magistrados-de-la-Corte-acuerdan-aumentarse-el-salario-y-preparan-nueva-depuración-de-jueces.htm

Magistrados de la Corte acuerdan aumentarse el salario y preparan nueva depuración de jueces

En las vísperas del inicio de las negociaciones legislativas por el presupuesto general de la nación, que tiene como fecha límite para aprobarse diciembre, el Órgano Judicial está preparando su propio presupuesto y lo está adaptando para cumplir dos funciones: premiar a quienes dirigen la Corte Suprema de Justicia (CSJ) y al personal a cargo de los juzgados que están decidiendo el futuro de las personas detenidas en los casi seis meses del Régimen de Excepción. Y, en sentido contrario a esos premios, proyecta una nueva depuración de jueces y magistrados que podrían haber incomodado al Gobierno de Bukele, en consecuencia con lo que ocurrió hace un año cuando los diputados aprobaron una reforma a la Ley de la Carrera Judicial que obligó a la separación de jueces y magistrados de Cámara de más de 60 años o con 30 de servicio.

La Corte ya aprobó un aumento de salario de 2,500 dólares a partir de enero de 2023 para los 15 magistrados de Corte Plena, y un bono mensual de 500 dólares para los jueces nombrados para conocer exclusivamente los casos del Régimen de Excepción. Por ahora, estos premios son solo un acuerdo, según confirmó a El Faro este 23 de septiembre Óscar López Jerez, presidente de la Corte. La Asamblea Legislativa debe aprobar el presupuesto general de la nación a más tardar el 31 de diciembre y es quien debe ratificar el proyecto presupuestario de la Corte.

El Faro tuvo acceso a dos documentos para la construcción de este artículo, pero además conversó vía telefónica durante unos minutos con López Jeréz, quien lo confirmó. Uno de los documentos es el borrador del decreto de la «Ley de compensación económica por retiro voluntario de los funcionarios comprendidos en la Carrera Judicial» que plantea una vía para la salida de más jueces y magistrados de la misma manera en que se hizo el año pasado. El presidente de la Corte asegura que solo conocieron la propuesta pero que falta su aprobación final porque sigue en discusión. Otro alto funcionario de la Corte explicó a El Faro que aun se está evaluando el impacto económico que la depuración tendrá. Sobre ese recorte de jueces a partir de 2021, el presidente de la Corte dijo a este medio: ‘yo mismo en mi despacho le di a cada juez entre 80 y 90 mil dólares para que se retiraran dignamente’.

Dos especialistas consultados por El Faro indicaron que este nuevo decreto de retiro voluntario en realidad es una depuración forzosa que continúa la purga que inició el año pasado y representa un golpe más a la poca independencia judicial que quedaba. El presidente de la Corte dijo a El Faro que si bien el nuevo decreto es casi una copia del de 2021, falta afinar detalles. El Faro le hizo ver que la propuesta habla de un retiro voluntario para quienes tengan 25 años de carrera, pero también consigna explícitamente que se busca darle continuidad a la depuración del año pasado que cesó de sus cargos automáticamente y de manera arbitraria a los jueces de 60 o más años, o con 30 de carrera, bajo el argumento de depurar a los corruptos. López Jerez dijo que no podía opinar porque existen demandas de inconstitucionalidad planteadas contra el decreto del año pasado: ‘No puedo comentar porque estaría adelantando criterio debido a las demandas que estamos estudiando’.

El borrador del nuevo decreto, en pocas palabras, se puede resumir así: propone que quien tenga 60 años o 30 de servicio tiene tres opciones: presentar su renuncia, solicitar a la Corte quedarse como suplentes o ser incluido en el llamado régimen de disponibilidad, que fue creado con la depuración del año pasado. Y aquí está lo medular: con el nuevo decreto, si la Corte rechaza que el funcionario elija dos de las opciones (quedar en disponibilidad o como suplente), el juez tendrá un mes para presentar su renuncia definitiva. Es decir, si un funcionario quiere continuar tras cumplir 60 años o 30 de servicio, pero la Corte no quiere, el juez deberá renunciar.

El Faro: https://elfaro.net/es/202209/el_salvador/26392/Magistrados-de-la-Corte-acuerdan-aumentarse-el-salario-y-preparan-nueva-depuración-de-jueces.htm